PDA

View Full Version : Superheat horn

monkey spanners
31-10-2011, 08:54 PM
A system running on a type 2 refrigerant such as R134a exhibits a superheat horn on the pressure enthalpy diagram but a system running on a type 3 refrigerant has not superheat horn because the shape of the saturated vapour curve is such that when you start compression with a saturated vapour the exist of the compression lies in the two phase region.

My question is what effect does in the real world?

Is it just that with type 3 refrigerants if there is no suction superheat then there is no discharge superheat?
And with type 2 refrigerants that even with no suction superheat that there will be discharge superheat?

Jon :confused:

al
31-10-2011, 09:09 PM
any pics of your horn?

al

stufus
31-10-2011, 09:12 PM
Easy there Al , don't go spilling the bean's so to speak.

Cheers

Stu

frank
31-10-2011, 09:39 PM
With no superheat you have liquid entering the compressor :eek:

mad fridgie
31-10-2011, 09:46 PM
Not sure what you mean about your horn, (means something different in my terms)
But i think to answer your question.
look at P-H diagram, you will see some lines marked "s"
So at your comp inlet point SST, follow the "s" line until it insects your discharge pressure (SCT)
Now at this point see how the "s" line intersects the Temperature curves. This will give the you the theoretical discharge temp and remove the SCT from this number to give actual amount of discharge superheat. But you then to include efficiency, which then alters the figure.

monkey spanners
31-10-2011, 10:14 PM
Was watching a vid on youtube on vapour compression cycle by Prof. M Ramgopal, have a look around 33 minutes into the vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9yirfC8niI

The horn thingy is shown on page 5 of this link,

http://lcs.syr.edu/faculty/khalifa/MAE554/RefrigerationPrint.pdf

Most of it was beyond my understanding but the idea that you could compress a refrigerant and it not be superheated made me wonder if i understood correctly.

Jon :o

monkey spanners
31-10-2011, 10:20 PM
Not sure what you mean about your horn, (means something different in my terms)
But i think to answer your question.
look at P-H diagram, you will see some lines marked "s"
So at your comp inlet point SST, follow the "s" line until it insects your discharge pressure (SCT)
Now at this point see how the "s" line intersects the Temperature curves. This will give the you the theoretical discharge temp and remove the SCT from this number to give actual amount of discharge superheat. But you then to include efficiency, which then alters the figure.

On the example they showed, due to the shape of the temperature curve the discharge temp was inside the curve so no superheat with type 3 refrigerant.
See vid link in my other reply.
Jon :confused:

r.bartlett
31-10-2011, 10:23 PM
Now I like type 2 refrigerants and I like type 3 refrigerants..But which one is better?

There's only one way to find out.............................

mad fridgie
01-11-2011, 02:02 AM
Not a refrigerant that I have used. But does follow the rules as indicated. The practical issues relate to the type of plant, Does liquid actually form during the compression process, or does the vapour remain super-cooled.Does the varying efficiency factors elevate the vapour temp actually above the 2 phase zone
Very Interesting!!!!!!!!????????