PDA

View Full Version : HVAC position Pleeease Help

terrie73
11-10-2005, 09:47 PM
ive been offered a role to join a company who specilize in hvac service and maintenance

what do u guys think ? the role ( after probation ) will allow me to get ACS qualified

i'm currently in my 7th year at college after completing level 2/3 in a/c & fridge

im studying electrical installation level 3 as c&g have reconstructed old part 1 and 2 course

i intend to (hope to if i dont get worn down with it all) gain hnc's in these both subject eventually

but do I need to fill my head with more (****e) gas which could take more years and then what ? Pay is a little better but ive come to enjoy the breather in the winter who wants to run round like crazy all year round?
for an extra couple of grand

I noticed most of our cousins in usa do both and why is it not promotted here as much?

please could anyone give me some positive feedback

cheers guys

Karl Hofmann
12-10-2005, 12:09 AM
You can do your ACS (Training and exam) in a week and is a very handy to have. I try to do a little course every year, last year was basic electronics, year before that was 16th edition, before that was my ACS, this year is electrical inspection and testing, next year I fancy flower aranging, the point is every bit of paper that you collect gives you Yesabillity and an advantage over the next man looking for the same job.

terrie73
12-10-2005, 01:42 PM
Cheers karl which one do u recommend as ive been looking at acs courses what would be the main ones ill need to do

or should i say which ones have u done

yeah i agree as we are starting to see a new generation of a/c systems coming out (GHP)

but i dont want to end up ponsing about with domestic boilers u know which ones aplly to us

with this new registration scheme they keep talking about do u think they will have some form of acs for us aswell

(silly question of course they will anything to rip us off and generate more revenue)

phil
12-10-2005, 06:43 PM
do yourself a favour get it all as quick as you can i have spent quite a few years firm hoping trying to get it all together now at forty plus something still have not all the acs sorted out.

it is harder to remember the correct procedure for cutting flowers to the righr angle to stop them leeking.

seriously just do it and once its done its done !!!!!!!!!11

traffic wardens were once real people

Karl Hofmann
12-10-2005, 08:02 PM
Terrie,

It depends on what you aim to work on in gas. My core is in Natural Gas, and have the standard three modules of Wet central heating, gas fires and cookers, might upgrade to LPG if the demand is there.

You may find that dry air heaters may be of more use to you, dont forget that once you have your ACS, then you must then either be registered with your company who must be CORGI registered or must yourself be CORGI registered (More£££) Fees are paid annualy, you must pay to issue an installation certificate and you will have to renew your ACS every 5 years

terrie73
13-10-2005, 09:14 AM
nice one getting worried there as my mates dad is a gas lecturer at an east london college and both his sons are gas engineers i thought i might have to do the lot, i'm not interested in the domestic side

my mates working for british gas and the courses he has done ie 1 to 16 acops etc

im only interested in covering the core and relevant ones that would allow me to work on the likes of gas fired a/c like lennox packaged units etc and the new type of heat pump GHP sanyo VRFwhich run on natural gas or LPG + various other modules that cover our end of the market

im a strong believer of sticking to your own profession

example:

i would rather pay a painter & decorator to a job indoors for me and i'll go out and do some overtime to pay for it

than take time off work and get the hump with it when the wallpaper won't hang or line up on the wall

don't get me wrong we all have to have a go at most things but sometimes its not worth the time and effort to do it all yourself.

as much as plumbing ,gas ,electrics,heating & ventilation, a/c & fridge are related in some form or another who wants to go to college for 15 years or more getting qualified then its time to retire or you end up in management what a waste

school was bad enough another 10 years at college for me seems crazy and for what its not going to earn me a lot of more monies ( unless I start up shop)

terrie73
13-10-2005, 06:07 PM
sweet just landed new job

most of the work is in and aroung canary wharf so i could fall out of bed at 10 to 8 and still be there for 8 nice on

28k basic and all the trimmings + loads of OT

its about time i secured sweet job havent had a decent holiday in the past few years trying to work my way up the food chain