PDA

View Full Version : How much charge is in the system?

nobow
03-12-2011, 10:57 AM
I just done a service and had a walk in fridge and freezer, my problem is as the is data tag on the compresser units with just the max amount of charge the system can handle, and no records on site of what the original charge was put into the systems.

Is there a quick way of working out the rough amount of refrigerant in the systems, i reckon there is more than 3kg gas but not sure the upper amount in there.

From the fridge/freezer to the condensor units is about 20ft run up to the roof. Just to be on the safe side i recomended the the unit have a twice yearly inspection.

install monkey
03-12-2011, 11:10 AM
estimate 2.9kg of gas then its exepmy from f gas haha
best to degas and weigh it then recharge,should be able to do this within an hour,so do it when the product is at setpoint,then label the system,also allow for the gas in ur reclaim rig

mbc
03-12-2011, 04:29 PM
best thing is looking for sight glass in liquid line it should be full liquid .

install monkey
03-12-2011, 05:23 PM
not always-that will only show the volume of refrigerant in the system not the system charge in weight

mbc
03-12-2011, 05:57 PM
that is right , mean think is charge system in right amount, we could weight balloon before and after charging system

monkey spanners
03-12-2011, 06:04 PM
There was and may still be a formula on the Defra web site for estimating system charge to see if its covered by F-Gas regs.

Generally it won't be over the reciever volume, but it depends on the pipe run, and previous quality of work carried out on the system.

nobow
03-12-2011, 06:28 PM
Thanks that defra site is stil there, and can see it will be very usefull thanks.