PDA

View Full Version : Ice cream packaging

750 Valve
18-12-2011, 12:33 PM
This is a long shot, I know I read somewhere about differences in Ice Cream packaging in respect to frost building on the outside of the packaging - I am hoping someone here may know of or recall the thread it was discussed in (if it was here that I found it?).

I am not talking about freezer burn on product, just frost/ice formation on the outside of the packaging in freezer display cases. I realise all the causes of frost on product but just remember reading that (for some reason that escapes me) that the rounded tubs have a greater tendency to accumulate frost at a greater rate.

Can anybody help point me in the right direction? I have googled the heck out of it and also tried searching here with no luck.

chemi-cool
18-12-2011, 04:57 PM
Maybe here?
http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/showthread.php?33269-Ice-formation-in-the-product-inside-a-freezer-showcase-with-door.&highlight=ice-cream+frost

If not, can you recall the year?

cold.man
18-12-2011, 11:25 PM
i have heard and read somthing about that !!!!!!
haagen dazs have actually acknowledged this problem also but obviously done nothing about there packaging.
when looking in freezers especially glass door freezers rather than frozen food wells you will notice the haagen dazs and ben and jerrys ice cream tubs ( rounded tubs ) always have ice bulit up on them.

Brian_UK
18-12-2011, 11:32 PM
This quote from HVAC-Talk......

+
Also, the shape of the ice cream containers can cause frost buildup on the product. A round tub allows air to flow around it more-so than a rectangular box. If the round tubs are on the upper shelves, the warm/moist air rusing
in when the door is opened will tend to create more frost than with the boxes.
+

Tayters
19-12-2011, 12:24 AM
I was told once some packaging frosts more than others because it had some type of wax in it. Sounded like a load of cobblers to me but perhaps there something to the story.

Cheers,
Andy.

Mark
19-12-2011, 08:12 PM
This is a long shot, I know I read somewhere about differences in Ice Cream packaging in respect to frost building on the outside of the packaging - I am hoping someone here may know of or recall the thread it was discussed in (if it was here that I found it?).

I am not talking about freezer burn on product, just frost/ice formation on the outside of the packaging in freezer display cases. I realise all the causes of frost on product but just remember reading that (for some reason that escapes me) that the rounded tubs have a greater tendency to accumulate frost at a greater rate.

Can anybody help point me in the right direction? I have googled the heck out of it and also tried searching here with no luck.

Hello

A reduction in frost build up on the tubs is achieved by fitting System dividers in each door (Full Height Glass Door Ice Cream only)
It still occurs but takes longer to form, Not sure what results you would get in Aus, but it did improve the situation in a store we tried it in.

Mark

750 Valve
20-12-2011, 04:44 AM
Hello

A reduction in frost build up on the tubs is achieved by fitting System dividers in each door (Full Height Glass Door Ice Cream only)
It still occurs but takes longer to form, Not sure what results you would get in Aus, but it did improve the situation in a store we tried it in.

Mark

Cheers Mark, that's exactly what we are doing in a couple of sites.

Kevin Yeo
10-03-2012, 04:01 PM
Hi 750,

Is there any perforation at the back panel of the cabinet?

Does the drain pan heater re-evaporate water, which in turn releases the humidity back into the cabinet?

Rgds
Kev

spacemanmark
10-03-2012, 05:32 PM
I have seen trials with "solid" shelves instead of wire shelves, again, this doesnt stop the frost build up, just slows the formation down. (plastic sheeting has the same effect)

Funny enough, we dont have the same issue once we get it home, i dont think its anything to do with dividers or shelves, just the fact it dont last 10 minutes in our house.

Cheers Mark

Spencer.Guy
10-03-2012, 10:11 PM
Has anyone looked at the length of time the ice cream is on display.
I would have thought that the more expensive ones sell slower so stay on display longer.