PDA

View Full Version : Question about ceiling cassettes

asmaircon
07-01-2012, 01:27 PM
Hi Guys,

Im soon going to be working on ceiling cassettes, I would just like to know, the built in condensate pump in the cassette, how many metres can it push water without the need of a seperate condensate pump, vertically or horizontally, and what extra pumps do you recommend for long runs, also in terms of servicing, how do you access condensate pan to acid flush all hard water and also how to access filters for cleaning and coils

many thanks

The Viking
07-01-2012, 02:15 PM
The lift from the internal pump varies between the brands and models, typically you are looking at between 300 & 600 mm but the exact height will be in the manual for your units.
The important bit is that the (condensate) pipe as it exits the cassette goes straight up to it's highest level and then slopes down from there. Also important if you got several cassettes on a common drain pipe, make sure the common pipe is below each cassette's drain's high point (to prevent one cassette pumping in to another)
If the maximum lift isn't enough or the pipe can't be routed straight up to it's highest point then another pump is needed, this can be almost any tanked condensate pump. Personally I would steer away from the smallest ones with just 1 litre tank and go for something with 4+ litres.

Access for service...
The filter will just fold down on the centre part of the facia, as to the rest it will vary.
The best you can do is to read the manual for the particular units you are about to install.

OR,
Better still,
Speak to the manufacturer/importer/supplier of the units about getting on one of their training courses. Here in UK most of them are more than happy to give unit/brand specific training.

:cool:

asmaircon
07-01-2012, 03:17 PM
Thanks for your advice Viking,

So say the run from the cassette to outdoor when you want the condensate to exit is say 3metres away, from the cassette, could you not just take hard plastic condensate in a straight line away to the outdoors or would it not push in a horizontal line that far? as you said you take the pipe up about 300mm then let it drop, what sort of distance in a horizontal straight would it push the water?

Thanks

install monkey
07-01-2012, 05:56 PM
generally 1 cm drop over a meter for 1 cassette with 3/4 drain line check the cassette install manual for maximum pump lift-daikins/mitsi over 550mm-straight up,immediatly then run your fall and support it every metre or it will sag if it holds water

So say the run from the cassette to outdoor when you want the condensate to exit is say 3metres away, from the cassette, could you not just take hard plastic condensate in a straight line away to the outdoors or would it not push in a horizontal line that far? as you said you take the pipe up about 300mm then let it drop, what sort of distance in a horizontal straight would it push the water?

Thanks

monkey spanners
07-01-2012, 06:16 PM
I get some 3mm wire rope grips (look like tiny exhaust clamps) and use them to hold the 3/4 plastic pipe clips to the ceiling wires, theres a wire every two tiles so you can use these to get to the outside wall easily, and just loosen the rope grips to slide the drain up and down to get the fall correct.

stufus
07-01-2012, 07:52 PM
The pump's in the units are not designed for horizontal discharge hence the term "lift pump".
So even if your run is only three meters you should still utilise the lift available from the internal pump,you don't have to max it out but the greater the gravity fall you generate from the unit the less likely you are to have issues,Remember the pump in the unit is free may as well use it.
Cheers
Stu

Thanks

install monkey
07-01-2012, 08:03 PM
hello post #4- over 550mm-straight up,immediatly then run your fall - i quote haha

stufus
07-01-2012, 08:07 PM
HAHA touchy little monkey today are we .How's your hamster/gerbil ??
Cheers
Stu
hello post #4- over 550mm-straight up,immediatly then run your fall - i quote haha

install monkey
07-01-2012, 08:13 PM
the beast is still currently under house arrest- gonna go wholesalers and get a 75mmsq 5 core swa to keep it occupied-if it was to bite me-its bye bye finger-you know what i mean haha

stufus
07-01-2012, 08:17 PM
Get a T-REX rat trap and put some speaker cable in it to entice the little fooker .
SNAP and he's history.
Cheers
Stu

install monkey
07-01-2012, 08:28 PM
personally id take it bungee jumping over a motorway bridge-but apparently its the family pet-and if i ever loose me snips then it could be of use-the boss is giving it another chance before we curry it!! i will keep u updated-if you want you can sponser it-just £30 a week as its rarer than a snow leopard!haha

assailant
08-01-2012, 07:52 AM
The lift from the internal pump varies between the brands and models, typically you are looking at between 300 & 600 mm but the exact height will be in the manual for your units.

except for LG. installed another one on friday (10kw) and checked the manual again (last did one 3 weeks ago and checked the manual in that too, nothing there either) but it still showed no mention of a max height for the drain.

i just keep them under 500mm above the ceiling and have no problems.

r.bartlett
08-01-2012, 09:43 AM
ffs I can't believe someone hasn't already said this

generally 1 cm drop over a meter for 1 cassette with 3/4 drain line check the cassette install manual for maximum pump lift-daikins/mitsi over 550mm-straight up,immediatly then run your fall and support it every metre or it will sag if it holds water

as I am first to post the right answer I expect loads of rep for this!

install monkey
08-01-2012, 09:46 AM
rb post 4
07-01-2012 05:56 PM#4 (http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/showthread.php?34268-Question-about-ceiling-cassettes&p=250107#post250107)http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/mine/avatar2.gif (http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/member.php?14239-install-monkey)install monkey (http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/member.php?14239-install-monkey)

http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/images/re2011/statusicon/user-online.png VIP Poster I am starting to push the Mods: of RE http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/images/re2011/reputation/reputation_pos.png http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/images/re2011/reputation/reputation_pos.png

Join Date Oct 2007Location manchesterAge 38Posts 1,624Rep Power7

Re: Question about ceiling cassettes

moondawn
08-01-2012, 11:02 AM
hi all i have installed ac cassettes before and tend to always use the lift if needing to get gravity for a distance. i have never knew that you can not run it out horizontally. until reading this post i have installed lots like where ran out horizontally. oops. having said that never had one call back or known of a issue because of this. in future will go up with them though.

cheers

install monkey
08-01-2012, 11:10 AM
as a wise man told me- rtfm!! haha

hi all i have installed ac cassettes before and tend to always use the lift if needing to get gravity for a distance. i have never knew that you can not run it out horizontally. until reading this post i have installed lots like where ran out horizontally. oops. having said that never had one call back or known of a issue because of this. in future will go up with them though.

cheers

moondawn
08-01-2012, 11:15 AM
haha busted!!!

install monkey
08-01-2012, 11:47 AM
https://rapidshare.com/files/3643373645/SLZ-KA25-50VAQ_Installation_Manual__BG79U788H03_.pdf;

stufus
08-01-2012, 12:06 PM
HAHA Monkey has taken to blowing smoke up his own arse.
MY HERO !!!
Cheers
Stu

install monkey
08-01-2012, 12:10 PM
i only blow smoke out me arse- sorry!

HAHA Monkey has taken to blowing smoke up his own arse.
MY HERO !!!
Cheers
Stu

moondawn
08-01-2012, 03:07 PM
https://rapidshare.com/files/3643373645/SLZ-KA25-50VAQ_Installation_Manual__BG79U788H03_.pdf;

cant get the link to work install got your other sanyo one which used rapidshare?

Brian_UK
08-01-2012, 04:00 PM
ffs I can't believe someone hasn't already said this

as I am first to post the right answer I expect loads of rep for this!

Nope, you're wrong, someone has already said that, no rep today. ;)

r.bartlett
08-01-2012, 04:06 PM
Nope, you're wrong, someone has already said that, no rep today. ;)

Which goes to prove no one actually reads other peoples posts before they jump in with their expert opinion.

I cut and pasted IM's reply from post no/4 and even he didn't notice and even cut and pasted it back to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

install monkey
08-01-2012, 04:52 PM
sorry rb- i thought that was your response-as i didnt ask for brownie points-and as usual i didnt get any!-i do read all posts but sometimes i jump in with both feet with my input!

Which goes to prove no one actually reads other peoples posts before they jump in with their expert opinion.

I cut and pasted IM's reply from post no/4 and even he didn't notice and even cut and pasted it back to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

r.bartlett
08-01-2012, 05:01 PM
sorry rb- i thought that was your response-as i didnt ask for brownie points-and as usual i didnt get any!-i do read all posts but sometimes i jump in with both feet with my input!

Just joshing with you of course but it does prove the point no one actually bothers to read threads properly so it ends up as posters repeating the same answer again and again as if it's new and enlightening

Rep added btw ;-)

moondawn
08-01-2012, 05:18 PM
install monkey figure 6.1 in that installation manual. am i missing something here but is it saying they can come out horizontal certainly looks that way?

install monkey
08-01-2012, 05:21 PM
horizontal only ifa 1cm drop over 1mtr , if you go up first it states within 150mm- if you enlarge the pic you will notice the fall

install monkey figure 6.1 in that installation manual. am i missing something here but is it saying they can come out horizontal certainly looks that way?

install monkey
08-01-2012, 05:35 PM
https://rapidshare.com/files/1121286793/cassette_install_manual.pdf;
daikin cassette manual- page 2 rise within 300mm and 675mm maximum lift

moondawn
08-01-2012, 07:17 PM
can sleep easier now install monkey thanks :-)

install monkey
08-01-2012, 07:43 PM
10yr ago i fitted a daikin 600sq cassette in my old bosses extension- 5kw he drylined his ceiling around the unit-didnt have much space as it was a pitched roof, due to the he knows best on how to run pipework- i had to fit a little giant 2ltr tank pump on top of the cassette, as the 3/8 braided hose terminates outside at low level,he has been exposed to the syphon effect-gurgling when the pump stops- thats if his pump hasnt died from being exposed to elephant snot syndrome- i sleep like a log haha

moondawn
08-01-2012, 08:26 PM
is that why he is your old boss now. interested if its still gurgling me. update required!!

install monkey
08-01-2012, 08:28 PM
the 50w spotlights have probably boiled off any condensate! he didnt fit an inspection hatch haha