View Full Version : Hello from Sydney, Australia........Need course advice?

17-01-2012, 12:48 AM
Hello everyone. I found this forum through a google search. So much information. Might need to take some time out to read.

I have been in the airconditioning industry for nearly 10 years now. Working for a major Daikin dealer as a service technician. I also started a part time business on the side to supplement my income. It's been going strong for 3 years now. I am planning to leave my job and go full time with my business. Business is artick approved and fully licenced.

Before i do that i wanted to be able to do a course to cover my electrical side. Is there any form of short electrical course which can cover me installing circuit breakers on the main switch board and running wires in relation to air conditioning installation. I contacted TAFE last year and they said none and that's i'd have to do the full electrical course and show electrical work experience. No i know i am not stupid enough to leave a well paid job to go and work as an apprentice for $500/week.

Anyone suggest any courses for me please or if you have any contacts within TAFE who can help.

17-01-2012, 02:29 AM
you can become an electrical installer or an electrical service tech but that wont allow you to carry out work at the board .
you might just have to subcontract that part .

17-01-2012, 10:27 AM
Nope, you need to be dual trade, ie need to do a shortened electrician apprenticeship, plus get the contractors licence after.
No other way you are allowed to legally do your own wiring in Oz.

20-01-2012, 05:20 AM
And what is the "shortened electrician apprenticeship". I now a full course is 3 years or 4 i think

26-01-2012, 04:05 PM
do the tafe course and get one of your sparky mates to sign off on you hours and competence....

26-01-2012, 06:35 PM
When i worked in OZ i remeber talking to an engineer at heatcraft who was or was looking into doing it the way jason09 has just mentioned. Whether or not he was succesful doing it that way im not sure to be honest.

27-01-2012, 01:59 PM
Well in the end short or non short course you will have to do an exam. Prac and theory to get your license. And than a contractors course one year in QLD to contract for work. No easy road you need to know your stuff to get both licenses