PDA

View Full Version : HFC Pipe colour code for painting???

monkey spanners
17-01-2012, 04:41 PM
Hello peeps!

Am installing a 20kw ice builder with a remote condenser and would like to paint the uninsulated pipe work just to make it look better, but could not find any guidelines as to which colour is recommended for refrigerant pipe work.

The only thing i could find was for the colour of the labels used to identify the contents of the pipe but nothing about the pipe colour itself.

Cheers Jon :)

MikeHolm
17-01-2012, 05:27 PM

here ya go dude

chemi-cool
17-01-2012, 05:55 PM
We paint uninsulated pipe - hot gas = red
Liquid line = Green

But If just want it to look good, choose any colour you like, blue and yellow will be nice :-)

chillerman2006
17-01-2012, 06:17 PM
I think tartan looks nice and I do believe it comes in spray cans now

monkey spanners
17-01-2012, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the replies!

Mike, i guess by basic colour on the chart they mean pipe colour? I always stuggle understanding things like that unless its really spelled out well!
(thats why i hate multiple choice questions in tests, i can never pick an answer without asking a question)

Found this just now,

http://www.johnstonestrade.com/media/18048/pipeline%20identification%20leaflet.pdf

Which seems to agree with the yellow colour!

Chemi, i've seen red on hot gas and liquid lines too, and also another site where everything was just painted the same grey as the pack. I like the idea of different colours for hot gas and liquid etc.

Does anyone know if these colours are just a guideline or is it something we have to abide by?

Cheers Jon :)

monkey spanners
17-01-2012, 06:21 PM
I think tartan looks nice and I do believe it comes in spray cans now

Goes off to ebay for tartan paint....:D

chemi-cool
17-01-2012, 06:49 PM
Jon,
I did some work at a new veterinary hospital lately, Pipe had to be painted:
Vacuum = Gray
Oxygen = Green
NO2 = Blue
Air = White

I guess there is no certain code for refrigeration pipes, so just choose whatever you like.

stufus
17-01-2012, 06:54 PM
As far as I know from what I've seen working in Pharma/chem plants
RED=discharge
Blue=suction
Green=liquid
Water=black
Waste/drainage=white

Cheers
Stu

MikeHolm
17-01-2012, 10:15 PM
Over here Yellow is only for natural gas or propane and outdoors you can use gray as well. Red is only for fire sprinklers.

MikeHolm
17-01-2012, 10:22 PM
Paint the pipe tartan but .....which one. I suppose i would have to do a MacKenzie but i don't know about you. You could make it your signature piece.

stufus
17-01-2012, 10:33 PM
Over here you have to use a certain shade of yellow for nat gas.
And the red for discharge is more of a maroon.
Cheers
Stu

monkey spanners
17-01-2012, 10:50 PM
I think i have two different tartans, the older one was a lighter blue if i remember correctly. Keep threatening to get myself a kilt, not sure it would go down well at work...

monkey spanners
17-01-2012, 11:00 PM
Over here you have to use a certain shade of yellow for nat gas.
And the red for discharge is more of a maroon.
Cheers
Stu

Commercial gas lines always seem to be a light sandy yellow colour here. I might call in at TH Whites and see what tractor paint i like the look of!

chillerman2006
17-01-2012, 11:02 PM
Paint the pipe tartan but .....which one. I suppose i would have to do a MacKenzie but i don't know about you. You could make it your signature piece.

well there is the mainly green tartan and the mainly red, so sorted

chillerman2006
17-01-2012, 11:04 PM
Commercial gas lines always seem to be a light sandy yellow colour here.

Take your sunglasses off Jon... all the ones are see on site are bright sunny yellow :D

monkey spanners
17-01-2012, 11:32 PM
Take your sunglasses off Jon... all the ones are see on site are bright sunny yellow :D

Damn welding goggles why do you mock me so?

Wouldn't be the first time i though it was home time after doing some brazing and it had gotten dark outside...... :o

MikeHolm
18-01-2012, 01:15 AM
you have to wear the goggles.. look what it did to Cm when he didn't use them (see avatar)