PDA

View Full Version : Rankine Cycle

CDial
22-01-2012, 02:06 AM
Hi all,
Great forum you have here. I'd like to ask a couple questions about an Organic Rankine Cycle using refrigerant. I know this falls on the outskirts of refrigeration and gets into hypotheticals, but I will be using a refrigerant in my experiment. Even if I have to lower my collector temperatures. If you had up to a 400 degree F heat source and a turbine expander/generator, how would you build the rest of your Rankine cycle? I am bogged down here with picking the correct refrigerant, (due to excessive pressures) and what type of pump to use to pump the refrigerant to the heat source. (Hydraulic?) Do I need any type of tank before the pump etc etc... It is a very fascinating concept of producing electricity on lower heat sources. I'm just a little over my head with designing the whole system. And too hard headed to hire someone without first trying to build it. Making the expander and building solar collectors was the easy part so far. I had originally designed this in my head using steam but the idea of a refrigerant producing power at much lower temperatures has me scouring the internet looking for a good setup as a base to start with. I know it's an unusual question. Thanks for any input.

NoNickName
22-01-2012, 09:46 AM
400°F? The best refrigerant is R718.