PDA

View Full Version : Anyone moved from UK to australia for refrigeration/AC?

rich the cool
25-10-2011, 07:16 AM
ive been interested in trying somewhere new for a while and a lot of people rave about austrlia, im toying with the idea of moving over there, ive done the visa test and passed it no problem but is it best to get sponsered by a company before going or going and then looking for a job?
ive got NVQ level 2 refrigeration, with 4.5yrs refrigeration experience, NVQ level 3 electrical, electrical national certificate, advanced modern electrical apprenticeship, 2 years electrical experience. im 23 years old, single
i understand you need an arctic license and electrical licenses to work in aus how would i go about getting these??

Tesla
25-10-2011, 09:16 AM
Hi Rich

I am going through the process, I arrived from NZ 11 years ago and have to do a trades recognition certificate course, apply for the certificate, then apply for the Arctic license. Basically a 40 odd page assignment which is not easy, then a practical test at the local tafe with interviews of knowledge and a lot of perseverance with bureaucracy and handing over a bunch of cash. Not to mention a bunch of documentation (proof) of prior certification and experience. If you approach some target companies you may get sponsored before arriving which will make it easier.

rich the cool
25-10-2011, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the reply tesla! I had an email from the visa beuro and they said perhaps i would prefer a working holiday visa... Cost about £250 and takes up to 8 weeks lasts for 12 months are there down sides to this?? Whats new zeland like for refrigeration work? What are the target companies i should be looking at? Any reccomended areas of aus? Im not a big fan of installation so would like to stick with service work.
Thanks, rich

r.bartlett
25-10-2011, 03:35 PM
Have you used the search facility here?

Tesla
26-10-2011, 07:04 AM
Not sure about your visa - my one is automatic. If you work in NZ it would probably be like working in where you are coming from, Ausie is my choice - I think I get the best buck for my work here with a good fair life style. Anything more you can PM me or check out the search.

paddyaircon
18-12-2011, 07:17 PM
i bet its warmer than manchester

cold.man
18-12-2011, 07:26 PM
you need to do your TRA trade recognition assessment and obviously pass it
then you need to apply for your visa best one to get would be your skilled independant visa when i did mine it was the 136 visa i beleive it has changed now.
this visa gives you permanant residency.
you also need to do there refrigeratnt handling license ARC and you need to gain the restricted electrical license also for refrigeration and air conditioning.
without these 2 certs you cannot work in OZ.
i did mine on arrival in 2006 worked there until 2010 then returned to the UK now back in sunny manchester.
i believe you can take the ARC test and restricted elec test in London now before going to OZ but you couldnt back in 2006.
anymore info needed give me a holla mate

cold.man
18-12-2011, 07:42 PM
Visa companies will shaft you !!!!!
if you think you can go to OZ on a working holiday visa and work in the refrigeration industry your wrong mate and if this is what the visa company have told you slap them in the face with a fish.

you cannot get your licenses with a TRA look on www.arc.com.au (http://www.arc.com.au) and www.immi.gov.au
sponsorship by a company is a big chance to take ive seen many people shafted that way if you want to make the move there do it properly get a skilled independant visa and be a permanent resident in your own right.

just be very careful if using a migration agent they are just after one thing your money i did all the visa process myself after being advised to go on a 457 sponsored visa then realised the agent was just a kn!!!!!!ed.