PDA

View Full Version : Wet Meat!

Rory Tamplin
19-10-2005, 11:01 AM
Hi,

Seem to be having trouble with meat that is coming out of the meat hanging room, the butchery dept. is saying that the meat is to wet to cut as is taking twice as long to do. The temp has not changed, and the location has been the same for the last year?
any ideas?

thanks

Double V
19-10-2005, 11:19 AM
Hi Rory

I had a similar problem here in South Africa. The first problem is possibly the temperature, if the room is not cold enough, it will create a wet slime on the meat.

The second problem we found is the abbattoirs are starting to wash the carcass before it goes into the chiller with ice water, to bring down the cooling times & to prevent weight loss in the meat. This could be something their supplier has started doing. if this is the case their is nothing you can do from your side.

I hope this helps.
VV

Peter_1
19-10-2005, 06:54 PM
Hi,

Seem to be having trouble with meat that is coming out of the meat hanging room, the butchery dept. is saying that the meat is to wet to cut as is taking twice as long to do. The temp has not changed, and the location has been the same for the last year?
any ideas?

thanks
Also...hi:rolleyes: ,
I have some slaughteries between my clients and a lot of meat cutting companies and every time the outside temperature is dropping- so know- this problem arises.

But I don't know you at all.

A search on this great site can solve perhaps your problem.

rbartlett
19-10-2005, 07:52 PM
for me it's more normal for it to be a temperature problem.

points to note

is the meat 'sticky'
is the meat dripping blood
is the meat soft and squidgy

this is usually a sign of a higher than normal temperature -ie above 3 deg's c

most slaughter houses and butchers don't control humidity except passively.

therefore stick a binder probe in the meat and check it's actual temperature.

cheers

richard

Peter_1
19-10-2005, 09:24 PM
We have a client who has a meat cutting factory.
We installed a small pack with a heat reclaim plate HE on it.
The agreement was that client should install all the water lines and also should look for someone to connect the heat reclaim.
But he was so busy that he postponed this job some months.
The conservation of the meat was fine till he connected the water on the heat reclaim HE.
From one day to another, the meat became sticky, the blood on the floor wasn't drying anymore, there wasn't any conservation at all.
And...the setted temperatures were at the same temperature.

rbartlett
19-10-2005, 09:29 PM
We have a client who has a meat cutting factory.
We installed a small pack with a heat reclaim plate HE on it.
The agreement was that client should install all the water lines and also should look for someone to connect the heat reclaim.
But he was so busy that he postponed this job some months.
The conservation of the meat was fine till he connected the water on the heat reclaim HE.
From one day to another, the meat became sticky, the blood on the floor wasn't drying anymore, there wasn't any conservation at all.
And...the setted temperatures were at the same temperature.

which hints at humidity..interesting

how did you sort it??

cheers

richard

Peter_1
19-10-2005, 10:05 PM
Sladebling,
I bet you never were in a slaughtery these days, especially after the BSE (mad cow) disease.

Injecting water...:eek: :confused:
Injecting proteins in chicken meat, yes...

Richard, we had 3 fans on the condenser: one was running simultaneously with the compressor, and the 2 others were HP controlled.
We forgot to set these two HP which were controlled too low.
But as long as there was no water in the system, the HP remained relative high, especially because we had chosen the air condenser relative small and a large plate HE;
We had to change the setup that all 3 fans were HP controlled and the HP remained at the same level.
My experience is that if the room is cooling less then 14hours/day, then you will encounter humidity problems and you will artificially have to increase the running time of the compressor. This is adding heat, decreasing the LP, decreasing the surface $of the evaporator (cutting off a section of the coil which we have done some times)