PDA

View Full Version : Laptop

frank
24-10-2005, 08:55 PM
I'm looking to upgrade my laptop and I'm considering this one http://www.microanvika.com/product.asp?TXT=INFO&PNO=SON14823

My present machine is a Sony Vaio and has given good service but is a little heavy and is getting slow.

Any comments on this machine? Do you know of any alternatives. Can you find a cheaper price? Sony list it at £1799.

US Iceman
24-10-2005, 09:17 PM
Frank,

I use one of the smaller Sony Vaio laptops. I purchased the lightest version for traveling reasons. In the office I plug it into a 17" flat screen and use an external plug-in keyboard.

I like the full-size keyboard so that I can use my big hands to hit only one key at a time.:D The built-in numeric keypad is a bonus when you have to do a lot of data input.

My preference for computers is Dell, but I do not know if they are available in the UK. I only purchased the Sony as a last minute affair.

frank
24-10-2005, 09:22 PM
Iceman

Dell are available over here but only through mail order. We have one Dell laptop in the office but it's big and heavy. The one I've linked is small and lightweight - ideal for transporting around & with a 5 hour battery.

US Iceman
24-10-2005, 09:34 PM
Frank,

Dell has some new models that match up closely with the Sony laptops. The last Dell I had lasted for over 5 years before it started to give problems.

The other Dell laptops were only replaced due to the need for faster performance or more staorage area. I highly recommend them, but mail order could be a problem.

I have not had any problem with the Sony model I have had for the last year.

Abe
25-10-2005, 09:36 PM
Frank

I bought a Dell " Latitude" some months back, cost me around 600 pounds with a leather case.........and wireless

Im amazed how many free internet connections I pick up when Im travelling.

I quite like it.............but the other day I saw someone with a Hewlett Packard..........It looked the part I must say

frank
26-10-2005, 09:41 PM
Hi Abe

We bought HP desktops some time ago for one of my other companies and they were infested with HP software - written into the bios, wouldn't take some software etc. We couldn't even wipe them clean.

Not one of my favourite makes :rolleyes:

piaget
19-04-2006, 09:30 AM
I've tried IBM, HP, and Toshiba, and now I'm using Apple (for the first time).

IBM is nice if you are looking for a wide network of service and a sturdy computer. My HP was pretty good too, it was one of my favorites. The last 2 Toshibas I used were horrible--I had LCD problems on both computers. Now I am using a cheap 12" iBook, my first time to use a Mac. I love it, it's easy to use, very handsome, and having a 5 to 6-hour battery life doesn't hurt a bit.

But for Windows based machines, my brother bought a Sony (I'm not sure which model), and from what I heard it is fantastic.

vijay_study
19-04-2006, 01:21 PM
Hi Frank,

I have recently purchased a COMPAQ Laptop V2000 series. It has 2 hours of battery back up. However the processor is INTEL celeron M.

Cost = $750.

May be you can go through the details.

Regards

Vijay Kumar

frank
19-04-2006, 05:32 PM
Hi Guys

This is the one I ended up buying - great little machine :)
http://vaio.sony-europe.com/view/ShowProduct.action?product=VGN-S5XP&site=ite_en_GB&pageType=Overview&category=PM+S+Series

Deejey
25-04-2006, 01:42 AM
Hi Abe

We bought HP desktops some time ago for one of my other companies and they were infested with HP software - written into the bios, wouldn't take some software etc. We couldn't even wipe them clean.

Not one of my favourite makes :rolleyes:

HP and compaq are the same company now & I wouldnt touch either. As frank says you cant wipe them clean or upgrade them. toshiba is the same.don't touch them. Pearl used to be the best but they are no longer made. dell are ok . What about ACER