PDA

View Full Version : Siemens KG36NH10GB Fridge Freezer problem

LemonJelly
05-10-2011, 06:34 PM
Has anyone here got one of these, or a similar Siemens fridge freezer? I got one a couple of weeks ago, and it suffers from the really strange problem that if the fridge door is pushed shut with any more force than that supplied by a little finger, it causes the freezer door below to sort of blow open. If the door is pushed shut by eg a teenage boy, the freezer door then opens far enough to stay open, causing damage to the contents. This has happened repeatedly...

It also happens in reverse - if the freezer is shut firmly it blows the fridge door open.

I have of course checked that the fridge is perfectly level.

I called out a Siemens engineer, who gave me a pile of nonsense about 'it is designed like this because customers want a fridge that they don't have to push the door shut' and 'you mustn't push the fridge door shut, let it swing shut'. And of course 'I have had several people complain about this' as if that makes it somehow better! In short, he said there is nothing that can be done.

Does this actually happen to other Siemens owners? Or is it just my particular fridge?

This is a SERIOUS design flaw if the engineer is correct and it is not a fault. I can't stand over every visitor to the house (especially the kids school friends) and explain to them exactly how they must shut the fridge door. Therefore if I need to go back to the shop I bought it from and ask them to take it away, I would like to know whether to get it replaced for another one or to ask for a refund to buy something completely different?

tonto33
05-10-2011, 06:51 PM
[QUOTE=LemonJelly;242906]I called out a Siemens engineer, who gave me a pile of nonsense about 'it is designed like this because customers want a fridge that they don't have to push the door shut' and 'you mustn't push the fridge door shut, let it swing shut'. And of course 'I have had several people complain about this' as if that makes it somehow better! In short, he said there is nothing that can be done.

Yep the engineer is correct, customers dont want doors to be pushed hard to close them, so slow close ones have been brought out on certain fridges, same as slow close drawers fitted in kitchens,also When you close the refrigerator door the volume or air that is created from the door with all the food has to go some where. The volume of air rushes into the refrigerator compartment and into the freezer from the vent holes between the two compartments. The air has to go some where so it pushes on the freezer door and if you close the refrigerator door hard enough it will pop open the freezer door

simon@parker
05-10-2011, 07:18 PM
there should be a depressurisation vent at top of fridge to prevent this from happening and yep your right seems like a poor design does the fridge door actually close on its own if left open ? would suggest you get an old style child lock that just sticks to fridge and fit it to freezer door so it wont pop open :)