PDA

View Full Version : High Amps/Exhaust hood motor

Royal241
28-08-2011, 01:35 AM
Hi there, someone replaced an exhaust hood motor, belt driven and it trips on the protector. I looked at the original motor and is a match. 115V, 2 speeds, 12amp on high speed. New motor pulls 14A, five minutes into it stops, I hear the click after 3 minutes and starts again. The previous mechanic installed a shorter belt A26, I replaced it with A27 (original size), amperage dropped, but the speed decreased. Customer says it was working faster before. What am I missing? The wheel is clean (regular cleaning). I might oversize the motor and be done with it, but what am I missing?

savoc
28-08-2011, 11:31 PM
what is the current draw of the motor rated at?. sounds like the motor is overloaded. same pulley size? same RPM? I did not think a tight belt will increase current draw only kill the bearings. Is the motor tripping a internal overload or a contactor overload. How is the motor started? Capacitors or direct online. I think you shoud measure the fan / all the pulleys and contact a fan blade company ask the to spec up the correct size motor

install monkey
29-08-2011, 12:22 AM
fan umpellor bearing or restricted airlow? confirm extraction airflow rates against comissioning sheets,with fan failure the internals will get hot unless there is a gas interlock to stop ovens otherwise the hood can reach high temps,dirty filters? soak in caustic acid overnight

a/c.king
29-08-2011, 12:09 PM
Dear Royal

This type of Exhaust fan will have specific belt and belt tension to go withit. so it can work properly.

If you installed back the proper belt then you have solved the problem. Ifthe client things it was faster

I thing he is not right, he is only talking probably about speed fan beforeyou replacing belt A26.

Any way acceptable velocity for rang hood is 6 to 10 m/s from your shoulders.so if you facing the rang hood and you have anemometer and you measure air velocityat you shoulder highs it should read 6 to 10m/s that will meet all standard requirements.

Regards

a/c king

Royal241
30-08-2011, 03:02 AM
thanks for all the suggestions. I bumped up a notch the motor, higher HP, amps in the range, it seems good. my guess is that someone sold a cheaper motor, or maybe that's what they had in the truck. this is an older hood with no labels, tags, ... thanks again, stay cool :)