PDA

View Full Version : Reliability Ensurance Checklist

Kompulsa
02-11-2011, 12:43 PM
Hello.

Since I am still learning, and I got a 12,000 BTU rotary hermetic A/C compressor.

I just want to tell you what I have learnt about what not to do to the compressor to extend it's life as much as possible so that you can tell me if I forgot anything important. I really cannot afford to damage this one too quickly. There is the possibility that I forgot some things. Another reason for posting this is that other new people will see this thread and learn from not only the safety tips here but your criticism and additions as well.

1. Do not operate compressor without refrigerant as it will overheat due to the fact that the motor is refrigerant cooled.

1a. Don't allow condenser to overheat because the refrigerant has to stay cool to keep the compressor cool, because the condenser also acts as a form of radiator.

2. Evacuate thoroughly/Don't operate unit with air inside as that may cause pressure and/or temperature to increase too much (I don't remember the exact warning).

3. Don't mix refrigerants due to the risk of creating a flammable product.

4. Don't allow dust nor any form of debris to get into the compressor.

5. No moisture is to enter the compressor because that will accelerate corrosion.

6. Don't leave any part of the compressor without paint, if paint scratches off, paint it to prevent corrosion.

7. Operate compressor at least occasionally to preventing it from seizing up.

8. Don't operate compressor with an over sized nor undersized start/running capacitor. If it is undersized, it may fail to start and the motor could overheat (could someone confirm this?). If it is oversized, the motor could overheat. < I need to confirm that too.

9. When replacing the compressor, don't use the new compressor with the old receiver/drier, as the old drier may release debris into the new compressor and damage it or at least shorten it's lifespan. Driers are cheap enough to warrant replacing them with the compressor.

10. You don't need to add oil to a new rotary compressor because it comes prefilled with oil already?

11. Don't try to insulate condensing unit during the winter because internally it will just become colder since it is acting as the evaporator, then it will freeze even more. I need this confirmed too.

I want everyone to be sure about these things, including myself, that is why I believe this thread is a good idea.

mikeref
03-11-2011, 12:15 AM
1A. Condenser is used to remove heat out of the hot gas and fans on condenser move the air to ensure this happens.

install monkey
03-11-2011, 12:22 AM
moisture in the system will create acid which will attack the windings.
also when replacing the compressor,also replace the electrics too

mikeref
03-11-2011, 12:27 AM
Number 8. Capacitors have to be correct rating and voltage. Compressors have trouble starting and running without them, or if they are the wrong size.

Kompulsa
03-11-2011, 01:28 PM
1A. Condenser is used to remove heat out of the hot gas and fans on condenser move the air to ensure this happens.

Yes, I should have mentioned the importance of the fan. Thank you. :)

I will add that you need to ensure the fan works.

Btw, this compressor came with an accumulator attached to it, I don't have to purchase a drier, do I? :s ($$)