PDA

View Full Version : Gauges on A/C Equipment

chillerman2006
06-08-2011, 11:09 AM
With the spot light clearly on refrigerant loss these days

Is it not about time A/C Manufacturers started fitting gauges on all their units as standard ?

install monkey
06-08-2011, 08:46 PM
hitatchi and mitsi units now have tranducers on so when u interogate the remote controller you can read pressures without gauges

chillerman2006
06-08-2011, 08:49 PM
hitatchi and mitsi units now have tranducers on so when u interogate the remote controller you can read pressures without gauges

Nice..makes life easier dunnit

install monkey
07-08-2011, 12:07 AM
yep,i had a trane chiller and it had gauges fittied to it and every time it leaked the capillarys had rubbed through,so fitting gauges isnt always a good idea,transducers are less prone to leakage and are cheaper,but in an ideal world your only gonna fit ur gauges to a system when u suspect problems

chillerman2006
07-08-2011, 01:08 AM
yep,i had a trane chiller and it had gauges fittied to it and every time it leaked the capillarys had rubbed through,so fitting gauges isnt always a good idea,transducers are less prone to leakage and are cheaper,but in an ideal world your only gonna fit ur gauges to a system when u suspect problems

Yeah agree with you Mate, its just working in London most of the time (chillers normally) I have enough to carry without running back to the car when I look at an A/C unit and suspect a problem

Magoo
07-08-2011, 01:45 AM
Hi
interesting comments, fixed gauges are another potential leak. Transducers are a good idea, but then every manufacturer will bump the price and have specific connections and techo stuff to connect with either a laptop or similar. Another truck load of fittings or similar.

chillerman2006
07-08-2011, 01:54 AM
Hi Magoo

can see what you both say about gauges is right, would be more than happy with transducers + digital readout

Its just me set in my ways - so used to full rucksack on me back, me dinner one hand and the other free for doors/cat ladders etc that its a nuisance when I have to carry gauges:(

james10
07-08-2011, 10:17 AM
It does get annoying, carrying all the gear you need when I do maintenance and I have to drag all my gear across a city I have a single gauge with a quick coupler attached fits in my pocket no need for the manifold and lines, have a comparator on my phone should I need one,

chillerman2006
07-08-2011, 11:16 AM
I have a single gauge with a quick coupler attached fits in my pocket no need for the manifold and lines, have a comparator on my phone should I need one,

Top Man James, never thought of that, bestidea's always the simplist

Gary
07-08-2011, 06:59 PM
Or eliminate gauge ports altogether and learn to troubleshoot without gauges.

chillerman2006
07-08-2011, 07:06 PM
Or eliminate gauge ports altogether and learn to troubleshoot without gauges.

Hiya Gary

I can get a good idea whats going on without gauges

Whats your methods

Gary
07-08-2011, 07:24 PM
To my mind the reason we use gauges is to find out the saturation temperatures.

We can get a good idea of SST and SCT by return bend temps.

Another method is to use a small cardboard disk. Poke a small hole in the center, hold it against the fins in the center of the coil and insert a thermometer through the center hole.

I'm thinking the manufacturers could devise and identify a measuring spot on their particular systems where the temp closely matches saturation (perhaps install a thermometer well?).

chillerman2006
07-08-2011, 07:30 PM
Another method is to use a small cardboard disk. Poke a small hole in the center, hold it against the fins in the center of the coil and insert a thermometer through the center hole.

Nice one

Had tried taking temps at centre of coils just airflow gives false reading, will try this tomorrow, thanks

What do you mean by "by return bend temps"

Gary
07-08-2011, 07:41 PM
The U bends at the ends of the coils.

chillerman2006
07-08-2011, 07:55 PM
The U bends at the ends of the coils.

Ok..cheers

Magoo
08-08-2011, 02:49 AM
Hi Chiller man.
as per Gary's idea and extend that to make up a transducer[ several ] that connects to say your multimeter, similar to a amp clamp, years ago I had several gauges fitted with schrader connects, packed better in tool bag than a manifold.

chillerman2006
09-09-2011, 01:42 AM
Hi Chiller man.
as per Gary's idea and extend that to make up a transducer[ several ] that connects to say your multimeter, similar to a amp clamp, years ago I had several gauges fitted with schrader connects, packed better in tool bag than a manifold.

Hi Magoo

Missed this some how till now ... good point mate ... alright finding all the resolutions here, just how do we get manufacturers to see whats the way forward, would they even listen

R's CM