PDA

View Full Version : Work practice ideas

cragrat
18-08-2011, 07:42 PM
Has anyone out there come up with any ideas that have made your life easier or more productive while at work? I know it’s a weird thread but hey, at least it’s different(as far as I know).

Cheers Alex

install monkey
18-08-2011, 07:59 PM
the best idea is put a new sim card in ur moby-then the muppets in the office cant nag and tell u how long it should take to do a pot change!=but u can still ring technical helplines and chatlines etc haha

simon@parker
18-08-2011, 08:02 PM
an apprentice :) oh and a helicopter or jump jet for when yr trying to catch up lol :)
seriously get the right tool for the job dont try doing anything with the wrong piece of kit it usually ends up taking loads longer personally i got me some 450mm screwdrivers non electrical they come in dam handy

install monkey
18-08-2011, 08:06 PM
u could stab ur apprentice when the lil get, is asleep in ur van after 5 mins of driving!!!

simon@parker
18-08-2011, 08:11 PM
connecting the megga to them is soooooooooooooooo much funnier :) lol

install monkey
18-08-2011, 08:15 PM
our apprentice is me lad! i cant taunt him too much-he tells the mrs and she gives me earache! but i can get away with locking him ahu's and spraying him in belt spray!!

simon@parker
18-08-2011, 08:17 PM
ever charged a capacitor and dropped it in his pocket ? its pretty funny :)

install monkey
18-08-2011, 08:24 PM
when he was about 7 i dismantled one of them disposable cameras with the built in flash. charged the flash and i got a tingle'dared him to touch it(the flash) and he burst into tears,i nearly killed him haha

simon@parker
18-08-2011, 08:32 PM
thats child abuse but now he is older its relationship building lmao :)

install monkey
18-08-2011, 08:53 PM
dont need to taunt him. we did a job in ellesmere port replacing 120mtr of steel pipe , we went for a butty and coffee, sat in the communal eating area that had around 200 chairs all wooden-school type.
lil get sat there having toast .
its only after 20mins when he gets up notices hes been sat in biddy piss!!!!!!!!!!!!hahaaaha

chillerman2006
18-08-2011, 09:11 PM
ever charged a capacitor and dropped it in his pocket ? its pretty funny :)

when he was about 7 i dismantled one of them disposable cameras with the built in flash. charged the flash and i got a tingle'dared him to touch it(the flash) and he burst into tears,i nearly killed him haha

dont need to taunt him. we did a job in ellesmere port replacing 120mtr of steel pipe , we went for a butty and coffee, sat in the communal eating area that had around 200 chairs all wooden-school type.
lil get sat there having toast .
its only after 20mins when he gets up notices hes been sat in biddy piss!!!!!!!!!!!!hahaaaha

You two have me in stitches :D

I am having early night before I'm sitting in pee from laughter

install monkey
18-08-2011, 09:19 PM
thats what me lad did,u dont mind as much if its ur own! but someone elses ! he stunk of wee and sugarpuffs all day!! he takes after his mother!haha

Tesla
19-08-2011, 10:01 AM
Hi Cragrat and welcome to our forum
Apart from the apprentice pranks - get left hand screw driver, go and ask for a long weight, get 10 amps, get pissed and cut hair badly, tie up and hoist up, get to touch charged capacitor. I use a laptop with embedded sim to get internet, bms connection, equipment manuals, floor plans etc. On the fridge side - superheat calculation kit, 200cc oil injector, vacuum manifold, vac stat, electronic scales, 2X electronic leak detectors, turbo set mini oxy mapp gas set. Also an iphone4 for photos, internet, private phone and navigation. Most of the expensive stuff should be supplied by the company and shared, but when you need it is usually now and it ain't always available. There's nothing like accurate measurements for good diagnosis.

Tayters
19-08-2011, 06:23 PM
I got a Testo surface temperature probe. Cost me about £80 but beats the cheap thermocouple from NRS which plugs into a seperate themometer.
I bought it mainly because I doubted the accuracy of the old one also one soldered joint on the thermocouple had broken so you had to wedge it in the right place to get it to read. This was an all in one jobbie on a little stick
Turns out when compared the both read the same. Typical eh?

Quick release couplers also recommended.

Cheers,
Andy.

Tayters
19-08-2011, 06:26 PM
As Tesla syas, also a laptop for all the info.
I add odds and ends to it as I come across new systems (no mobile internet acess on it).
Dead handy for all those refrigeration controllers settings as well as AC fault codes/checking procedures.

chillerman2006
19-08-2011, 06:30 PM
I got a Testo surface temperature probe.

Cost me about £80

I bought it mainly because I doubted the accuracy of the old one also one soldered joint on the thermocouple had broken

Turns out when compared the both read the same. Typical eh?

Quick release couplers also recommended.

Cheers,
Andy.

Hmm! might grab me self one of those !

Them soldered ends! Always going, right pain as it's alway when you need it :eek:

R's chillerman

james10
19-08-2011, 09:09 PM
This may sound a bit geeky but i keep i diary of all my sites which includes addreses,phone numbers fault history, equipment details and repairs outstanding and repairs carried out, if ive been off i ask the other lads if they have been called to any of my sites, if so i get the info off them, it can make life so much easier when you get a call out and get there to find out someone faulted the thing ages ago and its waitning for parts.
but the best thing i have in my van is my ipad it has manuals, wiring diagrams, music, books, games all i could need for a summers day on a roof:D

cragrat
21-08-2011, 09:30 PM
Thanx for the replys guys, even the daft ones, got to have a laugh now and again :-)

install monkey
21-08-2011, 09:37 PM
its nice to get feedback from the original poster! normally its-i want a manual and passwords then no thanks,kiss my a**e or anything-ungreatfull f*****s

simon@parker
21-08-2011, 10:01 PM
schrader core replacement tool its great you can replace a core while the system running amazing tool come in handy loads of times not cheap but handy :)

install monkey
21-08-2011, 10:29 PM
schrader core replacement tool its great you can replace a core while the system running amazing tool come in handy loads of times not cheap but handy :)

unless its them javac ones-the body poped off the shell with 16bar of r407c behind it! lost about 6kg of gas burnt me fingers and sprayed oil onto the pcb above,luckily no real damage done.returned them to climate ctr under warranty and javac said they were over tightened-boll***s im 12st and built for speed-i only put them on finger tight-they come in a lil clear box with the lever valve on the side,the c&p ones were bomb proof.not seen the robinair ones for a while

simon@parker
21-08-2011, 10:44 PM
i got a couple :) lol and i 17st not managed to bust owt like that yet ya want using yr hammer to tighten was ya lmao :)

install monkey
21-08-2011, 10:49 PM
i got a couple :) lol and i 17st not managed to bust owt like that yet ya want using yr hammer to tighten was ya lmao :)
i must have mong strength!!!:D

simon@parker
21-08-2011, 11:01 PM
mong ? eh well i used to roll D6 on there side an do oil float swap on my own as everyone else would stand around watchin or bugger off to bog as they might have to do somat have even carried maneurop 120 down stairs on my own as twat i was with was on phone all time i disconnected it an got it ready for lift out and i used to carry BKs upstairs on my own cos at 4am no one gonna come help or answer there phones so i aint light with my touch lmao :)

install monkey
21-08-2011, 11:10 PM
mong ? eh well i used to roll D6 on there side an do oil float swap on my own as everyone else would stand around watchin or bugger off to bog as they might have to do somat have even carried maneurop 120 down stairs on my own as twat i was with was on phone all time i disconnected it an got it ready for lift out and i used to carry BKs upstairs on my own cos at 4am no one gonna come help or answer there phones so i aint light with my touch lmao :)

yep them maneurope mt120's are a pain its like trying to drag a set of full knackers.ive hiked hitatchi ras8fs tandem pots accross plantrooms.i stripped a carrier 30hr chiller-one of the f*****s tried lifting an 06e 270 compressor off its bed,nearly lost his arm the thick f*****r and dropped it between the condenser shells.done mitsi 5kw condensers on shoulder up ladders,but with health and safety its getting a bit too safety concious

simon@parker
21-08-2011, 11:19 PM
should work for my company we aint allowed to use stanley knives in case we cut ourselves we have to find a new way of doing it cos some prat of an apprentice cut himself sharpening a pencil roflmfao :)

install monkey
21-08-2011, 11:25 PM
we do work on amec nuclear at birchwood-to pop a 600sq ceiling tile,you need to obtain your work permit, erect standard a frame steps after 5pm,cone off the work area,wear a hi vis vest-stating that your an amec approved sub contractor,wear a face fit dust mask,and have a copy of the test results,safety goggles-specs arent recommended as the wire that holds the t bar up protrudes about 2 inch from where its wrapped and could be a hazard. its a pain in the arse but its overtime

cool runings
22-08-2011, 12:04 AM
Has anyone out there come up with any ideas that have made your life easier or more productive while at work? I know it’s a weird thread but hey, at least it’s different(as far as I know).

Cheers Alex

The best advise I could give is do the job right first time.

Save no end of time and heart ache later on.

coolrunnings

cragrat
22-08-2011, 08:15 AM
Come on guys this is getting good, it’s like vent your spleen week file:///C:/Users/Harry/AppData/Local/Temp/wlmail-433777574/supfilesC2B82/wlEmoticon-smile[1].png

Hope this link works, I want to know who out there understands what this guy is on about?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac7G7xOG2Ag&feature=related

simon@parker
22-08-2011, 01:25 PM
yellow jacket make a great schrader removal tool looked in me box 2 day oh and get a big analog vacume gauge the digital ones are crap used both on a job once and the digital one didnt move analog one went up to 30torr from 2 torr

cragrat
23-08-2011, 08:55 PM
Your welcome Install Monkey

SeanB
27-08-2011, 02:13 PM
I did buy the IR thermometer, and used it within 30 mins of buying it ( it looked nice there, and was cheap, with a backlight and laser sight). Pointed it up at night and see the clear sky is -23C, and if it is overcast the clouds are 18C or so.