PDA

View Full Version : Daikin Altherma HT - Theft protection

wiffola
23-01-2012, 02:49 PM
Hi All,

I'm having a Daikin Altherma HT installed next week and am a bit concerned over the outdoor unit and hydrobox being outside. We live near a road and people will be able to see the installation passing by.

We havent full decided whether to have them freestanding or whether to have the up against the gable wall.

Is there anyway of securing the unit to the ground or house wall?

Any suggestions?

ginger prince
23-01-2012, 03:02 PM
dont worry no one will nick it it weighs about half a ton the boys will never be able to lift it

wiffola
23-01-2012, 03:34 PM
well if it can be carried in, i'm worried it can be carried out!

Any security suggestions?

stufus
23-01-2012, 04:13 PM
Bolt it to.the ground, if on a solid surface and fit a security cage.
Failing that get a BFD.
Cheers
Stu

wiffola
23-01-2012, 04:15 PM
Thanks, whats a BFD?

stufus
23-01-2012, 04:22 PM
Sorry thats a joke.
BFD stands for
Big F*#king Dog.
Your installer should be able to provide you with a security cage.
Cheers
Stu

da ginge
23-01-2012, 04:29 PM
Security cage for the is that lol

da ginge
23-01-2012, 04:38 PM
surposed to say is that for the dog lol

wiffola
23-01-2012, 04:56 PM
haha! Dog would do it.

The installers say it will have a pea gravel soak away so not sure how I can bolt it. Maybe cage agaisnt the wall would work.

It's going to add £100+ to add it to my home insurance!!

stufus
23-01-2012, 06:06 PM
Ideally the unit would be raised off the ground on a frame or mounted on brackets on the wall ,believe me you do not want it on a bed of pea gravel ,water lodging in the base of these machines is well known to cause serious problems during cold weather,free drainage is the key,a drain pan heater is available I believe.
Prefabricated cages are available from most good equipment suppliers ,similar to these
http://www.pumphousepumps.com/GroupInfo.aspx?Id=171

C (http://www.pumphousepumps.com/GroupInfo.aspx?Id=171)heers
Stu

hyperion
23-01-2012, 09:47 PM
I thought that Daikin recommend a minimum of 100mm space between the base of the unit and the ground surface to ensure that free drainage occurs.

stufus
23-01-2012, 10:14 PM
Obviously the bloke who wants to set it on a bed of gravel did not bother to RTFM.
Cheers
Stu

I thought that Daikin recommend a minimum of 100mm space between the base of the unit and the ground surface to ensure that free drainage occurs.

Steven_AC
15-02-2012, 07:48 PM
Lay slabs on a bed of hardcore, drill through through middle of the feet and anchor to the concrete/cement mix, fix unit to feet and grind corners of the bolts? no one will take it with out spending a couple hours! cheaper and looks better then a cage! shingle round the slabs is a must to

frank
16-02-2012, 07:52 PM
Hi All,

I'm having a Daikin Altherma HT installed next week and am a bit concerned over the outdoor unit and hydrobox being outside.
Are you aware that the Hydrobox is not weatherproof and is designed to be fitted indoors?

styrman
21-02-2012, 12:16 PM
Are you aware that the Hydrobox is not weatherproof and is designed to be fitted indoors?

As I went through the topic just waited who would bring this up... Hydrobox should be inside...

The out door unit has to be mounted quite a bit above ground... there's lot of water ( ice ) accumulating during winter time. And I guess a good bracket/rack, wall mount and secured bolts of the feet unit should make it difficult to take off... Plus they have to cut pipies going to the indoor unit...

wiffola
05-03-2012, 09:12 AM

its in a weather tight insulated box. Custom made. I wouldnt want that noisey thing in the house it would drive me insane!

wiffola
05-03-2012, 09:24 AM
Lay slabs on a bed of hardcore, drill through through middle of the feet and anchor to the concrete/cement mix, fix unit to feet and grind corners of the bolts? no one will take it with out spending a couple hours! cheaper and looks better then a cage! shingle round the slabs is a must to

Thanks for the advice - I only just read this (after our installation) but this is exactly how it has been installed. Drilled out cross head screws to be exact. I feel a lot less worried about security now it's all installed. But it's all added to the house insurance without an increase in premium. They just stipulated that the outdoor unit was bolted to the concrete base and the hydrox box enclosure was locked with a padlock. The concrete bases had to located agaisnt the house. They wouldnt cover the units being away from the wall of the house. So thats worked out well.

Thanks for your help.