PDA

View Full Version : leak repair additive

cadwaladr
03-09-2011, 11:54 PM
some of the spares/wholesalers sell an additive that you introduce into a system to seal? leaks,different sizes for different sizes of systems question is do they work has anybody had any success.

install monkey
04-09-2011, 12:37 AM
i had some for a fujitsu 12kw system that had a leak on the bottom 1/2 condenser as the copper passes through the steel end plate,it reduced the leakage rate but didnt cure it.acr do it about £20 a can

Andy AC
04-09-2011, 01:23 PM
I've had a few good results on counter/deli fridges, but usually it just buys you a couple of months.

Andy

charlie patt
04-09-2011, 07:49 PM
low side not to bad quite a high pass rate on high side its a waste of money, if it has a orifice to it will block it up and if system has a high moisture in it dont bother it will block up solid

paul_h
04-09-2011, 08:05 PM
Yeah, block small leaks in a refrigeration system that uses tiny orifices/valves/capillaries to flow refrigerant. Brilliant idea!
Doesn't work well on car radiators without fouling things up, would work worse on refrig or a/c with smaller restrictions, higher pressures etc.
I'm not just harsh on non trade people, using this type of thing means you can't do your job right.
Eve with a rotten corroded condenser where the owner didn't want to pay for replacement, I'd be cutting back steel and brazing instead of using a 'stop leak' like some dumb arsed mechanic with his 'pumping station' and dye that expected yearly 'top ups' for car a/cs from all his customers

Latte
05-09-2011, 09:30 PM
seen it a lot recently and causes more problems than it cures. as Andy posted it may buy you a couple of months but thats it, also if you use it on a fridge with hot gas defrost it will block it up. Personally wont use it unless its a LAST resort na di mean LAST!!!!

taz24
06-09-2011, 08:47 AM

Does it come in a new system straight from the manufacturer????

If not don't put it in..

Only refrigerant should be in a fridge circuit, we tolerate oil but if we could we would
not even allow oil inside a fridge circuit.

If it did not come with the thing, leave it out.

taz

cadwaladr
06-09-2011, 07:37 PM
thanks guys,i was just seeing what other people thought i would not use it myself but i see other guys buying it,the stuff i work on is not shop stuff its bigger and i agree if the maker does not fit it do not use it.

install monkey
06-09-2011, 10:00 PM
if u have a leak and a sniffer cannor find it-if the customer wont allow u to shut the system down then spectroline glo sticks-unless its maneurope white oil,may help,but for a can of crap that doesnt work only use it if u hate the client!!!

thanks guys,i was just seeing what other people thought i would not use it myself but i see other guys buying it,the stuff i work on is not shop stuff its bigger and i agree if the maker does not fit it do not use it.

gammon
14-09-2011, 12:48 PM
I have been told that SUPER SEAL (sounds to good be true) is quite good with recommendations from friends in the industry and wholesalers.

Install Monkey/ Latte/ Taz 24 have you used it?

Im just curious of what you know about the system sealant.

Cheers

Gammon

simon@parker
14-09-2011, 05:32 PM
have come across a couple of foster units with it in it ruins them just condemned a pod yesterday after reclaiming full charge blowing through with nitrogen and doin triple evac on it cappillary blocked in 5min flat had a 2 torr vac its crap last resort if its gonna cost thousands use it if its not find ya leak :) lol

Latte
14-09-2011, 06:36 PM
NoI Havnt used it but have gone behind another contractor who has. They seem to use it all the time on Williams undercounter fridges which have leaking evaps due to the customer putting sauces in it which rot the evap, neadless to say it lasts a month then we go back in and change the evap. Also had a few instances where it will block cap tubes and on hot gas systems it clogs the whole lot. So the short answer Gammon is NO and Never intend soing so

gammon
15-09-2011, 07:36 PM
Thanks for the response guys. Do any of you know why its causing blockages?

simon@parker
15-09-2011, 07:48 PM
on smaller systems would guess it down to oil compatability general running temp using a cappillary on system and being so small a very little of anything goes a long way and its designed is to fill small holes so it will fill a cappillary very easily

Toolman
04-10-2011, 11:21 PM
If you watch the video [URL="http://www.cliplight.com/hvacr/"] it explains how it works by reacting with moisture , yes if you have a crappy system that has moisture in it there will be nasty blockages inside at the capillary anywhere really . But I have had a good result the few times I have used it in a clean dry system . Sure the ideal thing is to REPLACE the leaking item but this is a patch up that I will use if thats not possible . Some of the crap ( tiny benchtop displays ) thats made today and imported you could never replace the coil so bog it up .

daveo222
07-11-2011, 03:25 AM
I have been told that SUPER SEAL (sounds to good be true) is quite good with recommendations from friends in the industry and wholesalers.

Install Monkey/ Latte/ Taz 24 have you used it?

Im just curious of what you know about the system sealant.

Cheers

Gammon

I have used the super seal about 3 months ago on a TECO SPLIT SYSTEM AC which had such a small leak i could not find it.

I havent been called back yet, so I would use it again if i had to

texas64
07-11-2011, 03:44 AM
I totally agree with taz! If it was meant to be there then it would have already been in the system. Leaks can be found. But some engineers like paul_h has mentioned don't want to spend the time searching and would rather make the easy money "topping off", or it could be a client who doesn't want to spend the money on a new system even when their's is way past life expectancy. How can a product that is made for filling leaks not stop up a capillary tube?

hyperion
07-11-2011, 09:14 AM
I have heard that if the "sealant" is still floating around in the system that it can potentially cause damage to your reclaim pump next time you need to do a repair. Not had any first hand experience. It is being used by some car mechanics and is known to block up orifice restrictor tubes.

paul_h
07-11-2011, 11:56 AM
I have used the super seal about 3 months ago on a TECO SPLIT SYSTEM AC which had such a small leak i could not find it.

I havent been called back yet, so I would use it again if i had to Well if it's such a small leak, then 3 months is nothing. I normally look harder, and seriously you are talking about a cheap chinese teco system, if you can't find the leak, condemn it. They are cheap systems after all, better to condemn if you can't find the leak rather that i) persist with a leaking unit ii) rely on such product and maybe waste time and gas on call backs. Let alone later blockage or compressor problems that may be blamed on you.
Splits do not have driers at all, I wouldn't use this stuff on them.

Got to look after your business rep and own time and money, rather than the customers wallet sometimes...
If they refuse your quote to replace or repair properly, no longer your problem.

daveo222
08-11-2011, 10:01 AM
Paul this system was an old r22 teco and also had old r22 pipe work which ran through the walls of a building. So unfortunately it was my only option.

And it worked.