PDA

View Full Version : where are the tarnsport refrigeration engineers?

djbe
29-10-2005, 12:44 AM
O.K so i've been browsing this forum for almost a year now but there seems to be little input from transport ref. engineers:confused:

Perhaps they are all too busy and knackered:eek: out till 3.00 every morning trying to get it going because it's loaded and we've got no spares?

Anybody out there, execpt for the usual suspects?:D

botrous
29-10-2005, 01:09 AM
Maybe hiding or working undercover . . . . :cool:

alpha
03-11-2005, 06:51 PM
Lurking :)

Simple
04-11-2005, 08:13 PM
Watching :)

Latte
05-11-2005, 03:22 PM
I dont know about tarnsport:eek: but there are plenty of TRANSPORT engineers on the forum.

What do you want to discuss. TK & Carrier seem fairly quiet at the moments as are changes in the dealer network. Having said that it will probably all change next week. So what do yyou want to discuss, start a topic and i am sure all the transport guys will reply

Regards

Fatboy

Simple
05-11-2005, 06:30 PM
I look in quite often but I don't chat because I choose not to, after working all day on refrigeration units, I am not really bothered about talking about it, but I do watch, not everyone is from TK or Carrier, Other manufacturers do exist, although not as big in the top end of the market, we kick ass in the small van range :cool:

alpha
08-11-2005, 01:07 AM
Other manufacturers do exist, although not as big in the top end of the market, we kick ass in the small van range :cool:

Well if I had to define kick ass in small vans it would just have to be either Otley or Melton.

Tk and Carrier really do suck when it comes to small vans, they should really stick with big stuff :D

Simple
08-11-2005, 10:39 PM
Nice one Alpha, that's narrowed down where I work then, and yes I agree that TK and Carrier should stick to the big stuff. Its what they do best. ;)

Latte
11-11-2005, 12:19 AM
Well if I had to define kick ass in small vans it would just have to be either Otley or Melton.

Tk and Carrier really do suck when it comes to small vans, they should really stick with big stuff :D

Never heard of them, the forums slow on the mobile front so lets have a discussion about them. Why are they better and whats wong with the TK/Carrier stuff.

I have come across Hubbard and they seem OK.

LETS GO !!!

Regards

Fatboy

alpha
11-11-2005, 01:50 AM
Otley is where Hubbard are located, Melton is Gah.

Latte
11-11-2005, 03:45 AM
Otley is where Hubbard are located, .

I should have realised, i have got lost enough times going there getting Scotsman spares. I am ok until i turn off the A140 and then i have had it. Do the highways agency in suffolk have a budget on roadsigns :eek:

Regards

Fatboy

alpha
11-11-2005, 12:18 PM
Hi, getting lost, I know the feeling on that one, my first visit had me driving about for ages looking too:D

Back to what is the better unit, well I do not want to get too deep into this for one reason or another, all the manufacturers units pay my wages so that's good enough for me....

Daddy Cool
11-11-2005, 03:12 PM
My only dealing with transport refrigeration was when someone that worked for M&S asked if we could devise a system that would release nitrogen into the back of the trailer, and be vented to atmosphere when the lorry arrived.

I just though, here we go, a call from Broadmoor again, and said no.

Please don't tell me I turned away a fantastic opportunity through ignorance, or was he really insane?

Latte
11-11-2005, 06:20 PM
My only dealing with transport refrigeration was when someone that worked for M&S asked if we could devise a system that would release nitrogen into the back of the trailer, and be vented to atmosphere when the lorry arrived.

Done That on many occassions when pressure testing in the back of a 40ft artic and have lost count how many times i nearly passed out due to oxygen deprivation when the evap is leaking.

My question is WHY would you knowingly vent nitrogeon into a trailer :confused:

Regards

Fatboy

alpha
11-11-2005, 09:36 PM
BOC Transhield rings a bell here.

djbe
11-11-2005, 10:02 PM
Why are they better and whats wong with the TK/Carrier stuff.

And you correct me on my spelling!!:D

Anyway good way to start a discussion.:)

I've always found Hubbard and GAH to be generally good units. The only difference is that Hubbard are great to deal with if you want technical info and spares whereas GAH are not.

Carrier direct drives work great for 6-12 months until they get moisture in the system, why do they have this problem? No sign of refrigerant loss/leakage but frozen expansion valves seem to be the norm. change the drier and away you go again until next time.

TK's seem to work well except for those in cab controllers (solder joints crack on the PCB), stuck fan relays, stuck on relays. And I do wish they wouldn't use those ORS fittings, have you ever tried ordering any?

Finally at least Hubbard and T.K use autoclimate mount kits - great to fit with proper instructions and good spares backup.
GAH seem to love their meccano set kits with the kind of instructions you get with a flat pack kitchen. (I can't speak for Carrier on this one).

Latte
11-11-2005, 11:35 PM
I've always found Hubbard and GAH to be generally good units. The only difference is that Hubbard are great to deal with if you want technical info and spares whereas GAH are not.

TK's seem to work well except for those in cab controllers (solder joints crack on the PCB), stuck fan relays, stuck on relays. And I do wish they wouldn't use those ORS fittings, have you ever tried ordering any?

I Couldn't aggree more about Hubbard & Scotsman Backup. Everytime i have had a problem i just phone them, they sort it out over the phone and e-mail me a service manual. you can't get better than that from a technical dept.

As for TK:eek: Reeferjon i am sure will respond to your'e comments.

Regards

Fatboy

alpha
12-11-2005, 03:56 PM
A response to djbe's interesting post,

Why are they better and whats wrong with the TK/Carrier stuff.

I feel they are better due to simple reliable design.
Parts are easy to get, price wise I feel they are acceptable and tech info is top class from both. Above all, reliability is the key and I think Hubbard and Gah rule on this. I guess I could also go into service costs, the British factorys tend to be allot less basically due to design and things being easier to service, a good example of this is if you want to check tev orifice/filter on a tk or carrier, whereas hubbard and gah are mostly flare the other two are brazed joints. Although it may seem a petty issue, when the customer has to get a van moving on it's deliverys I bet a gah or hubbard is out the door first working perfectly.

I would have to slightly disagree here with regard to gah, for us, they are very good, always there when we need them and always happy to give whatever tech info is required, although I would agree that Gah parts supply can be questionable at times but on the whole they get my thumbs up. Hubbard simply rule.

Carrier direct drives work great for 6-12 months until they get moisture in the system, why do they have this problem? No sign of refrigerant loss/leakage but frozen expansion valves seem to be the norm. change the drier and away you go again until next time.

I feel this is down to the hose and clips they use, the clips seem very weak and the fitting in the hose appears to be a little suspect, although they do not appear to be leaking gas I feel the fault is with the hose/clip setup. I have also experianced the same problem with eurofrigo units, moisture problem that I point toward hose/clips. I know hubbard now use a very similar hose clip setup but as of yet, well I guess time will tell, but so far they seem good and tight. I think another issue with carrier is that most units use a condenser fan switch on/off. When the fan stops I have found suction is very very low and this I think is the intake of moisture.

I think this is a very valid problem. The control boxes are well over priced, what is it? £300+ or something for tk box? lae/ek33 boxes from gah and hubbard that very rarely go wrong cost a fraction of that, carrier cab control, well I cant say much against them, I have never had to replace them apart from when they were in the design of the old zepher180 styleeee.

GAH seem to love their meccano set kits

I know where you are coming from on this, the disructiuons sometimes seem to be a bit weird but they have a good idea in thinking, take rwd transit with a cross beam compressor mount assy, how easy is that then to replace compressor/clutch coil, fantastic idea, 6 bolts or something similar and the whole mount drops down for service, fantastic :D

djbe
12-11-2005, 06:53 PM
Alpha, I reckon your'e right with that Carrier hose set up.

Try around £500 list for the T.K in cab controller!

The Carrier controller is just a head unit for the microprocessor which is also around £500 list.

Compared with say £50.00 for an LAE/Eliwell etc.?

I've often wondered if an Eliwell controller could be used to replace the T.K one. Never had time to sit down and really get my head round the schematic to figure it out though.

alpha
14-11-2005, 01:52 PM
Yes, it's possible to fit an eliwell or similar, I can't say it can be done to all but I have in the past fitted them to v90 and v250 with quiet good results, the only thing is though, the time it takes to mod wiring and loom and to sometimes run a bit of twin core up the roof the cost almost doesn't make it worth while, but yes, can be done.

Reeferjon
15-11-2005, 12:08 PM
Guess who makes those fine VP controllers in the first place....yep....so how come they are so err diferent from their standard controller range :confused:

alpha
15-11-2005, 01:20 PM
Hi, could you elaborate a little more on that Reeferjon?
VP, I am clueless on what the stands for/means.
Thanks

transport guy
16-11-2005, 06:31 PM
hello every body...i have found gah and hubbards to be alot better than TK and carrier.......although there are some common problems i have come across i.e condenser fan fuses blowing after freezing/snowy periods and leaky expansion valve problems units that have been installed with somers are always better as they actually bother to leak test not like GRP and other companys

evaporator
16-11-2005, 07:57 PM

hi alpha
was just browsing and i noticed a transport guy, who i presume is at hubbards (name "alpha") now i am trying to guess who it be, if you have been there a while we would have met. is t. baker and j. lepley still there?

:) would agree to a certain extent hub. and gah do make good units for vans but having worked for hubbard, gah, carrier and thermo-king, i would say that carrier make the best units, allways at the forfront of technology which the otley team are allways behind with and gah maybe half of hubbards old staff but the best half must have stayed put as gah are allways behind hubbard when it comes to new technology.

:cool: carrier uk(not a dealership) have office in spalding if you get tired of ground work and fancy some trailer work for a change. if you can get your foot in the door they are a good company to work for. and with the vector in every distributers now the works a lot easier than it used to be on trailers.

alpha
17-11-2005, 10:35 AM
Hi evaporator, I do not work for them as such, well, not directly on the payroll anyway. I know if our little operation shut down here I would most certainly head to one of the factorys, probably to get my hands dirty again with the diesel units. :D

stevemartial
17-11-2005, 12:03 PM
hi evaporator, i hear a rumour j. lepleys now involved with gah,something to do with trailers for one of the major supermarkets

evaporator
23-11-2005, 06:08 PM
Hi evaporator, I do not work for them as such, well, not directly on the payroll anyway. I know if our little operation shut down here I would most certainly head to one of the factorys, probably to get my hands dirty again with the diesel units. :D

hi alpha
your not x marshall are you most guys from your area have been there at some point and if you used to work on the diesels , is old penfold (colin) still there

evaporator
23-11-2005, 06:15 PM
hi evaporator, i hear a rumour j. lepleys now involved with gah,something to do with trailers for one of the major supermarkets

hi steve

last i heard he was retiring that was years ago
i will have to enquire, i knew he was going from hubbard,
but did not know he had gone accross to gah.
he was an odd one he never said alot but if he was unhappy he would go all quite not reply to you just look blank or on the phone he would just go silent for ages
all that time on the subs must have some affect

Simple
23-11-2005, 09:29 PM
but having worked for hubbard, gah, carrier and thermo-king, .

Hi evaporator

Now you have me guessing about you! :)

alpha
24-11-2005, 04:01 PM
hi alpha
your not x marshall are you

Hi evaporator, nah, had spell with Grenco for a few years a moon or two ago then left and went my own way when Marshall took over the transport side of things, been happily self employed ever since.

Latte
24-11-2005, 07:28 PM
hi alpha
your not x marshall are you , is old penfold (colin) still there

Pt 1 SURELY you don't expect anyone to admit to THAT do you :D (Sorry John);)
Pt 2 Are you talking about Colin Lacey ?

Regards

Fatboy

alpha
30-11-2005, 03:32 PM
Wakey wakey says alpha, it's gone rather quiet in here :D

Anyways, whats wrong with Marshalls or why should they not admit it?

I think it's gone quiet because the engineers are frozen and they can't use their fingers lol

evaporator
08-12-2005, 07:54 PM
Hi evaporator

Now you have me guessing about you! :)

Hi Simple

where have you worked then have we worked same place at some point:rolleyes:

evaporator
08-12-2005, 07:58 PM
Pt 1 SURELY you don't expect anyone to admit to THAT do you :D (Sorry John);)
Pt 2 Are you talking about Colin Lacey ?

Regards

Fatboy

Hi rdocwra

yeh thats him he was part of the training team when i was there, very knowledgable but took alot of stick as penfold.

was there mid nineties, yourself ?

evaporator
08-12-2005, 08:01 PM
Wakey wakey says alpha, it's gone rather quiet in here :D

Anyways, whats wrong with Marshalls or why should they not admit it?

I think it's gone quiet because the engineers are frozen and they can't use their fingers lol

most have been there at some point got there training and then moved on, i am surprised they dont start charging for it

Latte
09-12-2005, 12:42 AM
TK Training, Been there done it. Colin lacey, Malcolm Miles, Mark Ballentyne i've upset them all.

Colin left Marshalls to set up his own training company in Rugby, Unfortunatly this didn't work out which was a shame because he covered all makes, not just TK.

I did see his picture in the local paper a cople of years ago, i think he was the UK/Europe Sales Manager (Something like that anyway) for a Refrigeration company out Huntingdon way, not sure who though.

Maybe Reeferjon or MRW might have more up to date info

Regards

Fatboy

Reeferjon
09-12-2005, 09:58 AM
Mornin.
Last I saw of him he was heading up Munters (uk)....still the same.......nice guy when you get past the 'front'

JOhn.

evaporator
16-12-2005, 12:22 AM
Hi evaporator, nah, had spell with Grenco for a few years a moon or two ago then left and went my own way when Marshall took over the transport side of things, been happily self employed ever since.
:) you must know old alan potter from grenco days he moved to marshall's at thurrock when they took over nice chap always looking out for all the lads best interests , he was like a union rep for free

evaporator
16-12-2005, 08:04 PM
Mornin.
Last I saw of him he was heading up Munters (uk)....still the same.......nice guy when you get past the 'front'

JOhn.
Hi John

i dont know munters but the name rings a bell, have to look on there website and see what they do and your right about old colin he is a nice fellow.

so many people knowing the the same people there is a good chance we have all worked together at some point
and just cant tell who we are talking to, makes you wonder done it.:)

alpha
16-12-2005, 11:47 PM
:) you must know old alan potter from grenco days he moved to marshall's at thurrock when they took over nice chap always looking out for all the lads best interests , he was like a union rep for free

I do indeed remember alan potter..

and just cant tell who we are talking to, makes you wonder done it.

yes.:D

Latte
16-12-2005, 11:56 PM
Hi rdocwra

yeh thats him he was part of the training team when i was there, very knowledgable but took alot of stick as penfold.

was there mid nineties, yourself ?

Hi Evaporator,

Just dug out my old course certificates.
First Course 1998, last one 2002.

Another name to add to the list:- David Luckett, was technical manager at Smart Ltd. Ex Carrier. Anyone heard of him recently

Regards

Fatboy

evaporator
17-12-2005, 12:19 AM
Hi Evaporator,

Another name to add to the list:- David Luckett, was technical manager at Smart Ltd. Ex Carrier. Anyone heard of him recently

Regards

Fatboy
dont know him but i know of a stuart smith also ex carrier

alpha
17-12-2005, 11:46 AM
whats stuart upto these days evaporator? I knew he was at carriers but didnt know he since moved on.. I remember him very well from grenco.

evaporator
17-12-2005, 12:21 PM
whats stuart upto these days evaporator? I knew he was at carriers but didnt know he since moved on.. I remember him very well from grenco.
the way i heard it he sold out on all his mates at grenco
when marshalls took over and put a stop to perks they all used to get including himself, never known anyone to have a good word to say about him, especially the guys who worked with him at carrier, they hated him
:eek:

evaporator
17-12-2005, 09:33 PM
alright andy bin diggin he got boot carrier milton keynes then joined smart not know what he does now

bernard
17-12-2005, 10:21 PM
Hi Just having quick read through some of the post,There was a Stuart Smith worked with me a Grenco Camberely with JJ then Tony Fuller as service manager.Would this be the same chap?Also Trevor Been,Martin Allen, Lyne Kind.

Regards Bernard:)

evaporator
18-12-2005, 07:48 AM
Hi Just having quick read through some of the post,There was a Stuart Smith worked with me a Grenco Camberely with JJ then Tony Fuller as service manager.Would this be the same chap?Also Trevor Been,Martin Allen, Lyne Kind.

Regards Bernard:)

hi bernard
thats the one, never met him myself and sounds like i would not want to, let alone work under him.

alpha
19-12-2005, 06:19 PM
well i really wasn't expecting the thread to turn like it has, meet someone that has no issues.

bernard
19-12-2005, 08:00 PM
Hi Alpha

Do you also remember Dave Taplin and Pete luchiano,both really nice guys.

Latte
19-12-2005, 08:25 PM
well i really wasn't expecting the thread to turn like it has, meet someone that has no issues.

Hi Alpha,

The problem with Transport is that most things are standard and tend not to change much where in other forms of refrigeration things seem to change on a monthly basis.

I know there are other makes but mostly in this country you have TK or Carrier as the big two and these tend to bring out new units every couple of years and even then they are a modified version of an old design. (SMX,SMX-II, SR) all based on the same principle just controller changed. Maxima/Maxima II once again nothing major. Until Carrier brought out the TR1000 Genisis and the Vector things are fairly static.

Now Take one of the other forums - a/c for example.
There are loads of different makes, different gasses, different designs depending where it is. VRV/Wall mount/ceiling cassette/Ducted/ceiling suspended and to top it off you may find the indoor and outdoor units are different makes :eek:

I think TK were looking into Co2 last time i heard but i havn't been to the CV show for a couple of years as i keep upsetting people there so not sure whats the latest thing. Perhaps Reeferjon can let us know whats new and we can have a chat about the way "transport" is going

Regards

Fatboy

Simple
19-12-2005, 09:53 PM
They must be degreed in engineering, and have refrigeration experience.

A transport engineer with a Degree! :D

alpha
19-12-2005, 09:58 PM
Hi Alpha

hi, yes I remember them well bernard, and agreed...
small world im thinking :)

Very insightful rdocwra even if I am confused a little, but yes, Co2 :D

Latte
19-12-2005, 10:52 PM
Very insightful rdocwra even if I am confused a little, but yes, Co2 :D

Confused :confused: i do that to a lot of people, What about.

Just to test my theory out, i have just been on the Thermo-king website (www.thermoking.com) and guess what. Now - i only looked on trailers but still the same units as when i left the transport side (2002). SL400 Single temp and Spectrum SL on multitemp.

Now i am sure they have updated the units since then, no more blowing up engines when the waterpump leaked and the software didn't shut the unit down and improved jackshafts but still the SAME UNITS.

Now look at a/c since 2002, R22 gone now using R407/R410. Increase in VRV/VRF technology, Inverter systems - i can go on but am sounding sad.

Wheres Reeferjon or MRW when you need them, i am sure they would disaggree and say that things are moving fast but as i am out of that side i havn't heard of anything.

Regards

Fatboy

alpha
20-12-2005, 10:28 AM
Hi, I think it was last nights home brew that caused my confusion not the post as such, this morning all seems clear as crystal:)

Reeferjon
20-12-2005, 11:39 AM
:D ...........................thinks moving fast..............:D

evaporator
20-12-2005, 02:54 PM
just say it as i hear it, not ment to offend:)

evaporator
20-12-2005, 03:00 PM
Hi Alpha

hi bernard
that would not be pete lechesa would it, a big gentle giant very friendly, worked for himself for awhile then went to RVS was also at grenco some time back when smudger was

evaporator
20-12-2005, 03:03 PM
A transport engineer with a Degree! :Dwith a degree of knowledge maybe

Latte
20-12-2005, 07:04 PM
:D ...........................thinks moving fast..............:D

Come on Mr Training Manager, You are the man in the know whats on the cards or have we got to come up to the training centre to find out :D

Regards

Fatboy

alpha
20-12-2005, 11:18 PM
just say it as i hear it, not ment to offend:)

none taken :)

Reeferjon
23-12-2005, 12:50 PM
Come on Mr Training Manager, You are the man in the know whats on the cards or have we got to come up to the training centre to find out :D

Regards

Fatboy

HEHE the coffee shop is now open ;)

Absolute Zero
30-12-2005, 07:13 PM
HEHE the coffee shop is now open ;)

Two sugars please ;)

Happy new year!

Reeferjon
02-01-2006, 12:54 PM
Happy New Year Guys.......lets hope everyone gets more units on the road this year. :p

nova
04-01-2006, 09:47 PM
Hi guys,

I agree about TK's older VP units being somewhat unreliable. But DSR's has been working very well. We haven't had problems in Finland. This year should bring V-700 Max DSR and that's cool! We've had excellent experiences of V-700's and perhaps we'll get TCI during this year?

rdocwra, yes, not much new after SR-2, and neither from Carrier.
Co2: S-evaps came to co2 too and that's good. Finnish largest dairy company has piloted ST-CR MT's for almost 3 years now and it seems that they are going to continue using them and perhaps get more units. Biggest benefit this company has found out is cooling capacity compared to diesel units. Also second largets dairy company in Finland took 3x ST-CR MT's and the very first Spectrum TS 3-zone in Finland :cool:

Well, Finnish Lumikko has entered European markets. Sold 120 trailer units to Tesco Poland and also 70 trailer units to Tesco Czech and Slovakia. Interesting to see how they manage. Rumour has it that Lumikko took over Polish Carrier dealer + network? Could be just a rumour.
Lumikko website:http://www.lumikko.com

jbear
07-01-2006, 12:05 AM
hi all, and a happy new year to you all.
Id like to put evaporator right on the spalding carrier dealership situation.
Carrier took over the area from the then Transicold, for a year or two, the area as then taken over by Ransomes for a year or two, followed by Pullmans.
Alan Potter after working for Marshalls went to work for EFM in dagenham and i think is now working for Iceland on their shop coolers, word is though he may be on the way back into tranport.

djbe
08-01-2006, 08:22 PM
Well, Finnish Lumikko has entered European markets.
Lumikko website:http://www.lumikko.com

I see Prontocold are bringing these things into the U.K. Anybody seen one?

Latte
08-01-2006, 08:52 PM
Hi Guys,

Carrier like changing their dealer network. Prontocold Earith (Formally Transicold) were the carrier dealer for the eastern region for years, then they opened Spalding and it's changed every couple of years since then. Anyone know the whereabouts of Tony Wade and Steve Jennings. They were at Carrier Spalding but i think left when Ransomes took over. I assume that Ransomes now only have the Ipswich depot again.

Also, Andy Goodfellow, did go to spalding but for which company i lost track of.

I hope Prontocold have success with whatever units they have, i felt carrier pulled the plug on them too easilly and dropped them in it although you don't know what exactly goes on behind the scenes with all these dealer changes

Regards

Fatboy

nova
14-01-2006, 06:36 PM
There could be an opportunity for Lumikko to gain some success in Europe mainly because it's a very simple unit. They haven't heard of microprocessors yet, just wires, relays and solenoids. We all know that having even three different microprocessors in a single unit might generate problems accordingly. In my opinion we have reached the point, where one could say we're working in Windows environment especially what comes to the software updates. Customers that has fed-up of having problems with uP's, sensors and softwares could turn they head to Lumikko's. Lumikko is very small manufacturer which is double edged sword: delivery problems may rise with large amount of units, but on the other hand small manufacturer is able to react very quickly to fulfil customers (even not that big customers) special needs.

Edit: Lumikko has one very important benefit over TK & Carrier; almost all their units are modular, ie. customer is able to add an additional evaporator when ever they want. Almost all units are with 2nd & 3rd zone option as a standard.

nova
14-01-2006, 06:53 PM
I see Prontocold are bringing these things into the U.K. Anybody seen one?

Is Prontocold involved with Tesco or totally different company?

MRW
30-01-2006, 10:26 PM
prontocold are an independant fridge company based near cambridge,as for Stuart Smith,he's working for Micheal Ward refrigeration as southern area manager.

chillerman2006
18-04-2006, 06:40 PM
hi everyone

stuart smith - now that takes me back some - still at michael wards then - 3 guys i know left mchael wards because they were not inpressed by a certain person - all 3 are good engineers with years of experience - one only stayed 2 weeks and begged his old boss (at glenside)for his job back another got his acops and corgi and then left and the other quit with no job to go to (he now works with me on the chillers) - all for the same reason -

some people just dont know how to treat people - even when they have studied managemment and phsycology

i am surprised michael wards stood for it

mwlpm
13-06-2006, 08:56 AM
Hi Evaporator,

Regards

Fatboy

Dave Luckett has carried on with the training on his own, under the name 3T Services. He runs courses, driver training, consultancy, gas handling certification etc.

REEFER-TEK
18-11-2007, 06:39 PM
Theres a fine line between transport refrigeration engineers and the technicians that are serviceing the stuff that is supposed to work. I am not an engineer but instead try to think like one, I have many years of Exp in transport temperature control, I hope that i may be of help in providing sound advice to this industry,

I look forward to hearing from all of you

Regards shawn

get the gauges
27-11-2007, 12:14 AM
Dave Luckett has carried on with the training on his own, under the name 3T Services. He runs courses, driver training, consultancy, gas handling certification etc.

Why driver training ? i'm in fridge and a/c ,is it common for' tarnsport' guys to have to drive trucks or something?

REEFER-TEK
27-11-2007, 02:46 AM
O.K so i've been browsing this forum for almost a year now but there seems to be little input from transport ref. engineers:confused:

Perhaps they are all too busy and knackered:eek: out till 3.00 every morning trying to get it going because it's loaded and we've got no spares?

There busy making these things for marketing humor.

Click on image
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff108/Reefer-Tek/th_TheKnackTKTechnician.jpg (http://s237.photobucket.com/albums/ff108/Reefer-Tek/?action=view&current=TheKnackTKTechnician.flv)
Click on Image

saharco
27-11-2007, 11:00 PM
we build these , we can build prefabricated coldstores for any truck , its as easy as snapping everything into place

we have done a few small vans too

we built a bunch for export for africa

Latte
27-11-2007, 11:10 PM
Why driver training ? i'm in fridge and a/c ,is it common for' tarnsport' guys to have to drive trucks or something?

WHY DRIVER TRAINING !!!!!!!!!!:eek

Drivers are the end users, if they dont know how to use the equipment properly and it arrives at the wrong temp there is no going back.

To give you some examples:-

Older fridges (Not the TK's or carriers with voltage check facility) - running a chilled or produce load, this time of year on auto (Cycle Sentry). Fridge on for hours without needing to kick in, when it does, battery is flat to doesnt start. Teaching drivers how to check oil levels, ive had loads of coils with fridges alarming out on oil level. using modulation on loads (Flowers etc ) to stop them freezing the buds. FUELING THE BL#### things up before leaving the depot.

Thankfully these days, we have DAS/DRS or Carrier logic so when a fridge is set wrong you can see. i dont know what the percentage is of calls that could have been prevented by drivers doing a check before they leave depot, i would guess 20/30 %

One thing i would like to ask the powers that be (John).
Why can they come up with a way of checking water levels without having to climb up to the top of a trailer

Regards

Raymond

REEFER-TEK
28-11-2007, 03:49 PM
WHY DRIVER TRAINING !!!!!!!!!!:eek

Drivers are the end users, if they dont know how to use the equipment properly and it arrives at the wrong temp there is no going back.

To give you some examples:-

Older fridges (Not the TK's or carriers with voltage check facility) - running a chilled or produce load, this time of year on auto (Cycle Sentry). Fridge on for hours without needing to kick in, when it does, battery is flat to doesnt start. Teaching drivers how to check oil levels, ive had loads of coils with fridges alarming out on oil level. using modulation on loads (Flowers etc ) to stop them freezing the buds. FUELING THE BL#### things up before leaving the depot.

Thankfully these days, we have DAS/DRS or Carrier logic so when a fridge is set wrong you can see. i dont know what the percentage is of calls that could have been prevented by drivers doing a check before they leave depot, i would guess 20/30 %

One thing i would like to ask the powers that be (John).
Why can they come up with a way of checking water levels without having to climb up to the top of a trailer

Regards

Raymond

Water levels can be visually checked now, Tk has made a tranlucent tank that allows this in there trailer nose mount applications, also all TK smart reefers have a sensor or coolant level switch that will cause a code 37 if no signal makes it to the micro, if coolant level is low. Same goes for engine oil level, there is a switch in the crank pan that will signal back to the micro and or cause code 66 if oil level is low.

I wanted to add to the why Driver training??? Driver training is essential, I worked for a TK dealer for 15 years, most service calls were based on ignorance.
I instruct drivers how to properly set up a unit and make the basic risk management checks. TK and CTC micros now have optiset, this programming allows a driver to set a temperature, and the micro will configure accordinly.

Example: if set for zero degress the unit may be allowed to run cycle or continouse or maybe because there is limited product that is sensitive to freezing.

If driver set controller to in a range (32f) (0c) to say (55F) - (13C) The unit may be programeed to run only continouse and control on either dischare air temp or return air temp with adjustable floor limits, to prevent top freeze of delicate parishables like fruits vegetables or flowers.

TK has up to 10 temperature program ranges in optiset that will allow continouse to be locked out or and precise temperature control, and increased fuel; savings.

Back to driver training, you wont believe how many drivers that do not make a conciouse effort in shutting the unit off when opening cargo doors, most drivers do not understand the basics of forced convection of heat transfer, meaning if the unit is running that means the fan is running, if the fan is running and the doors are opened this cause all the conditioned air to be forced out of the compartment and allows all the unconditioned air to be sucked in.

The key is getting the cargo to destination in prime condition, this increases product shelf life and the vendors bottom line. If certain carriers deliver product that spoils within days versus an educated carrier that can deliver products that can stay on the shelf for weeks, who do you think will be the prefered customers carrier?

I can go on all day about the cold chain and the responsibilties of all who is involved. from farm to fork.

jimwhittlam
16-07-2008, 09:08 AM
My question is where are all the good Transport Refrigeration Engineers,there are plenty about who think they are but when it comes down to the test they dont even know the basics
If some of you good guys fancy a change then Hubbard (Part of the Zanotti Group) are looking for top class all round engineers in all areas with experience on all makes GAH,TK,Carrier,Portable Coldstores etc.
Must have good knowledge of diesel engines and be able to work on own inititive
Give the service dept a call 0800 0180460

Big John
16-07-2008, 05:25 PM
There are still some old timers around then, BOC Transhield, two types the truck version called a Pelican and the trailer unit called the Polarstream.
Liquid Nitrogen, you have never seen pulldown like it.-30 about ten mins. with an empty box. not much use for anything other than frozen and you were up the creek when the tanks ran out.. Happy Days

djbe
17-07-2008, 07:52 AM
My question is where are all the good Transport Refrigeration Engineers,there are plenty about who think they are but when it comes down to the test they dont even know the basics
If some of you good guys fancy a change then Hubbard (Part of the Zanotti Group) are looking for top class all round engineers in all areas with experience on all makes GAH,TK,Carrier,Portable Coldstores etc.
Must have good knowledge of diesel engines and be able to work on own inititive
Give the service dept a call 0800 0180460

Your'e not suggesting Hubbard hasn't got any good engineers at the moment are you Jim!!??:D:D

jimwhittlam
17-07-2008, 08:52 AM
No not at all,but as I am sure you will agree there is room for improvement at every company

Cold Consultant
17-07-2008, 05:10 PM
I thought they were all working for Hubbard?

SKOOBY
17-07-2008, 09:50 PM
:mad:I thought there was a seperate section for Job Vacancies or is this overlooked

Reeferjon
18-07-2008, 10:56 AM
Skooby is correct, please keep the engineer poaching :eek:....sorry job offers to the vacancies section.

jimwhittlam
19-07-2008, 09:30 AM
Sorry Reeferjon and skooby,although not new to the industry as many of you in transport will know I have only just started to use the site

B********g accepted

thermo690
21-07-2008, 11:38 AM
Sorry Reeferjon and skooby,although not new to the industry as many of you in transport will know I have only just started to use the site

B********g accepted

is this the same j whittlam from MTK

jimwhittlam
21-07-2008, 04:20 PM
The very same!

UKGENT
27-07-2008, 09:49 AM
The very same!

How does Zannoti compare to TK?
:cool:There was a time where you saw Zannoti prodcuts but now very few.

FRIDGEMANIC
03-12-2008, 12:03 PM
Hi Jim
its FRIDGEMANIC here, just started reading re forum.
Its good to see you still about, oh i thought i would just say some of the top engineers dont always work for the main dealers, cheers;)

King Valve
29-01-2009, 03:10 PM
Happy New Year Gentlemen

Colin Lacey now works for Merrychef Limited, part of the Mantowok Group.

David Luckett still works for himself as 3T Services Limited.

I believe Stuart Smith now works for himself.

aircon50
06-02-2009, 12:44 AM
So many familiar names.............I guess it goes hand in hand with something in excess of 30 years in the transport sector. Would appreciate an email from anybody who remembers the "good old days". (PDL's, NWD MB's, Multipacs etc!!!) Jim Whittlam - please. Not looking for work - not living in UK now - got fed up with the rain. Still making a 'living' out of refrigeration, but a/c and pool heat pumps, NOT transport. Hasta Pronto....

chillerman2006
07-02-2009, 02:34 AM
:mad:I thought there was a seperate section for Job Vacancies or is this overlooked

Thats only if you want to go through Agency's

Better to go direct - :D

LUMIKKO
16-02-2009, 05:38 AM

HI,

Now Lumikko is represented... Also possible to help with some other manufacturers in some cases...

utc/tk foreman
20-02-2009, 06:46 AM
Ive worked on quite a bit of everything here in north america, and im not claiming to know it all, but if anyone has any questions, im more than willing to help anyone. I also have multipule manuals available for both thermo king and carriers, so if anyone here needs something, dont hesitate to ask.

abbsnowman
20-02-2009, 07:06 AM
Ive worked on quite a bit of everything here in north america, and im not claiming to know it all, but if anyone has any questions, im more than willing to help anyone. I also have multipule manuals available for both thermo king and carriers, so if anyone here needs something, dont hesitate to ask.

Im glad to see another who shares my views.
Send me a PM at mark@futureclimates.ca and lets see what we could trade.

Mayball
04-03-2009, 07:48 AM
I work on marine refrigerators on sail and motor boats and so I thought Transport was the most appropriate of the catagories offered to include the work that I do. However, it seems that almost all of the subjects discussed involve truck systems. Are there other marine refrigeration engineers here or is there another more appropriate catagory?

neil:)
02-11-2009, 10:38 PM
ive just started my appprenticeship today as a transport re!! :D new to this site!

transport guy
12-11-2009, 09:19 PM
ocado hatfield area i think....gah/hubbard units

MOSTAFA YOUNIS
15-11-2009, 01:52 PM
dear
this i'm eng.: mostafa younis from Egypt working 10 years in the transportation refrigeration and A/C with thermoking manily and carrier sutrak i can help with the materials which i have

Oregonbythesea
26-11-2009, 06:27 PM
I have gone through the posts but don't really see any answers to the original question. The one comment about TK and Trans doing the trailer units and leaving the small stuff to all the others is really a good idea. However, once the unit is big enough to require an internal diesel, TK and Trans is just about it. There are another couple of manufacturers that make copies of the TK's and TRans' units but not that impressive. One company that seems to be a different breed altogether that can give the big guys a run for their money can be viewed at hydra-cool.com with the customary w's in front of the name. I find it interesting, and for me, close enough to keep an eye on. As for the engineers who build these units. Most are employed by the big manufacturers and specialize in the unique problems associated with over-the-road applications.

Oldmanfrigy
03-12-2009, 12:37 PM
Hello there from Aus, have just started as suby to a company with TK units.SB111 TCi,SL400e, SL200e SR-2 Controlers and more. Where can I get service info/ [ Downloads, C/Ds Books ]That should start some dialog for you.
Is there a download of a manual for TK 486E engine around? I have a noisy one. Also can't get rid of code 128, 132. and what about the new TK unit where you have to remove the compressor to change the belt, love to hear thoughts on this one, SLX400
Thanks for all your help hope to contribute soon and not just take.

john hardcastle
06-12-2009, 03:07 PM
Yes you can with at least some of the units may have to do away with heat mode unless you get the wrigth controler and fit extra relays (that we all love )