PDA

View Full Version : Spraying hot water directly on a coil with liquid ammonia in it

Screwloose717
21-09-2011, 08:59 AM
I am a new operator flying solo tonight. I turned off our plate freezers about 6 hours ago and left the doors open. They consist of 15 thin stainless plates connected to a drop leg from the surge drum with stainless flex hoses. I'm sure there's still plenty of liquid ammonia in the plates and I just walked by and saw the cleanup crew spraying piping hot water in the freezers. This is from a Strahman so it is probably 175 degrees F. I had an argument with them, they claim to do it all the time. I said, "Well you're not doing it tonight." I'm not going to call anybody and wake them up over it, just wanted to hear what you guys think. :mad::mad::mad:

RANGER1
21-09-2011, 01:12 PM
Screwloose,
I don't think it would matter but I'm with you as it sounds aggressive.
If you sprayed it on OK ,but don't drown it with near boiling water.

CHIEF DELPAC
21-09-2011, 03:10 PM
Hi Screwloose. I looked after some vertical plate freezers {APV a British built freezer} The crew used warm water to aid the defrost of the plates so that the product could be removed. I donot know the water temp. as it came from a steam water mixer. The plates are aluminum. The main problem with this style of freezer is with the hoses that feed the plates tend to leak at the hose plate union. C.D.

Magoo
27-09-2011, 02:14 AM
Hi screwloose,
I totally agree with your call and the cleaning crew. Warm water is OK.