PDA

View Full Version : how to size swimming pool heat pump?

moideen
05-12-2011, 05:06 AM
hi guys,

how to calculate the size of swimming pool heat pump?i have pool volume is 145cubic meter.our maximum outside temperature is 48c in summer.average lowest temperature is 13c.can anybody advise me what the formula is to get a size of pool heat pump.any answer would be appreciated.

Moideen-Dubai

mbc
05-12-2011, 05:55 AM
Q = MxC( T2-T1)

Q= Kcal
M= 145X1000Li
C = 1
T2 = you temperature you want to reach
T1 = 13c
this load only for water inside pool
you are loosing heat from surface of pool and also from walls and floor .
in how many hours you want to heated the pool ?
from there you get your heat pump capacity in one hours and then add 10% for safe side to that

moideen
05-12-2011, 07:32 AM
thanks your replay, as per your calculation 145000*17=2465000Kcal.is this correct. i want to heat pool 24 hour time.

NoNickName
05-12-2011, 07:40 AM
In UAE you don't use heat pumps for heating pools. You should use solar panels.

moideen
05-12-2011, 07:54 AM
In UAE you don't use heat pumps for heating pools. You should use solar panels.
we are not more aware solar panels for swimming pool, coul u explain.we need dual function.in summer ammbent temperature reaching up to 50c.some time goes above 50c.so need to cool pool water to 30c.

mbc
05-12-2011, 08:34 AM
so in summer you have to cool it.

Q= 145000X1X( 48-30)=2610000 kcal at 24h
if unit runs 16h per day (as usually we calculate in system)
So 2.610.000 /16 = 163000 load for cooling per hours (only for cooling of water)

mad fridgie
05-12-2011, 08:40 AM
Sizing of pools is related to surface area (it covered or not, when not in use) , more than water volume.
And when it comes to cooling is very complex, you need to bring ambient RH into the equation. If your pool temp is below the wet bulb temp, then moisture condensates in the pool lifting pool temp and duty.

mbc
05-12-2011, 11:13 AM
Dear Mad

you right but as you Know when we calculate cooling load in 16 h for all pools instead of 24h from 48 c to 30c it means we go for stating duty cooling capacity not for running time capacity (in running time we have to cover as you said our loosing cooling from surface and walls + how many persons in swimming )
you see we have a lot of factors is coming on to calculate
I am not expert of pool designer and have not done it before,

mad fridgie
05-12-2011, 11:22 AM
Dear Mad

you right but as you Know when we calculate cooling load in 16 h for all pools instead of 24h from 48 c to 30c it means we go for stating duty cooling capacity not for running time capacity (in running time we have to cover as you said our loosing cooling from surface and walls + how many persons in swimming )
you see we have a lot of factors is coming on to calculate

Hi
got to say never had the personal pleasure of the needing to cool a pool, but a number of years ago was asked to design some machines for pools, in your neck of the woods.

MikeHolm
05-12-2011, 11:38 AM
I have done a lot of solar pool systems. We have heated by the plastic pool heater (http://techno-solis.com/) for example.

In Canada the general rule is 0.5m2 of panel area to 1m2 of pool surface area for areas with no shade or high winds. This is for outdoor pools but similar for indoor pools and humidity must be taken into account, usually with a heat recovery ventilator or desiccant wheel.

We do, sometimes, cool the overheated pools by running the system at night (but you could use the HP just for that if need be). The black sky will take heat out of the pool but you will have to determine how much panel area will fill your needs. They are pretty cheap so there is not much risk in putting in more panels.

moideen
05-12-2011, 12:19 PM
so in summer you have to cool it.

Q= 145000X1X( 48-30)=2610000 kcal at 24h
if unit runs 16h per day (as usually we calculate in system)
So 2.610.000 /16 = 163000 load for cooling per hours (only for cooling of water)
you mean 163000 kcal per hour(163000/3024=53 ton!!!),is this correct????

mbc
05-12-2011, 03:19 PM
Yes it is not too much for cooling pool with chiller with that condition

HPG
05-12-2011, 05:43 PM
Hi, I have an article with formula for "How to calculate the swimming pool heat pump for your pool?" (http://heatpumping.org/how-to-calculate-the-swimming-pool-heat-pump-for-your-pool/)
Hope this will help you.

moideen
06-12-2011, 05:07 AM
Yes it is not too much for cooling pool with chiller with that condition

hi mbc, i had given the same valume and details to one od the heatpump supplier in dubai who advise to install 20 ton capacity.as per your your calculation is 53 ton! entairly defferent......?

I have done a lot of solar pool systems. We have heated by the plastic pool heater (http://techno-solis.com/) for example.
In Canada the general rule is 0.5m2 of panel area to 1m2 of pool surface area for areas with no shade or high winds. This is for outdoor pools but similar for indoor pools and humidity must be taken into account, usually with a heat recovery ventilator or desiccant wheel.

We do, sometimes, cool the overheated pools by running the system at night (but you could use the HP just for that if need be). The black sky will take heat out of the pool but you will have to determine how much panel area will fill your needs. They are pretty cheap so there is not much risk in putting in more panels.
thanks mikeholm

Hi, I have an article with formula for "How to calculate the swimming pool heat pump for your pool?" (http://heatpumping.org/how-to-calculate-the-swimming-pool-heat-pump-for-your-pool/)
Hope this will help you.
thanks HPG, i have to study more from ur link.if you have any model sheet used same inputs, please send me. it may help me to understand well.

Moideen-Dubai

mbc
06-12-2011, 07:16 AM
Hi Moideen

my calculation based on to cool only the water from ambient temperature48 to 30 in 16h not in 24h with out any loosing cool in pool (we have a lot and to calculate that we need more information as same as size of pool and material of structure in pool also surface color of pool and....) .
as I wrote before this load is a starting load ,not running load , in running load only we have to cover our loosing load ( as I wrote before) . our design should be in high load and should cover that .

if we forgot the pool and think we have room with your volume 145 M3 (you say 2m high) == 72.5 m2
So about 10 m x 7 m ( length X wide ) to cool this room with out any insulation. How much we need capacity?