PDA

View Full Version : Inhibitor

Jase
04-01-2012, 10:49 PM
What is the best inhibitor to use on ASHP installations?

Jase

Brian_UK
04-01-2012, 10:57 PM
The one recommended by the equipment manufacturer.

monkey spanners
05-01-2012, 12:00 AM
I think the running costs would inhibit me from getting one :D

stufus
05-01-2012, 12:05 AM
HAHA..BOOM

I think the running costs would inhibit me from getting one :D

Can't go wrong with Sentinel R600.

Cheers
Stu

MikeHolm
05-01-2012, 01:12 AM
Beer, is the best uninhibiter................oh sorry, you said inhibiter

Jase
05-01-2012, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the very informative replies gents!:D

stufus
05-01-2012, 07:23 PM
In case you missed it
[PDF]

Sentinel R600 (http://www.sentinel-solutions.net/uploadedFiles/wwwsentinel-solutionsnet/resources_uk/NEW_product_fact_sheets/Product%20Facts%20R600%20ASHP%20Thermal%20Fluid.pdf)www.sentinel-solutions.net/.../wwwsentinel.../...
Cheers
Stu

Bigfreeze
05-01-2012, 08:18 PM
Don't use one. They congeal in low temp applications. If the system is pressurised you shouldn't have any problems anyway.

Bigfreeze
05-01-2012, 08:19 PM

I think its pretty good at both. What a product !

Jon Glanfield
07-01-2012, 07:48 PM
BF do you mean a glycol based inhibitor, we try to avoid it at all costs and industry opinion is divided on it. We have quite a few where we just rely on the pump recruitment at low temps. Two of them went through the last two vicious winters just fine.

MikeHolm
07-01-2012, 09:16 PM
I think BF means BEER....but maybe i am projecting

I use propylene glycol down to -40C. Bit of a slog to pump it at that temp but it should warm up quickly enough.

Bigfreeze
08-01-2012, 11:11 AM
BF do you mean a glycol based inhibitor, we try to avoid it at all costs and industry opinion is divided on it. We have quite a few where we just rely on the pump recruitment at low temps. Two of them went through the last two vicious winters just fine.

No, I was refering to a corrosion inhibitor such as fernox or sentinal as was mentioned above. They'll become gel like in a low temp system after a year or two, coat your heat exchangers and block your filters. Its a nightmare. Avoid like the plague.

Jon Glanfield
08-01-2012, 04:04 PM
So you use nothing at all and I think from previous posts you also avoid monoblocs so don't have to consider glycol based products either?

What causes them to conceal we have yet to experience this, does it appear to be like usual sludge or is it different in appearance somehow?

MikeHolm
08-01-2012, 05:09 PM
I have never had congealing issues with glycol and all our glycol contains inhibitors and other products to increase it working temp range.

I have' however, given up years ago on inhibitors to add to boiler systems that are not subject to freezing or repeated drain and fill.

Bigfreeze
08-01-2012, 05:22 PM
So you use nothing at all and I think from previous posts you also avoid monoblocs so don't have to consider glycol based products either?

What causes them to conceal we have yet to experience this, does it appear to be like usual sludge or is it different in appearance somehow?

We fill our systems with rainwater so we have no lime, iron etc. and thats it. No other additives.

The congealing is especially prevalent in systems where the water is limey. When you take off the conections on a HX or filter it appears like a white shower gel or vaseline type substance. Its wrecks the heat transfer in HX's.

flyinkiwi
08-01-2012, 08:44 PM

I think Rohypnol would take the cake on that count...

Bigfreeze
08-01-2012, 10:28 PM
Well technically chloroform would be best, but we're entering dodgy territory here, cos at that stage she couldn't even say yes if she wanted too :D

stufus
08-01-2012, 10:33 PM
Bash her over the head with a club and drag her back to the cave,just like the old days.
But remember to drag her back head first , as if you drag her feet first you run the risk of blocking the orifices;)
Cheers
Stu

install monkey
08-01-2012, 11:00 PM
is that why mrs stufus wears a crash helmet to prevent you having ur wicked way haha

monkey spanners
08-01-2012, 11:21 PM
Bash her over the head with a club and drag her back to the cave,just like the old days.
But remember to drag her back head first , as if you drag her feet first you run the risk of blocking the orifices;)
Cheers
Stu

And we all know the trouble a blocked orifice can cause.....

Wondering now if they are rated in kw or tons?

MikeHolm
08-01-2012, 11:50 PM
Tons in America due to McDees....oooooo

Jase
10-01-2012, 09:35 PM
I can understand the use of glycol based product in monobloc style HP's but I am referring to Daikin Altherma system feeding rads only. As for sentinel R600, this would be used on underfloor installation but what about Sentinel X100?

MikeHolm
10-01-2012, 10:20 PM
There is no need for inhibitor when you are not replenishing the heating water. If it says to do so, ask them why it is recommended.

I assume you are using copper/brass or plastic for piping and fittings and the corossion possibilities are very small IF the water is not routinely drained and refilled.

leeapole
20-01-2012, 04:48 PM
From my last 5 years with mainly the Altherma system and although Daikin wont recommend an inhibitor I’ve seen many different inhibitors used. You are correct if it is sealed you 'shouldn’t' need any. However as there is a little dispersed air in the water you fill system with, air in any rads = rust, which = black sludge, X100 works well, as do others. Without it I’ve seen some horrific systems (many pics) where magnacleans have been fitted and there are inches thick with black sludge on new systems.