PDA

View Full Version : So where did rep power go?

djbe
26-10-2011, 11:07 PM
Hi all,
At the start of the year, I asked where the rep power "button" went?

Now it seems to have been removed, is "Rep power" a thing of the past?

If it is R.I.P Rep power, I quite liked it (sad as I may be;))
Regards,
djbe.

chillerman2006
26-10-2011, 11:24 PM
Hi djbe

Only noticed when I got infractionated and looked for my rep points to bail me out, they were gone !

Was expecting to loose some points but gained some instead and a few of the lads were quite jealous
So maybe now its who can get the most infraction points ;)

R's chillerman

frank
27-10-2011, 09:35 PM
When the site was upgraded to 'keep up with technology' (new server etc), lots of complaints were made about the loading speed of the forum, so, to try and isolate why the new site was having slow loading problems (for some members), and to speed up the site, the Boss has disabled certain functions - one of which is the Rep Points. You will also notice that the Members button is no longer showing or the background fridge bloke.

Maybe at some time in the near future the functions will re-appear, but, that's a decision for the Boss.

paul_h
28-10-2011, 02:10 PM
Hi, Frank, not shooting the messenger, but yeah, this is still the slowest loading website on the internet, and last time rep or other features were brought up, it was all removed to stop spammers etc apparently, (ironic since the blogs are enabled and full of spammers don't you think?)
I had to use a 3G USB mobile modem today when my main ADSL connection went down. Refrig engineer was the only site that I couldn't visit because its so damn slow it timed out. Even now with my ADSL2 connection restored, took ages to load this page to reply here.
I've been on the net for a long long time, and I appreciate this site, so I'm used to waiting and don't really complain just because this site is a little slow. But it's laughable to have someone say features are disabled due to anti spamming measures, and then others say the same things have been removed to make this site load faster.
It's still very slow, so nothing gained speed wise and sacrificing features for speed seems to be a waste, and to hear from others it's for anti spam, well someone has got the story wrong...

edit: For the record, yes this is still the slowest loading site I frequent, regardless of measures taken. But meh, I'm used to it, all servers are limited and restrict bandwidth. My ADSL2+ is faster than most want to send. But really, the server here is taking the piss with how slow it is.

frank
28-10-2011, 02:49 PM
Paul

The features added or taken away are entirely done by Webram - the Mods do not have any input.

Can't say that I find the site slow though, either at work or at home - ADSL at work and Cable (fibre optic) at home. On the iPhone, even with 3G, well, that's another matter ;)

TRASH101
28-10-2011, 02:53 PM
ADSL at work and Cable (fibre optic) at home. On the iPhone, even with 3G, well, that's another matter ;)

You are so well connected. Although I hope that neural interfacing network access isn't to close.....fo your sake!!!!

:)

paul_h
28-10-2011, 03:14 PM
Paul

The features added or taken away are entirely done by Webram - the Mods do not have any input.

Can't say that I find the site slow though, either at work or at home - ADSL at work and Cable (fibre optic) at home. On the iPhone, even with 3G, well, that's another matter ;)
Not saying the mods run the forum at all, just refering to the last time I heard about rep being disabled after the forum upgrade http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/showthread.php?30643-Rep-Power

But it's always been slow for me, but not really complaining about that. Maybe the hosting service offers poor speeds to overseas people? In that case removing functionality to improve speeds is a slap in the face, still slow, but now with less features.

simon@parker
28-10-2011, 05:39 PM
hi paul must be yr computer or yr broad band have just got a new laptop beats my old steam driven one into ground loads this page real quick :) or perhaps i am just special lol :)

mikeref
28-10-2011, 05:45 PM
Hey Paul, some days (on this side of Aus) this site does not respond at all, and other times is quite fast. Can't work it out myself.

djbe
28-10-2011, 08:49 PM
When the site was upgraded to 'keep up with technology' (new server etc), lots of complaints were made about the loading speed of the forum, so, to try and isolate why the new site was having slow loading problems (for some members), and to speed up the site, the Boss has disabled certain functions - one of which is the Rep Points. You will also notice that the Members button is no longer showing or the background fridge bloke.

Maybe at some time in the near future the functions will re-appear, but, that's a decision for the Boss.

Thanks Frank, my curiosity is satisfied.

Now, pleeeze Mr Boss man, can we have Rep power back?

Regards,
djbe.

install monkey
29-10-2011, 04:08 PM
int the freq asked questions-quote- maybe this needs removing if we dont have brownie points!!haha
Rating ThreadsWhat are ratings?
The forums allow you to rate threads between 1 star (terrible) and 5 stars (excellent). Once enough votes are cast for a thread, stars will appear next to its name in the listings. These show the average vote, and can be an easy way to see which threads are worth reading if you are on a busy forum.
On the forum viewing page you can also arrange threads by rating, with either the highest or lowest at the top.
It therefore makes sense to rate threads because it helps all users. To do this, click on the 'rate thread' link at the top of the thread viewing page. Choose the number of stars you feel best represents the quality of the thread. You may or may not be able to change your choice of rating at a later date.

djbe
29-10-2011, 09:29 PM
Well now I know that, I have just rated this thread as excellent:):o

MikeHolm
29-10-2011, 11:03 PM
Careful what you ask for as Webram might put in negative points if you give stupid answers, some of us might be in a deep hole.....

install monkey
29-10-2011, 11:56 PM
mike-givint that i cannot give u rep power or even rate this post ive gone 1 better and reported it haha!!
:o
-joke-

MikeHolm
30-10-2011, 12:44 AM
Ohh, go to sleep dude. It's past your bedtime;)

I still can't figure out facebook, bloody H.....

WebRam
30-10-2011, 06:16 PM
OK, OK but if its gets bad again, I am switching it off :)