PDA

View Full Version : how long??

DavidF1
16-09-2011, 11:33 PM
Hello... I could do with a little info from those in the know!!!!

How long would you allow to pipe-up 10 ceiling cassette units

Ceiling grid in place (Grrrr)

The usual M&E obstacles above grid + ceiling suspension wires

pipe 5/8 and 3/8 Hard drawn copper

first fix pipework already in place, although they terminated a bit too far away from cassette locations most have to be extended approx 600mm to 2.5m. 2-3 bends per run.

Swage one end of pipework and flare the other end

Connect swaged end to already installed pipework and braze joint

tighten flare connections to cassette

Working off stepladder , not platform

Many thank yous if you can help..

David

install monkey
16-09-2011, 11:38 PM
if the cassettes are fitted in the grid then 14hrs to do all 10 once youve got ur gear/pipe in the area
(not blowing me own trumpet)
why wasnt the pipework long enough in the 1st place

simon@parker
16-09-2011, 11:41 PM
if installing from scratch no holes cut nothing in place 3 days per unit as yr doing it with pipe in 2 max personally if you havent installed units before go back to the 3 as you will find somat that dont fit right or work and commisioning can take a while if things is a pain :) lol

monkey spanners
16-09-2011, 11:54 PM
Think i'd allow 1.5/2 hours each, though it would depend on what level they want you to work to, things like nitrogen while brazing would take longer to set up.

I find often that people want things priced and timed like its thrown in but installed by the book and you have to find a level somewhere between.

simon@parker
16-09-2011, 11:55 PM
if the cassettes are fitted in the grid then 14hrs to do all 10 once youve got ur gear/pipe in the area
(not blowing me own trumpet)
why wasnt the pipework long enough in the 1st place
14hrs jeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzz ya doin ya self out of overtime :) lol 10 units if it was just to make final conections you need a day or 2 to finish pipes off and a day to put them all under pressure then a day to vac them all and maybe a day to commission and do all paperwork and chat up office dollies lol :)

install monkey
16-09-2011, 11:57 PM
monkeys make the best installers-swinging from ladders and grunting!!!:off topic:

simon@parker
17-09-2011, 12:01 AM
Think i'd allow 1.5/2 hours each, though it would depend on what level they want you to work to, things like nitrogen while brazing would take longer to set up.

I find often that people want things priced and timed like its thrown in but installed by the book and you have to find a level somewhere between.
buy the book would be a long time lol did 10 splits before christmas wall mounts nothing in place isolators were fitted by sparks 20 days i was given did them in 18 but had holes cut 65mm by third party as it was reinforced concret rsj to drill through took guy 10 days to cut them all think we did good all running when we left job :)
oh and no overtime at all 18 standard days with overtime could have done it in 10 maybe :)

install monkey
17-09-2011, 12:03 AM
10 spits-not splits! haha

buy the book would be a long time lol did 10 spits before christmas wall mounts nothing in place isolators were fitted by sparks 20 days i was given did them in 18 but had holes cut 65mm by third party as it was reinforced concret rsj to drill through took guy 10 days to cut them all think we did good all running when we left job :)

simon@parker
17-09-2011, 12:06 AM
10 spits-not splits! haha
am half way down bottle of jack so think i spelling quite well :P lol hahahahahahahahaahaha changed it :P

install monkey
17-09-2011, 12:09 AM
is that a spin off of 1 man and glass-not going there haha:off topic:

simon@parker
17-09-2011, 12:20 AM
is that a spin off of 1 man and glass-not going there haha:off topic:
errrrrrrrrrrrrrrr no have heard bout that and no way ever :P that would be jack daniels fine whisky the good stuf but am home with a laptop filling this thread and the only glass involved is full of JD and coke :) off topic lol

al
17-09-2011, 12:37 AM
Right back from my refreshments, DavidF1, before i quote are you installer or customer?

al

chillerman2006
17-09-2011, 12:58 AM
Right back from my refreshments, DavidF1, before i quote are you installer or customer?

al

Morning Al

hope you enjoyed your refreshments & will be interesting for me and the original poster, what your times would be, mine would be the longest somewhere past simons but (takes me half a day to get in rythem with lamp thats only used a few times a year) 'Install's 14hrs sounds like bogit & scarper to me (sorry install) surely it can not be done in that time properly, but he does use his lad so are you quoting one set or two sets of hands here

@simon JD one of my favourites

R's chillerman

al
17-09-2011, 02:52 PM
Afternoon CM, i'd normally allow a day and a half per unit, man and mate, some slower, some faster, anyone looking for an install today after this mornings rugby would be waiting til Tuesday to see an indoor hung!!

al

install monkey
17-09-2011, 06:21 PM
the reason i can pipe like a maniac is because i flare first time everytime!!!! also mini me slows me down because i throw small weighty objects at him when his bird is texting-usually 10x30 cone pointss as they are pointed,and u can carry a few in ur pocket!

DavidF1
17-09-2011, 11:37 PM
Well thanks for all the replies...
The 1st fix pipework was installed by others and for various reasons the cassettes ended up in slightly different places compared with what was planned.
I’m an Installer, not a customer... Or rather an installer assisting an installer who thinks I too slow.
I piped up 8 units in 14 hours (average 1.75h each) and apparently they can be done in 30 mins each!!!!!!!
Needless to say it was reassuring to see some of the replies, especially the one that said 1.5-2h per unit.
Right pain in the bum trying to fit with grid in place, even where there was enough pipe length left behind, because of all the ‘horizontal’ obstacles and it being hard drawn copper it is not possible to insert bends in situ.

al
18-09-2011, 11:48 AM
Fair going David, funny how it can always be done quicker by the guy paying the bill!!

al

still learning
18-09-2011, 03:48 PM
iwondered why you were using hard drawn , soft drawn would be better to use ? as could be bent in situ thru grid with hydralic benders .
i too love it when the guy paying tells me how long it will take .
and the time to purge as well.
some forget they are paying for a engineer , not just some bloke , a engineer who has trained and learnt to do this work to a good standard , and the units will give good service for years to come .
good work is not cheap and cheap work is not good imho.

al
18-09-2011, 05:05 PM
"good work is not cheap and cheap work is not good imho.2

Damn right!

al

chillerman2006
18-09-2011, 08:58 PM
Well thanks for all the replies...
The 1st fix pipework was installed by others and for various reasons the cassettes ended up in slightly different places compared with what was planned.
I’m an Installer, not a customer... Or rather an installer assisting an installer who thinks I too slow.
I piped up 8 units in 14 hours (average 1.75h each) and apparently they can be done in 30 mins each!!!!!!!
Needless to say it was reassuring to see some of the replies, especially the one that said 1.5-2h per unit.
Right pain in the bum trying to fit with grid in place, even where there was enough pipe length left behind, because of all the ‘horizontal’ obstacles and it being hard drawn copper it is not possible to insert bends in situ.

Sounds like hard work mate, especially as all above head, i like to connect units up and work backwards to condensor, but not done one for nearly 20 years and that was all rolled soft copper, would not fancy doing it all in tube, slit the wrists time

R's chillerman

Steven_AC
27-09-2011, 07:45 PM
Going a bit off topic but I'm an installer who has 5 years experience in my first year i was told to never flare hard drawn pipe as its more prone to leaks.

Agree? Disagree?

al
27-09-2011, 08:10 PM
never had an issue with it, was always told to heat it first.

al