PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with Condensor fan?

quietmale3269
28-10-2011, 06:03 PM
Hi,

The other day my wife noticed that the divider between the refridgerator and freezer was warm to hot to the touch and smelled hot.

I unloaded the freezer and removed the back panel inside the freezer. Everything seemed fine. Although I didn't see the heater come on. The evaporator fan was working. The dispensors(ice and water) are working fine. The evaporator coils were frosty.

So I ordered and replaced the heater and evaporator thermister. No differnce. Still warm. Everything was working fine.

Heater, evaporator coil etc. Moved the appliance to gain access to control board. Nothing obvious. No dark spots or hot smell. Unplugged the fridge and plugged back in after a minute. I could hear all the relays snap on, but noticed the condensor fan wasn't working. I observed for a few hours and the fan never came on. I pulled apart the harness to the condenser fan motor. Took a resistance reading on motor. It was open to ground. Checked other side of harness ...120v to ground on one pin, but nothing on other pin to ground. I can hear the compressor running, but it feels hot to the touch.

I am wondering about the voltage to the fan? I am also wondering if it could be the relay or overload on the compressor?

Possibly the capacitor?

We are trying to avoid getting new fridge as the economy has been tough on us as it has to so many. Thanks for reading and contemplating the problem.

Mike

monkey spanners
28-10-2011, 06:44 PM
Most condenser fans run at the same time as the compressor, though some do cycle on and off as needs be to stop the condenser getting too cool.

Does the fan show a resistance across its windings? If its open circuit its likely its failed. Was it hot to the touch? Could be seized. If you are competant and the voltage is correct to try, can you test its ok with a seperate power supply?

mikeref
28-10-2011, 10:44 PM
Condenser fan motor is cactus. Without air flow across condenser, heat is transferred to anti sweat circuit around the cabinet..Mike.

chemi-cool
29-10-2011, 11:13 AM
Condenser fan might need some cleaning and oil, if it doesn't help, replace it.

Hot divider between compartments is normal, the purpose is to avoid freezing in the fridge side, it must have been too hot as a result of the condenser fan not working.