PDA

View Full Version : Ammonia help needed

kev12
11-08-2011, 10:38 PM
Hi guys, been on here for years but never really had anything to ask or add but love the site. ok so im 24 and a qualified refrigeration engineer but have only ever worked with ***** gases. i was out of work so i completed first year of a three year course studying building services in collage but i have been doing work experience for the summer with a company who does major ammonia installations. i have been offered full time work with this company, and this is great because a degree here dosnt mean a job, not by any means. so im looking for information on ammonia systems, how they work, system components, circuit diagrams, compressor pipework diagrams, oil circuits...ect. thanks v much in advance

Magoo
12-08-2011, 05:01 AM
Hi
ammonia should not scare you off, the cycle is the same as any refrigeration cycle. Plus double check everything you do, safety equipment and the use and application is very important. Read and absorb all info on this forum site is the best advise. There are schematic diagrams for various applications.

mrfreezeit
12-08-2011, 03:25 PM
RETA has a self study and online course for ammonia refrigeration and industrial centralized systems that may help you with the components, operations, and the types of liquid feed systems systems. www.reta.com I suggest RETA Book 1 & 2 for starters. Book 1 first half will be boring to you as it is basics and how heat flows. The second half goes over the components; compressors, condensers, heat exchangers, purgers, etc. Book 2 goes into overfeeds, DX, secondary coolants, cascade systems, etc. RETA also has a conference in September that provides about 20-30 hours of training. Ammonia Safety Day, technical sessions, hands-on sessions, and exhibit hall with all the major equipment manufacturers.
Also as an engineer, the IIAR guidelines are an essential tool to stay up with the game and make sure you are giving the client a good product. Also OSHA has named them in a settlement and interpretation letter as teh recommended and generally accepted good engineering practice (RAGAGEP). IIAR.org They have a conference coming up in March 2012.

Welcome to Ammonia Refrigeration.

josei
12-08-2011, 11:50 PM
I wd help u with some articles and info about NH3 systems available in the cloud, if u contact me by PM option.

kev12
14-08-2011, 12:38 PM
thanks for the replies everyone, will let you all know how im getting on

brian_chapin
16-08-2011, 12:52 PM
First off - welcome to the world of Ammonia refrigeration! It's great to see new people joining because a whole lot of our current engineers are about to retire.

Consider joining the "Ammonia Refrigeration Operators" group on LinkedIn. Check out www.gcapcoolcast.com for some podcasts on ammonia refrigeration as well. Both of those were started by Garden City Ammonia Program, where I work.

I know the school has some contacts in the EU - perhaps you could get some more information in the LinkedIn group.

kev12
22-08-2011, 08:47 PM
thanks brian, i'll do that