PDA

View Full Version : job help

pkw111
07-08-2011, 08:58 PM
hi all,

im 22 and i have worked as a transport refrigeration engineer for 5 years now (3 year apprenticeship). i have NVQ level 2 in commercial refrigeration & air con, and have 2079. Basically i want to persue a career doing commercial & air con but im finding it hard to find any jobs where employers dont want an engineer with 10 years experience! Can anyone offer any advice on what is the best way for me to make the switch with my experice. i.e. asking companys for improver roles or something different?

Any help is appreciated

chillerman2006
07-08-2011, 09:27 PM
Hi pkw

I started in transport and think its a good place to start...depending on if your in the south or not I could pm you some company names that are worth a try

Transport engineers can easily turn their hand to small commercial/air con, you have ALL the basics

I wonder why your so keen to move on, for me it was the constant oil/grease and when on call I was often out all night

transport has one big advantage over other area's of the trade and thats 99/100 you park right beside the unit your working on

I often park 1/2 a mile from site these days which can be a pain when you need a lot of gear

commercial was not for me too many calls and too many late nights pubs/clubs

a/c I find can be tedious, cleaning filters and whingy office staff, "i'm too cold" and person sitting beside them "i'm too hot" or "look at all the dust on my desk"

What I am trying to say is the grass is not always greener and you need to find the part of the industry that suits your lifestyle best

They all have there good & bad points

pkw111
07-08-2011, 09:59 PM
unfortunatly im in the north east.

to be honest i dont like being woke up at 3 in the morning to go and bleed a trailer up because a driver has ran it out of diesel, but when you get there it has the magic 3/4 full tank!! i also dont like the constant oil and grease.

im just after any advice on the best way to contact companys as all the jobs advertised want experienced lads with 10 years behind them in the commercial game

chillerman2006
07-08-2011, 10:11 PM
to be honest i dont like being woke up at 3 in the morning to go and bleed a trailer up because a driver has ran it out of diesel, but when you get there it has the magic 3/4 full tank!!

still pulling that old trick:D, use it to your advantage till you move on then

make the driver aware you are going to put on the sheet - driver error, run out of diesel

the drivers often get charged for your call out if you do and are very quick to bung you a drink, £20 got to be the minimum

I will buzz a couple of friends tomorrow and see if i can come up with some names/numbers up your way

pkw111
07-08-2011, 10:26 PM
all the time!

thanks any help will be great

chhers paul

chillerman2006
08-08-2011, 01:39 PM
check your private messages mate

jonjon
08-08-2011, 11:24 PM
try mitie there always after engineers