View Full Version : COP Monitors

Jon Glanfield
27-01-2012, 06:53 AM
Has anyone come across these, apparently they are very common usage in Finland and we are thinking of trying one to see how they go, but wondered if anyone had tried them and wouldn't bother again. As far as I know it won't provide a SCOP but might be useful for point in time checks.



27-01-2012, 08:04 PM
Where do you put it and what does it do? No rude answers please.....

mad fridgie
27-01-2012, 10:15 PM
They are water energy meters, I use them in for what i do. You still a electrical meter.
For example I had on my domestic hot water cylinder, measuring water coming and out (going to baths and the like) I then had a meter on the element and or heat pump (depending on which I was testing) I found that for example I was loosing 19% of the energy produced from the cylinder installation (tank, valves expansion pipes)
I then could compare System COP and COP comparison.
So it is important that you pick the correct location to achieve the results that you want.
At the heat pump for "heat pump COP" (this what you get from the manufactures) and at the application for system COP (includes install losses)

28-01-2012, 04:28 AM
I've seen much the same thing as MF has mentioned. Even apparently 'small' details such as heat-pump piping connections to/from the hot water cylinder, will have a huge effect on the overall system efficiency.Folks get confused between the full system efficiency & that of the heat-pump efficiency itself. The manufacturer has to test the heat-pump under controlled circumstances & measure at points located generally inside the heat-pump body. These water COP devices measure the system itself.

28-01-2012, 12:37 PM
Yup, I've put in probably 100 of them on solar systems for long term test but the pricing was never as good as those on fleabay.

28-01-2012, 05:22 PM
The ones we use cost close to a Grand€€. The ones on EBay would be ok if you selling energy by the KW to apartments or something but not accurate enough for COP. You'll also need an electrical meter as MF mentioned.
Kamstrup make the best units out there. You need set them up in a specific way. Laminar flow through the ultrasonic pipe and turbulant flow across the temperature sensors.