PDA

View Full Version : Digicool questions

MikeHolm
02-10-2011, 02:06 AM
OK, I will possibly get a Testo 560 or listening to others here, the Digicool might be interesting. Digicool website is bollocks as it doesn't tell you anything about valves or how to attach anything and there seems to be no manual you can download to see whats what.

Anyone had any real experience with it or got a digital manual?

Also, as Honeywell has a new R407F, how would an existing digital unit work with a refrigerant that doesn't have it data on board.

digital is all new to me so don't want to make a mistake

chillerman2006
02-10-2011, 07:17 AM
Hi Mike

check out this thread http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/showthread.php?32811-TESTO-digital-manifold&highlight=testo+problem

And read bottom upwards for digicool

I will probaly go yellowjacket myself

but may get the digicool add on gauges to fit my current manifolds

it appears they are gauges only - from thread & you use comparetor in the usual way

complete units such as testo & yellowjacket, will have updates on their websites for new refrigerants...well supposedly....dont know how quick they will be to compile the new data and make these available

R's chillerman

MikeHolm
02-10-2011, 12:03 PM
Yea, I saw that thread which leaves as many questions as it answers. Digicool has some nice features but they just don't give enough info.

Bigfreeze
02-10-2011, 07:19 PM
I have the Testo 560 for about a year Mike. Pretty good piece of kit. Can't fault them apart from not having a proper vacuum guage which the 567(??) now has. Would suit you as you do alot of workshop work and so won't be dogged in the back of a van.

MikeHolm
02-10-2011, 10:42 PM
I have the Testo 560 for about a year Mike. Pretty good piece of kit. Can't fault them apart from not having a proper vacuum guage which the 567(??) now has. Would suit you as you do alot of workshop work and so won't be dogged in the back of a van.

560 or 567? the four port model sounds mighty desireable

Bigfreeze
03-10-2011, 12:27 PM
560 or 567? the four port model sounds mighty desireable

I have the 550. The 557 (thats the right code :o) is the four port model with vacuum guage. I was tempted by it. But i'm a bugger for buying tools and gadgets, they nearly have me broke.

557 would be right up your street. I could see why they wouldn't take abuse but digital things rarely do. Treat them right and I think they'd stand you well. Keenly priced too.

Although in your case the 470 might be the job, so you can run an analysis overnight, download the data, make an adjustment and run another. Would be very handy as you're building from the ground up.

chillerman2006
03-10-2011, 09:18 PM
Mike

ALL electronic vac gauges are **** and with unrealiability written by many about testo gauges would avoid the 557

at best its 50/50 that you will be happy and get good use for your bucks

I love my gadgets/tools but think it will be some years before I buy digi gauges as too many conflicting views from others that have them

stick with a decent dial torr gauge and protect with push button nrv, they last forever, well nearly

R's chillerman

install monkey
03-10-2011, 09:31 PM
ive had testo 550's for 5 yr now no prob, just carry loads of batteries, also make sure u get a case and store them safely in the van- if you shelled out all that money gour gonna look after them, as long as you dont have an apprentice!!!

al
03-10-2011, 09:36 PM
I got a set of the testo gauges last year, quite impressed, got a decent case and have had no problems.

Drawbacks are you can only use testo sensors etc

al

chillerman2006
03-10-2011, 09:41 PM
I got a set of the testo gauges last year, quite impressed, got a decent case and have had no problems.

Drawbacks are you can only use testo sensors etc

al

Al

thats been rephrased slightly

Stu

Where do you get the yellow jacket from?
I'm using a Testo 2budget" model, not bad but buying peripherals is going to bankrupt me:)

Alec

R's chillerman

chillerman2006
03-10-2011, 09:49 PM
I have had these for years

But hardly used; only for remedials as most chillers have gauges or transducers

R's chillerman

install monkey
03-10-2011, 09:53 PM
theyre not zero'ed u rough ass.

I have had these for years

But hardly used; only for remedials as most chillers have gauges or transducers

R's chillerman

chillerman2006
03-10-2011, 10:01 PM

Must have had squirt of vapour in oil when removed.......always zero'ed before use

You should know how predantic I am by now

And living in such a hilly area as you do, bet you need do yours more often than me

R's chillerman

MikeHolm
03-10-2011, 10:11 PM

Hahahahahahah

install monkey
03-10-2011, 10:12 PM
mine are zero'ed at seal level whilst holding a barometer, then sealed with ofn until reuse!! haha

Must have had squirt of vapour in oil when removed.......always zero'ed before use

You should know how predantic I am by now

And living in such a hilly area as you do, bet you need do yours more often than me

R's chillerman

MikeHolm
03-10-2011, 10:16 PM
BF may be right tho....I should get a good set of digitals for shop work and testing and I can always use my old yellowjacket dials for on site. I do have an apprentice and being a subordinate I can tell him to get his own bloody gauges:D

I have has a Fluke 8020A multimeter since 1983 and it is still going strong so digitals can last if treated right.

al
03-10-2011, 10:18 PM
rephrased CM but basically saying the same thing n'est pas?

al

MikeHolm
03-10-2011, 10:23 PM
Sorry Al, I failed french.....

MikeHolm
03-10-2011, 10:25 PM
A total aside.....on one of the car forums I am on, if you type in Renault or Peugeot, it comes out as "french filth"

al
03-10-2011, 10:31 PM
mike there's times my english baffles people!

http://politicalhumor.about.com/library/images/blpic-frenchmilitaryvictories.htm

al

chillerman2006
03-10-2011, 10:41 PM
rephrased CM but basically saying the same thing n'est pas?

al

Is Not Close !

I personally cant justify them, if had workshop work for sure, especially as with Mike testing, all good

but to drag gauges round with me on site is a pain at best of times

someone (sorry forgot who but still gratefull) suggested a single gauge and short hose plus quick coupler and that all I carry now

if I had testo's would need wireless probes as satndard probaly not reach where I need them to and as I have DT40 and all my other bits and bobs for temperature sorted, I would have to be mad to buy when all my gear is in good nick and as Mike said fluke meters are good, my 79 is about 15 years old

(pictures taken for insurance - before anyone asks):p

R's chillerman

install monkey
03-10-2011, 10:44 PM
how can u claim for a new floor when its full of tools- ur in the dog house when she wants to make a brew!!! also them tools are very clean!!!

Is Not Close !

I personally cant justify them, if had workshop work for sure, especially as with Mike testing, all good

but to drag gauges round with me on site is a pain at best of times

someone (sorry forgot who but still gratefull) suggested a single gauge and short hose plus quick coupler and that all I carry now

if I had testo's would need wireless probes as satndard probaly not reach where I need them to and as I have DT40 and all my other bits and bobs for temperature sorted, I would have to be mad to buy when all my gear is in good nick and as Mike said fluke meters are good, my 79 is about 15 years old

(pictures taken for insurance - before anyone asks):p

R's chillerman

chillerman2006
03-10-2011, 10:52 PM
how can u claim for a new floor when its full of tools- ur in the dog house when she wants to make a brew!!! also them tools are very clean!!!

Haha

that is the new floor...and me being predantic yet again, tools always cleaned

WD40 removes oil/muck ect..... also had to work to 'NAS1638' for too long

R's chillerman

install monkey
03-10-2011, 11:01 PM
wd40 is good for the hands too,make em soft and shiny- maybe thats why ur fishing is poor at the mo, - coz u smell like kevin webster ( uk soap mechanic- google translation - kylie was a mechanic too! haha)
Haha

that is the new floor...and me being predantic yet again, tools always cleaned

WD40 removes oil/muck ect..... also had to work to 'NAS1638' for too long

R's chillerman

chillerman2006
03-10-2011, 11:04 PM
wd40 is good for the hands too,make em soft and shiny- maybe thats why ur fishing is poor at the mo, - coz u smell like kevin webster ( uk soap mechanic- google translation - kylie was a mechanic too! haha)

Handfull of sugar and washing up liquid gets anything off your hands

and makes her whinge like mad when I use the tea towel to dry them on after getting oil all round HER sink

R;s chillerman

MikeHolm
03-10-2011, 11:14 PM
So it is sorted then.....except, which digital one to get. The question still remains....anyone know anything about the digicool?

MikeHolm
03-10-2011, 11:31 PM
mike there's times my english baffles people!

http://politicalhumor.about.com/library/images/blpic-frenchmilitaryvictories.htm

al

That one's good.

Bigfreeze
04-10-2011, 04:32 PM
So it is sorted then.....except, which digital one to get. The question still remains....anyone know anything about the digicool?

Yes, they're bloody expensive... and incomplete :D

Bigfreeze
04-10-2011, 04:34 PM
This might help you choose

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXZetTQdB7o :D

paul_h
04-10-2011, 06:12 PM
Mike

ALL electronic vac gauges are **** and with unrealiability written by many about testo gauges would avoid the 557

at best its 50/50 that you will be happy and get good use for your bucks

I love my gadgets/tools but think it will be some years before I buy digi gauges as too many conflicting views from others that have them

stick with a decent dial torr gauge and protect with push button nrv, they last forever, well nearly

R's chillerman
Especially the 557. I was really tempted on that, but the vac gauge resolution is 500 microns, ie so when it reads 1000 microns, it's anywhere between 1250 and 750.
I was really tempted on that 557, but that vac gauge (and the whole point of having a 4 way manifold with a built in vac gauge) made it less attractive.
I already have a vac gauge anyway, and being that I work on small stuff so my problem is the schraeders. 4 way with 3/8" line won't help. I need some good 5/16" core removers and some short 1/4" ones too before I care about 4 way manifolds and digital gauges and 3/8" vac line.
So why not use some core removers direct to vac gauge with a tee to my current vac gauge, ie not use the manifold when evacuating altogether? I thought to myself

So like CM here I came to the conclusion not to bother for a while, none have been proven to be reliable enough anyway, it's early adoption phase IMHO, where there's still many problems, and they aren't my most pressing need out on the field where I have real life restrictions put upon me (pun not intended).

But for a manufacturer or someone who's a gadget freak or has an easier work environment, I'd probably get testo if in europe, or the sman2 if in the US and wanted a new all in one manifold, or the digicool if you already had your own favourite manifold you still wanted to use. IE it's about local support, as you may need it because they don't seem that bullet proof, and may need updates for new refrigerants, and I get the feeling no matter what you buy, you probably will need local support and parts/repair.

MikeHolm
04-10-2011, 09:57 PM
All you guys are too logical. I don't think you will get two fridgies to agree on anything... LOL:D

Paul brings up good questions about the port sizes, 1/4, 5/16,/ 3/8 and I don't know anyone with digicools anyway. I have only the one set of gauges and I won't pull them apart to stick the manifold on the digicool if I did buy it. So....boys and their toys

Testo?

and BF, no our gas is not $9 a gallon according to the video (it's half that)

Bigfreeze
04-10-2011, 10:04 PM
and BF, no our gas is not $9 a gallon according to the video (it's half that)

You'll have a few quid for the guages so ;)

MikeHolm
04-10-2011, 10:10 PM
Oh hell, I'm a sucker for expensive toys......digicool

MikeHolm
04-10-2011, 10:11 PM
now I need to find a good set of used 4 valves (if possible)

mikeref
05-10-2011, 01:09 AM
This might help you choose

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXZetTQdB7o :D Nice link and straight to the point. Colourful adjectives.. What, spell checker doesn't like colourful? Than it's wrong.

MikeHolm
05-10-2011, 02:29 AM
Nice link and straight to the point. Colourful adjectives.. What, spell checker doesn't like colourful? Than it's wrong.

Yea mine doesn't like the "colourful" words.........bloody Americans trying to change the language any way they can:D. They labour hard to make us spell the way they do.

MikeHolm
05-10-2011, 02:37 AM
You'll have a few quid for the guages so ;)

BF, I have seen a couple of these videos including the one about CO2 which was quite good but I can't find any others or who made them. Any idea who?

chillerman2006
05-10-2011, 07:47 PM
Mike

you got me attit now

went to suppliers today and had a deal up on 'Testo 550' with 2 clamp probes chucked in for £220 :cool:

turned out as I needed 4 port, with wireless probes (2x strap, 1x insertion, 1x touch 4x wireless holders/transmitters)

£970 for 'testo 560' deal with all probes/tranmitters £1540 :eek:

Needless to say.....if anyone wants to nick my requirements and tell me there legit... I will give £500 BNIB (thats brand new in box - for none ebay users:rolleyes: )

Other than that ........ I'll buy another 2 stroke motocrosser to play with for same money

R's chillerman

al
05-10-2011, 08:20 PM
from JMW last year, can't imagine prices have risen that much?

Plug-in probe head surface temp-Testo 0602 0394 1 43.29 43.29
Plug-in probe head air and imm/pen-Testo 0602 0293 1 33.93 33.93
Radio module upgrade-Testo 0554 0188 1 24.48 24.48
Radio handle for plug-in probe heads-Testo 0554 0189 1 67.05 67.05
Waterproof immersion probe (Pt100)-Testo 0609 1273 1 55.53 55.53
Pipe clamp probe 15-25mm (K)-Testo 0602 4692 1 41.76 41.76
Clamp on ampere meter-Testo 0554 5607 1 123.30 123.30
Digital refrigeration manifold-Testo 556-1 kit - 0563 5561 1 649.80 649.80
TPI 343 temperature kit 1 1 84.95 84.95
EU carriage charge per consignment 1 45.00 45.00
____________________________________________________________________________________________________ _____
Payment Terms: By Credit Card or Cheque with order. Total (ex VAT): 1169.09
E. & O.E.
All transactions are subject to our standard terms and
conditions of sale. Copies available on request.
VAT (17.5%): 0.00
Total: 1169.0

I found them very willing to do a deal, www.jmwlimited.co.uk

al

chillerman2006
05-10-2011, 08:48 PM
Thanks Al

I only wanted to join the club as you's all have but as 550's no good to me

can not see JMW coming down enough for 560 to interest me mate, let alone all the probes & case/lock/software

will pop in there and try though when passing

probe wise, have a roll of probe cable, only need to replace touch probe, every couple of years

and decent gauges £150-165 ........ so am back to square one ...... the odd one out

altogether now .... argh .... (pm me for paypal account for donations) :rolleyes:

R's chillerman

MikeHolm
05-10-2011, 10:25 PM
Well, I was charging a heat pump today and the plastic cover came off the yellowjackets, which isn't the end of the world as I had them taped on anyway but then the hook was missing, couldn't find it anywhere. I think the valves are telling me get the Digi-cool........Next cheque i get in......

Bigfreeze
05-10-2011, 10:43 PM
BF, I have seen a couple of these videos including the one about CO2 which was quite good but I can't find any others or who made them. Any idea who?

You can make them yourself Mike. Just visit these guys.
www.xtranormal.com

Its good craic to play around with

mikeref
05-10-2011, 11:45 PM
Have to try that one day.

MikeHolm
06-10-2011, 01:21 AM
Cool, but the digicool one was a bit racest, wonder who made it? I have a couple of shows coming up and it might be nice on a TV to get peoples attention.

chillerman2006
17-10-2011, 03:18 PM
Hi Mike

More food for thought http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVxuLLOD2pU&feature=related

R's chillerman

MikeHolm
17-10-2011, 05:52 PM
Now you've added digi-doubt to my already overloaded brain:D

chillerman2006
17-10-2011, 06:24 PM
Now you've added digi-doubt to my already overloaded brain:D

A tad more then - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQgu3isxSbo

R's chillerman

chillerman2006
17-10-2011, 06:38 PM
'Solar' powered Mike ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yldtjFRf514

R's chillerman

Or maybe not !

see end of video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b41_BNHu-S4&feature=related

MikeHolm
17-10-2011, 07:02 PM
the mastercool looks nice but the display isn't very bright. The datalogging feature is nice though. Still haven't made up my mind..... (but not those little yellow jacket things)

kiwireeferman
30-11-2011, 10:04 AM
Can't go past Digi-cool, built like the proverbial brick outhouse. I did have a transducer failure on one set.
The part was replaced in double quick time, no "send us the failed one to look at", or proof of purchase bull****.
The service I have received from this company has been nothing short of outstanding, and I'm a hell of a long way from Canada.

MikeHolm
30-11-2011, 10:58 AM
I bought my 1250 just before the much cheaper AK900 came out, bullitproof product