PDA

View Full Version : shower switch fault !

Krups
12-10-2005, 09:28 AM
sorry didnt knw wher to post this, but as its an electrical issue....

i opened the shower switch up as it jammed in the off position and had a funny fishy smell(cue funny comments....) coming from it....and found it 2 b melted,along with both neutrals

1 of the neutrals popped out very easily....
also the 1 of the live wires has a black burn strip running down it....
but the other live wire is ok...

my question is this....
could the melting of the wiring be caused by the switch heating up n melting, due to the loose connection, in turn leading to the melting of the wiring ?

its 2.5 mm twin and earth...so i would have thought its sufficient enough rite ?

any ideas ? as this is the second time this switch has burned out and im looking for a permanent fix

cheers

Abe
12-10-2005, 09:38 AM
2.5MMM ?????

Youre joking Krupps
Is it a 8KW shower?
I think you need to use ,
Im not sure if its 6mm or 10mm
Ill check

chemi-cool
12-10-2005, 12:15 PM
I have done a whole house electrics in Scotland,
Used a 10mm wires for the shower water heater.

No problems for the past 6 years.

I agree with Marc, there is nothing like a loose connection for a little fire in the house.

When in doubt about the wires mm, go one or to higher.

Chemi:)

Krups
12-10-2005, 03:31 PM
sorry meant 6 mm lol not 2.5mm i was thinking about something else at same time as writing this.....
its a 10.5kw electrical shower...
think iv sorted it now neways....

gonna run a fresh 10mm cable in and new switch

slingblade
12-10-2005, 05:05 PM
10.5 kw is fairly large for a shower. is the switch a proper rated double pole isolator or the ceiling mounted pull cord type as it may not be rated high enough {10500w/240v = 43.75a} for full load.

frank
12-10-2005, 08:06 PM
it may not be rated high enough {10500w/240v = 43.75a} for full load.
Hi Slingblade

It is now required to calculate everything in the UK as either 230v or 400v so your calculated running current (for cable sizing purposes) should be 10500w/230v = 45.65A. Cable sizing should then be calculated on the instalation method in accordance with BS7671

slingblade
13-10-2005, 12:41 PM
Hi Slingblade

It is now required to calculate everything in the UK as either 230v or 400v so your calculated running current (for cable sizing purposes) should be 10500w/230v = 45.65A. Cable sizing should then be calculated on the instalation method in accordance with BS7671

k, lets try a little experiment. take 1 avo/multimeter {whichever you prefer} and go and find a single phase supply {this can be found inside any domestic plug socket or distribution board}. set your avo to v~ and connect the black lead to the yellow and green cable and the red lead to the brown or red cable. now look at the scale and you'll have your golden number to use for rating any appliance connected to that supply. in my experience it usually is 240 in the uk. BS numbers are all very well and good but i tend to stick to what goes on in the real world. or you could try finding somthing that is rated to 10.5 kw and measure the current draw with an amprobe you may even find i am correct.;)

Krups
13-10-2005, 02:04 PM
its a 45amp double pole ceiling mounted pull cord type as far as i remember...but dont qoute me on that...

thanks for the info guys...

frank
13-10-2005, 08:36 PM
Obviously you guys are not upto date with current regs :)

slingblade
14-10-2005, 04:18 PM
its a 45amp double pole ceiling mounted pull cord type as far as i remember...but dont qoute me on that...

thanks for the info guys...

then a connection somewhere is loose. maybe in the switch or possibly in the shower. might even be in the dis board. loose connection= higher current draw= toast!:D

sparking24-7
19-10-2005, 09:10 PM
The length of run is also an issue , the longer the run the higher the resistance the bigger the cable needed.Sounds like a loose connection to me, also in respect of the switch you get what you pay for so it is normally senisible to buy a decent make a first, something like crabtree or mk
Steve