PDA

View Full Version : Ariston integrated fridge freezer noisy and hot

sticky88
23-12-2011, 06:30 PM
I have an Ariston integrated fridge freezer which is about 6 years old (was already there when I moved in in 2007). 2 days ago, I noticed that it started to make continuous noise rather than the intermittent noise like most fridges do. In addition, I noticed that the top part of the outside of the freezer was hot to touch, although everything inside the fridge and freezer is still working well. There are no leaks, and the draining hole in the fridge is draining.

I am worried about it, and not sure what to do, please advise.

Thank you

Hobair
23-12-2011, 07:20 PM
Hi,

When working properly, the thermostat turns the compressor on and off. Once the thermostat turns the compressor on, it will run until the temperature inside the refrigerator is lower than the setting of the thermostat.

Make sure that the refrigerator has enough air clearance on all sides. Refrigerators with a condenser coil grid on the back of them need room to radiate the heat away from the coils.

Verify that the door light switch is working properly. Push the switch with your finger to verify the light is turning off. If the light stays on, it will actually warm the interior of the refrigerator. Fix or replace the switch if needed.

If the compressor is not shutting off when the temperature inside the refrigerator is cold enough, you may have a faulty thermostat.

If your thermostat is working properly, there’s a chance that you have low levels of refrigerant in the sealed system. If this is where the symptoms lead you, you need to contact a professional appliance repair person.

Regards Paul.

Hobair
23-12-2011, 07:27 PM
Oh ment to say check the setting on the thermostat is not too high.

Paul.

sticky88
24-12-2011, 11:25 AM
Hi Paul

Thanks for the help. My Ariston fridge is an integrated fridge freezer, so I can't take it out to look at the back. Also, is the thermostat the dial with numbers inside? To check if it's working, is it simply to turn it up or down and 'feel' if the fridge is cold or not??

Would emptying the fridge and defrosting the fridge freezer possibly may help sort the problem?

Thank you

spimps
24-12-2011, 11:45 AM
Model number please,pull out salad draws and its usually on the side wall somewhere.
BG

sticky88
24-12-2011, 12:03 PM
Hi

The model is Ariston BC 312 AI UK

Thanks!

spimps
26-12-2011, 06:31 AM
Machine needs to come out to ensure good ventilation,ie not blocked although does sound like poor compressor performance or low refigerant.If the thermostat is mid range 3-4 it should b cycling on and off.
Shopping time or a techie visit.
BG

sticky88
26-12-2011, 09:59 AM
Thank you. If it's the compressor or low refridgerant, can it be fixable by an engineer and how much would the cost approximately? Is it worth repairing or better to buy a new fridge which will have to be fitted as it's integrated.

Thanks!