PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical question.

taz24
26-10-2011, 04:45 PM
Hypothetical question.
For the guys in the UK you will all know of City & Guilds!!!!
If you were offered the opportunity to write materials and assessments
That could then go on to affect the standards and training for qualifications in the future,
What would you change?

All the best

taz.

Grizzly
26-10-2011, 10:40 PM
Tick Box exam sheets.

Open book exams that you redo every 3 / 5 yrs.
Any idiot can pass one of those, unless they don't know how to find the answer which is placed in front of them.
I will give you quest some thought and get back to you taz.
Grizzly

chillerman2006
26-10-2011, 11:03 PM
Hi Taz

staged certification & no dodgey trainers/centres

ie: step one competent to work supervised, step two competent to work alone filter bashing temp/pressure recording, step three competent to work alone service work small commercial/domestic and so on, and on

strict training/qualification for all

if you fail a test then your next step is training course, take the course, resit exam theory/pratical

and deffo ALL CLOSED BOOK ! And minimum two weeks between training & exam

this will have a number of effects on the industry

engineers will be highly skilled/knowledgable
customers get best service
trade gets a good name
generates lots of work for trainers/centres

and my two favourite

I get taught what I dont know
Wages fly up, inline with skill/compentence

oh & an extra 5 days holiday for me & my feloow fridgies - c&g hoildays !

if fact c&g can open some holiday resorts for fridgies with all the bucks they would make

R's chillerman

Magoo
28-10-2011, 06:20 AM
Hi Taz 24.
any input for practical training would be better than the plonkers current. The whole training thing world wide is money driven.
Basically "go for it ". First thing to adopt is in feild training, books are good as a first stage , hands on is the final. So many times a student comes out with glowing references theoretically, but given a feild task and the brain is not connected to the hands on stuff.

charlie patt
28-10-2011, 07:50 PM
excellent question firstly adrress all the trainers that are just there to pick up the money secondly make the governing body get out there and adress the situation with untrained staff.the next thing woud be clear up all the bad information going around about the f gas regs and rules. next one is a real must stop all unlicensed sale of ref and parts like ebay. and why do we follow the rules and regs when you can go into city pluming and buy a dipo pipe freezeing aerosol which is mainly r134a and just spray it to atmosphere. next one a register for all transport and car ac gassing, just top it up it only needs a top up just dont cut it anymore and nearer a main dealer you get the worst it is on the course work side a bit more practical if you cant flare its going to leak, on the course i did i went with a senior engineer and between us aprox 40 years fridge experience, never claimed to no it all but the course we done was poor, i even complained and this was a leading provider who basically did not seem to interested. 4 in total senior guys on course who learned nothing and 3 newbies who thought they where now fully skilled, i saw one newbie aprox 6 months after and he has had 3 jobs with ac firms and was let go on the first day of each job and he paid for the course out of his own money level playing field thats all i ask for / there thats todays frustrations out of the window bring on tomoz calls ta charlie