PDA

View Full Version : FFP187BP not Freezing

stuey
26-01-2012, 01:48 PM
Hi,

First post here, so go easy please.
My Hotpoint FFP187BP freezer has been acting up of late. It wasnt freezing properly, so after a bit of investigating I removed the falsework panel at the back of the freezer to reveal the "freezer element". This was all iced up so I de-iced it, reassembled the freezer, and everything worked perfectly for about 2 months. Now the same again. A few websites mention that the defrost heater can give problems. Is there anyway of testing this heater. I did put a multimeter on it, and got a reading, but without any spec.'s on the heater its hard to tell is the resistance value is correct or not????
To try an accertain if the heater is working, I am trying to see if any water actually flows out of the freezer via the drain pipe - but I dont know the heating cycle of the heater....
So my questions are, 1) what values should I get, in Ohms, for the Heater if it is working, (2) is there any other reason why my freezer should be frosting up, (3) have I any way of testing the heater, and (4) if I do need to replace the heater, how tricky is it?
Thanks for your help

install monkey
26-01-2012, 10:19 PM
was it overfilled or door not fully closed,or door seal not airtight?

stuey
27-01-2012, 03:18 PM
I wouldnt say it was over filled - the boxes were/are full, but not so that the drawers jam. The door is always firmly closed, but the seal did seem a bit dislodged - but on the outside. I suppose it may be that air was being drawn from the outside in. Thats has been sorted now, but there is still no sign of any melt water from inside the freezer coming out into the evaporation bowl on top of the compressor unit.

tonto33
27-01-2012, 06:27 PM
it want a defrost heater and cut out and lower it down abit

stuey
27-01-2012, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the replies.
When you say "lower it down a bit", what are you refering to? The entire defrost heater and chiller assembly? I noticed there only seems to be 2 screws holding it in place. And how far down do I need to lower it?
For the defrost heater, I think this http://www.buyspares.co.uk/fridge-freezer/ffp187bp-39774/defrost-heater-kit/product.pl?pid=1656085&shop=hotpoint&path=52514&model_ref=513391 is the correct replacement kit. The picture only shows the thermostat and cut-off but does state that the heater is also included in the kit. Can anyone confirm this for me?
Again, thanks for all the help....

tonto33
27-01-2012, 09:28 PM
https://parts.hotpointservice.co.uk/catalog/pdf/n3007j00.pdf

stuey
27-01-2012, 11:59 PM
Excellent info... Its good to know there is a "proper" fix to the problem.
Would I be correct in assuming what I refer to as a thermostat (White block with 4 wires - Red, Blue, Black and Grey) is actually the thermistor for the control of the heater? I only ask because this would indicate which Kit I need to source to solve my problem.
Also is it a straight swop out - take out broken heater, and install new unit?
You did mention lowering the heater down a bit. What did you mean by this?
Thanks....

tonto33
28-01-2012, 08:08 AM
yep it thermistor , straight swap over when fit new one lower the thermistor down a little bit more than was before

stuey
30-01-2012, 12:28 PM
Thanks for your help. Order those parts at the weekend - waiting for them to arrive now.
Is there anything else in the circuit I need to check - is there a timer for the heater or anything like that. Its a bit hard to know where the 6 wires in the freezer disappear to as there is nothing visible behind the fridge.
Will let you know how I get on with the replacement parts....

stuey
02-02-2012, 05:01 PM
Just wondering if anyone knows what the silver tape is for. It was in the kit with the heater and thermistor. Thanks.

tonto33
02-02-2012, 05:41 PM
to reflect the heat from the element

stuey
02-02-2012, 06:40 PM
Makes sense, but where do I apply it?

stuey
02-02-2012, 07:41 PM
OK.... New Heater element fitted. Its bigger - longer than the older element - but it fits into the grooves in the freezer cooling fins nicely. Checking the thermistor showed a open circuit on one side as compared to the new thermistor supplied with the new heater element. Just need to find out where to apply the aluminium/silver tape now, and everything is good to go, and hope it all works. As suggested here, I located the thermistor lower down on the freezer.
Will report back any more problems. If anyone thinks I have done anything wrong, please drop me a line.
Thanks to all for their help....

tonto33
02-02-2012, 08:13 PM
tape goes on back wall behind heater