PDA

View Full Version : Can R22 be used in a Domestic Fridge

adrian88
13-09-2011, 06:43 AM
Hi,
Just after some advice, i am restoring a 1950's fridge that was on R12, i have had to retrofit a new compressor as the old pancake was dead, I only have access to R22 at the moment and was wondering if i charged to the frost line on the evap if it would still run ok? i realise that i will have a very high back pressure compared to 134a but i am just dieing to test the new compressor out.
I realise that domestic fridges don't use R22 but i just can't see why not? the compressor is rated for R22 and i can't see any pipework issues with around 100kpa on r22 apposed to 40kpa on 134. will i have head pressure issues or a heat removal issue with the higher head pressure associated with r22 and the condenser only being sized for r12?
any help would be great

mikeref
13-09-2011, 09:41 AM
Hi there Adrian, you have already answered your question regarding high pressures. what comes to mind is, why is a low back pressure compressor been replaced with a high back pressure compressor? So, with this compressor in place, you now have the heat removal problem to deal with, as in extra condenser capacity, then there is the capillary to consider as well as the thermostat cycling the compressor too quickly. R22 will cause higher evaporator pressures which will stress the old fridge pipes..mike.

adrian88
13-09-2011, 09:53 AM
Thanks for that mate, its actually a low bp compressor that can be used for R22. but i see what your saying about the capillary and thermostat as its all designed for R12, might just hold off leave it under pressure with nitro until i get my hands on some 134 or sp34, then play with the capillary if i have any dramas

mikeref
13-09-2011, 11:01 AM
Thanks for that mate, its actually a low bp compressor that can be used for R22. but i see what your saying about the capillary and thermostat as its all designed for R12, might just hold off leave it under pressure with nitro until i get my hands on some 134 or sp34, then play with the capillary if i have any dramas
Hi Adrian, problem there is R134a will cause further dramas as that fridge was never designed for R134a or SP34e. For a fridge of that age, i would choose R409a, as this refrigerant has less "scrubbing" effect on the evaporator. This means.. R134a tends to eat away at the insides of the old evaporator tubes, which makes them likely to leak.I would hate to see an old,... and reliable icon, fall to the wayside from modern refrigerants. BTW, where are you located on this island :)?..Mike.

chillerman2006
13-09-2011, 11:24 AM
Hi Adrian/MikeRef

Isceon 49 will be ok on a fridge, not much good in a freezer as oil does not flow very well once below zero

Used to use this alot years ago...works fine in car a/c as well

R's chillerman

adrian88
14-09-2011, 10:25 AM
Thanks for the replies I'm in Brisbane, yeah I heard 409a would be a good alternative however getting some is the issue for me lol, I got my hands on some 134a and have a very nice head pressure between 10 and 15k above ambient, however the compressor is getting rather hot, I think it may be because I had the poor thing running for a while when charging because I was a little worried about overcharging. She seems to be running fine now tho,

adrian88
15-09-2011, 09:11 AM
just fitted a digital thermostat and she is running like a dream!, going to install it behind the bottom kick panel that will be hinged for access to the suction line and thermostat. time for a lot of sanding and lots of attention to detail with the paint, will post progress photos on my page soon

mikeref
15-09-2011, 11:16 AM
I hope that it continues to work well for you..Mike.