PDA

View Full Version : get on yer bike !!!!

cold.man
28-01-2012, 01:01 PM
thinking of getting a push bike to get fit again.
the years go by like a flash its crazy !!! i used to be a boxer in the army so i used to be really fit doing plenty of roadwork etc in my younger days.
been out of the army for 15 years now and been in this job since then which isn't that great on the knees so i don't think i could run like i used to.
got five kids so no time for keeping fit over the years has been on the back burner but now there all older its time to get rid of those cob webs i think.

ive seen on here some of you guys do cycling whats better road biking or mountain biking ?

frank
28-01-2012, 08:46 PM
Good move cold.man.....it's never too late to take up the exercise again.
I've got a mountain bike as there are plenty of off road woods local to me but I've also got semi slick tyres which I fit if I fancy a run out on the roads or canal path

If you intend to do heavy mileage the go for the road bike, but personally I like a mix of road and off road
Got to say though, it's playing havoc with my knee joints as I get older

install monkey
28-01-2012, 09:14 PM
dont take ur wallet out on the bike frank!:o

Good move cold.man.....it's never too late to take up the exercise again.
I've got a mountain bike as there are plenty of off road woods local to me but I've also got semi slick tyres which I fit if I fancy a run out on the roads or canal path

If you intend to do heavy mileage the go for the road bike, but personally I like a mix of road and off road
Got to say though, it's playing havoc with my knee joints as I get older

chilliwilly
28-01-2012, 11:05 PM
I tried it last May, I only did less than a mile on an incline and I went light headed. The bike has been lent against the garage wall ever since.

cold.man
28-01-2012, 11:35 PM
at least the intension was there chilliwilly !!!! i think the hills in yorkshire are a bit bigger than the ones on stockport hopfully i will be ok.

cheers for the advise frank it makes sense that just by seperate wheels rather than 2 bikes.
hopfully i will get started next week get in a routine before summer.

install monkey
28-01-2012, 11:42 PM
coldman-you have to pedal fast through stockport or youll get mugged of ur wheels!

cold.man
28-01-2012, 11:56 PM
or get my head cut off and burnt to death !!!!!

install monkey
29-01-2012, 12:02 AM
Two brothers appear in court charged in connection with 'headless body' murder of John Grainger in Stockport (http://menmedia.co.uk/stockportexpress/news/crime/s/1472310_two-brothers-appear-in-court-charged-in-connection-with-headless-body-murder-of-john-grainger-in-stockport)
reference to the previous post=local news- stockport advertiser

mikeref
29-01-2012, 12:05 AM
at least the intension was there chilliwilly !!!! i think the hills in yorkshire are a bit bigger than the ones on stockport hopfully i will be ok.

cheers for the advise frank it makes sense that just by seperate wheels rather than 2 bikes.
hopfully i will get started next week get in a routine before summer. It's the thought that counts. Mentally fit to take on any physical activity, especially when there is pain involved;).

chilliwilly
30-01-2012, 12:54 AM
I suppose the mind was willing but the flesh was weak!

spimps
02-02-2012, 11:05 PM
thinking of getting a push bike to get fit again.
the years go by like a flash its crazy !!! i used to be a boxer in the army so i used to be really fit doing plenty of roadwork etc in my younger days.
been out of the army for 15 years now and been in this job since then which isn't that great on the knees so i don't think i could run like i used to.
got five kids so no time for keeping fit over the years has been on the back burner but now there all older its time to get rid of those cob webs i think.

ive seen on here some of you guys do cycling whats better road biking or mountain biking ?

I'm 65 shortly and got into cycling 20 years ago,love it,100 miles a week uually.
Best advice is start with a road/mountain bike,ditch the knobbly tyres,get some smoothish profile,inflate to the max around 70-80psi,rolls much better.
Keep on a flat road if you can for 30 minutes first,you should then be warmed up and try an incline, if you feel the pain slack off,always try and stay within 75% of your max effort.
Gears and gearing are a real help,get into a comfortable cadence (pedal rotation per minute) and use the gears to keep the cadence the same when encountering slopes.
Go to a decent bike shop and get him to set you up in the correct position for your size so you dont waste energy.
Start on the road going a little further each time you go out,when you get a bit fitter then you can decide which way to go,if you kept the knobbly tyres you can soon revert to off road,mountain bikes are like 4 wheel drive vehicles in that 99% never go "off road"
I have both types,Trek carbon fibre for the road in good weather and a hybrid,MTB with slick tyres for when its bad weather,dont go off road on it at all.
keep your eyes on the road,potholes:(

Magoo
03-02-2012, 12:58 AM
Gave up jogging daily when I read that the bloke that wrote the book "jogging for health "died from heart attach while jogging. There was a message there I thought.

spimps
04-02-2012, 04:54 PM
Did a 30 mile ride Saturday am,sunny but freezing temps, warmed up after half an hour.1 hour in went to take a drink from the bottle and it had partly frozen.

cold.man
04-02-2012, 05:17 PM
cheers for the advice spimps !!!

spimps
04-02-2012, 05:31 PM
I've just added my hybrid bike (Giant ally frame,excellent entry nike) in the avatar picture,Spain last year!

dt8project
23-04-2012, 10:47 PM
been biking about 3 times a week for a couple of years now, I really enjoy it. My advice is leave your phone at home, carry plenty of water and have a good breakfast!!!!!! One thing that does make a big difference is the wind, its very hard work going against it, but fantastic when its behind you.... if your gonna go on the road, make you wear hi-viz....... and lights if its dusk or dark........ there is some REALLY bad drivers out there, it gets scary at times:rolleyes:...... but I lost nearly a stone in weight in weeks riding and another thing is that you sleep like a log after you have been out on the bike:)

Goober
24-04-2012, 05:03 AM
Been mountain biking myself on and off for about three years now, when I get out I love it, it's the actual getting out that is the real struggle, but once over the intial pain it is great fun. I too like the idea of having two sets of wheels for road and off road....