PDA

View Full Version : Not Cooling

globalwave
09-09-2011, 02:54 PM
Hi huys

One of my client has bought a used Display chiller from his brother, when bought it was working fine. they transported it in a van from a distance of 60 miles. Next day he turned it on, every thing works, but no cooling. i checked the gas is there and there no leak.

what could be the problem?

chillerman2006
09-09-2011, 02:59 PM
Hi Globalwave

How did you check the gas is there ?

Was display cabinet laid down ?

Can you give us any running pressures & temperatures (tubework) ?

Bit more info mate & we can try to work out what is up

R's chillerman

globalwave
09-09-2011, 03:10 PM
hi

thanks for replying

they did lay it down, according to him not more the 45 deree. Refrigerant is R404, suction pressure 12 psi, high pressure 85, return gas temp 20c.

chillerman2006
09-09-2011, 03:18 PM
Hi

If refrigerant charge is still all there, I would be thinking that laying it down has allowed the oil to leave the compressor & ended up in the evap,

Your going to have to let that stand for a day & then try it again

Also have a look at the way its piped and see if leaning at a certain angle will help any oil in the evap drain back into the suction line

R's chillerman

simon@parker
09-09-2011, 03:20 PM
from the pressures alone i would have said you have a gas loss so you have a leak on it somewhere sorry CM stole yr thunder ;) lol

globalwave
09-09-2011, 03:30 PM
hi

turned it off for 24 hours twice, tomorrow shall try to lean it as you suggested and shall let you know the outcome, should it be left in leaning position for a minimum time period?

globalwave
09-09-2011, 03:33 PM
simon@parker

thanks for your reply,

what pressure should i be looking for if a leak is found and system recharged?

simon@parker
09-09-2011, 03:41 PM
simon@parker

thanks for your reply,

what pressure should i be looking for if a leak is found and system recharged?
sorry but if yr a fridge man with all the right gear you should have a very good idea about system pressures and since you UK based you come under F Gas regulations in short if you dont know exactly what you are doing call a professional in to sort the prob and if you have 404a and are not F Gas you shouldnt be using it sorry but a gifted amature i would be happy to help with correct qualifications you my friend wil either hurt yr self or release gas to atmosphere sorry cant help you any more

chillerman2006
09-09-2011, 03:43 PM
from the pressures alone i would have said you have a gas loss so you have a leak on it somewhere sorry CM stole yr thunder ;) lol

Haha...you can have it mate, I have enough thunder bolts in the rear to deal with :D

(my first question was <How did you check the gas is there ?> ) just remember you can not generate head without suck

R's chillerman

globalwave
09-09-2011, 03:48 PM
simon@parker

to be honest i can not call myself a fridge man, been working as airconditioning engineer mostly on packaged chillers, but not in uk and that was 20 years ago, then again for short period about 5 years ago. got my C&G 2079 from north west college in london last years so i am qualified in to handle the gases. Right now getting usd to with fridges.

globalwave
09-09-2011, 03:54 PM
Chillerman

i think i already answerd your quistion regrading how did i checked the gas is there, My reply was "hi

thanks for replying

they did lay it down, according to him not more the 45 deree. Refrigerant is R404, suction pressure 12 psi, high pressure 85, return gas temp 20c"

simon@parker
09-09-2011, 06:15 PM
simon@parker

to be honest i can not call myself a fridge man, been working as airconditioning engineer mostly on packaged chillers, but not in uk and that was 20 years ago, then again for short period about 5 years ago. got my C&G 2079 from north west college in london last years so i am qualified in to handle the gases. Right now getting usd to with fridges.
ok well i suggest you get yr comparitor out and see wot pressure 404a is at 0deg C thats around what yr suction should be then measure air on to condenser add 10deg C to that comparitor again that should be yr discharge a fridge is a fridge they all get cold they all get hot in about the same place :) i think thats my new signature when i gonna change it by all means let unit stand but i believe you have a leak or a blockage the only real way you can tell is to weigh gas out check plate charge if it correct you have blockage best of luck with that :) have always found integral chillers a pai in ass but easier to work on than AC or water chillers :) lol

globalwave
14-09-2011, 09:05 PM
Simon@parker

many thanks for your help, reminding me my comparitor not only solved the problem at hand but also brought back so many things i had forgotten in passeage of time. Still think working with air con chiller plants it be a air cooled water cooled or centrifugal is much easy than working on a fridges & freezers, even VRV are not bad. many thanks again.

Royal241
18-09-2011, 11:18 PM
never transport more than 59 miles, gets home sick :)

globalwave
20-09-2011, 02:12 PM
thats what exactley i said to my client, he thought i was kidding

sweimaker
21-09-2011, 08:34 PM
take gas out weigh it. eliminatte at a time

12psi on a small fridge on r404 suction does seem ok, but lack of duty is worrying, remeber r404 is a blend (a b*stard gas) it ll leak whenever it feels needed lol)