PDA

View Full Version : Noisy Kelvinator a/c

Curnow
29-09-2011, 03:49 AM
G'Day Gang,

I have a customer with a Kelvinator Split system that the inside fan is very noisy. It is not a mechanical noise but more a air flow noise. It is a 8kw inverter.
How anyone had similar issues with these machines?

paul_h
29-09-2011, 04:36 AM
Come across a few different brands that are chinese design that have a flat fascia, ie no front inlet grille anymore like they used to, all air inlet at the top, that are noisy.

Concluded that the chinese designs need a lot of clearance for those types of flat fascia models. Any less than 200mm from the ceiling just make the fans noisy (based on a different brand, but still chinese design no front inlet grille model I have worked with.) Wouldn't surprise me if Kelvinator is the same in that regard.

Curnow
29-09-2011, 06:46 AM
Thanks paul_h,
There is plenty of clearance around the unit but it just seems like a lot of air noise. I had a thought while doing this reply. Could the fan be turning the wrong direction? The air volume does not seem to directly relate to the noise produced. IE: There seems to be more air flow noise than the air flow being delivered out of the vents.

Cheers
Dennis

paul_h
29-09-2011, 08:01 AM
Does the noise decrease when the filters are removed and the fascia left open?

If so, airflow problem; if not, then maybe fan problem.

mikeref
29-09-2011, 08:49 AM
If it is an older unit than maybe the barrel fan is clogged or the evaporator is not not allowing free movement of air through it, clogged as well.

Curnow
29-09-2011, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the replies,
The unit is only 6 months old and has had little use due to the noise. I did remove 1 filter which did not make any difference. I will go back and do some more checking tomorrow.

Cheers
Dennis