PDA

View Full Version : Compressor Efficiency Test.

Roan
11-01-2012, 07:46 AM
Good day Everyone.

Must say I enjoy going through all the threads on this Forum, learned alot ! And now I am finally doing my first post.

I was wondering if anybody could explain to me how to do a proper efficiency test on a compressor ? I will be installing a exchange compressor in a package plant tomorrow and one of the questions on the company's compressor installation warranty schedule is "Do efficiency test on valve plates and record findings?"

any help will be greatly welcomed.

Regards
Roan

stufus
11-01-2012, 10:24 AM
Have a read through this.

This is also referred to as a compressor pump test. It is carried out when the functions of the compressor suction and discharge valves are suspect; this will be indicated by high suction and low discharge pressures. The test should be carried out with the plant running at an operating head pressure of at least 100 psig or 6.5 bar if possible in order to prove the efficiency of the valves.
The procedure is as follows:
1. Front seat the suction service valve and note the cut-out pressure of the low pressure control.-The control must be reset to its original cut-out pressure after the test.
2. Alter the range of the low pressure control so that the compressor is drawing a vacuum.
3. Reduce the low side pressure to at least 20 in Hg vacuum or 0.7 bar.
4. Stop the compressor and observe the pressure rise on the compound gauge for 2 minutes.
If the suction reeds are seating properly and cylinder/piston wear is not excessive, the pull-down to a vacuum should be rapid. The front seating of the suction service valve isolates pressure coming from the evaporator, and only the compressor crankcase is being evacuated of the refrigerant vapour. A compressor is deemed reasonably efficient if the 20 in vacuum is achieved. If it is not possible to draw this vacuum, then the suction reeds are defective.
When a 20 in vacuum is achieved, the pressure rise should be minimal; the entire vacuum should not be lost over the 2 minute observation period. When the vacuum is drawn and the plant switched off, if a rapid rise in pressure is observed on the compound gauge then refrigerant vapour is leaking into the cylinder(s) via the discharge valve(s). The valves must be inspected for distortion of reeds or faulty seating.
SOURCE-RTC

Cheers
Stu

Roan
12-01-2012, 05:16 AM
Hi Stu,

Thanks for your response. helps a lot.

Roan

Simeonx1
12-01-2012, 09:23 AM
wow i never new this . the holding a vacuum part . if it cant means the seals are not closing corrently which would mean it doesnt pump as good . it all makes sense now

The part about the high suction and low discharge i knew .

stufus
12-01-2012, 01:08 PM
There you go !!
Everyday's a learning day..
Cheers
Stu