PDA

View Full Version : Hello.

sweetmango
16-01-2012, 08:11 PM
Hello.

I was wondering how many of you have considered stainless steel tubing as an alternative to copper? It is not that I am trying to use it, because I probably don't have the tools for it,

chemi-cool
16-01-2012, 08:15 PM
Its cheaper but you need a Tig welder, a bottle of Argon and it can not absorb vibrations as copper.

RANGER1
16-01-2012, 08:16 PM
sweetmango,
We are using it in industrial already for some time.
Also on a large R22 plant several years ago, its cheaper than it used to be & easy to handle & no painting.

For smaller lines annealed copper can be used same as copper.

Grizzly
16-01-2012, 09:03 PM
For smaller lines annealed copper can be used same as copper.

Slightly confused there my friend!

Annealed copper is still copper, only it's been heated to make it malleable (Soft and pliable).
As copper age hardens.
Grizzly

chillerman2006
17-01-2012, 12:26 AM
Hi sweetmango

no relation to the boys favourite 'sweetmeg' are you ?

MikeHolm
17-01-2012, 02:18 AM
I've been looking ito it and there are high silver content brazes for use on 300 series SS. Handy Harmon 380 to 505 series flux core sticks. It works really well and we are trying it for shock at the moment and so far it is really strong. We are drilling a 3/8" test hole in 1-3/8" thin wall pipe for the tests. HH brazes are a bit pricey but it doesn't take much.

CM, that is one weird avatar.......

RANGER1
17-01-2012, 09:28 AM
slightly confused there my friend!

Annealed copper is still copper, only it's been heated to make it malleable (soft and pliable).
As copper age hardens.
Grizzly

sorry, correction, its meant to say annealed stainless steel for smaller lines is like annealed copper to work with.