PDA

View Full Version : Fire - help!!

FJD
29-07-2011, 08:42 PM
Hi Guys, pardon the alarmist title, but I'm looking at a maxima 1300 that has completely burned out and the question is what is the likely cause. All I know about the unit is that it was showing way too cold half an hour before the fire - set at -20C and had gone right down to -28C.

Any ideas what is likely to have gone wrong?

Frank

pkw111
29-07-2011, 09:37 PM
just the wiring in the controll panel or the whole fridge?!

FJD
29-07-2011, 10:36 PM
Control panel, fridge and whole trailer! Not much left at all! Have there been any product recalls or anything that you know of?

cadwaladr
29-07-2011, 11:30 PM
arson? lots of unexplained fires when money is tight.

FJD
30-07-2011, 12:02 AM
No - CCTV on it! Not arson.

Robert Hilton
30-07-2011, 02:19 PM
Short in the battery? don't forget, exposed fuel lines run through the same area. Not a very clever configuration.

charlie patt
30-07-2011, 05:52 PM
look at the cctv where does it start useually in the panel?

gravy258
31-07-2011, 02:40 AM
maximas have heat lock out in frozen ranges. So if you set it at -20 and the product is actually at -28 it will stay there.

post up a picture of the burnt fridge.

FJD
31-07-2011, 08:57 AM
Can you explain the heat lock out? I don't know what that is. But my understanding is that it had earlier shown -20C and for some reason this had gone down further to -28C. I was wondering if this was an indication of a particular fault or known problem.

CCTV isn't good enough to show any detail - only shows that no one went near the unit.

I can't post a picture at the moment - I'll may be able to later.

Latte
31-07-2011, 09:54 PM
Maxima heat lock out :-

When on continuious above (i think -12) unit will cycle cool/heat to maintain temp, so for instance if set at 0 unit will run cool to 0, then heat to +2 then cool to 0 and so on. With the heat lock (Unit set below -12) the unit will NOT cycle and stay permantly on cooling past the setpoint. ive seen many carriers in the -30's whn been parked up running, thats why anything below -10 in this country should be set on cycle sentry. hope this explains if not post any questions

Latte
31-07-2011, 09:59 PM
Forgot to also mention. never known one to burn out on the electics, obviously only 12v so difficult. was unit possibly on mains (elec motor burn out) or have know them to have belt problems (expecially if not maintained well and beainings been lub'd, as gravy 258 posted a picture might help as not much inside to do that much damage unless gone through fuel lines, my guess without seeing pics, overheated evap fan bearings/breakup onto trailer insulation ?

chillerman2006
17-08-2011, 11:52 PM
had to do a full strip out (save what you can) and rebuild on SBIII :eek: that burnt out - caused by belts - wasn't too bad in the end (looks worse) - new loom, couple of metre's fuel line, belts, clutch, rear pod & front panels/doors

changed filters + oil, all done & remounted 4/5 days - didn't take that long once you get started

Good chance same problem (lack of maintenance) belt comes off top pully, loose round clutch, gets hot and ignites

at least it was not in eurotunnel & took a train out with it :D
like the carrier around 2000 or 2001:eek:

CTMarco
25-08-2011, 10:15 AM
Chillerman2006 it might be a good idea to provide a correction to your statement on Carrier taking a train out in the Eurotunnel. It was actually the Mont Blonc tunnel and was a Volvo truck that cause the fire from a disgarded cigarette. I ran a recall programme after the event due to the number of rumours until receiving the complete report from the authorities. All Volvos are now fitted with special addtional guard on the air intake.

Thanks for your update

cadwaladr
25-08-2011, 10:43 PM
ihad a electric motor sieze on a maxima causing the belts to burn between the motor and the clutch,i guess it could cause an inferno if the shaft seal spat oil out or as suggested dirt or fuel lines,but no connection to temperature too cold i guess the fire was something to observe[from a mile or two]one of my customers had a tk sb111 comp siezed and it caught light on the motorway driver was unaware a traffic officer saw it from a bridge and chased it to inform driver the fridge was shot but the trailer was saved.

chillerman2006
25-08-2011, 10:52 PM
chillerman2006 it might be a good idea to provide a correction to your statement on carrier taking a train out in the eurotunnel. It was actually the mont blonc tunnel and was a volvo truck that cause the fire from a disgarded cigarette. I ran a recall programme after the event due to the number of rumours until receiving the complete report from the authorities. All volvos are now fitted with special addtional guard on the air intake.

Thanks for your update

<<update>> A Carrier Unit caught fire in the Eurotunnel & closed the tunnel Until repairs were carried out - Better be safe than sorry - Take the ferry <<update >>

cadwaladr
25-08-2011, 10:59 PM
thats what i heard,the evap heaters were not fuse protected and insecure[the fuses were too large]thats what i heard,also seen a evap fan on a vector the plug and socket caught fire and nearly caused an inferno scary.

install monkey
25-08-2011, 11:06 PM
thats what i heard,the evap heaters were not fuse protected and insecure[the fuses were too large]thats what i heard,also seen a evap fan on a vector the plug and socket caught fire and nearly caused an inferno scary.
i heard vectors are bomb proof,can operate on half its charge and they are the dogs danglies!! anyway hijack time-how productive was yor day?please post replies on other threads!!!!-no dont ill get hung!:D:D:D

simon@parker
25-08-2011, 11:16 PM
i heard vectors are bomb proof,can operate on half its charge and they are the dogs danglies!! anyway hijack time-how productive was yor day?please post replies on other threads!!!!-no dont ill get hung!:D:D:D
monkeying around again i see lmao :)

install monkey
25-08-2011, 11:21 PM
oh yes if i wasnt id be dead!!! haha-just done a 15.5 hr day and 360mile round trip-and went shopping /skivving/booby spotting-in reverse order in lincoln and stockton on tees!!
monkeying around again i see lmao :)

simon@parker
25-08-2011, 11:26 PM
oh yes if i wasnt id be dead!!! haha-just done a 15.5 hr day and 360mile round trip-and went shopping /skivving/booby spotting-in reverse order in lincoln and stockton on tees!!
oh i miss that dont see much anymore lincoln not far from me some lush women up there notts better though ;) and so is the shoppin :) lol

install monkey
25-08-2011, 11:33 PM
sorry to dissappoint u but its a **** hole!!!! £7;90 parking for over 4 hrs! and ur sat nav has a paddy in the town centre! everywhere has hot women but they also have high ratios of swamp donkeys!!
oh i miss that dont see much anymore lincoln not far from me some lush women up there notts better though ;) and so is the shoppin :) lol