PDA

View Full Version : using R22 in a R410a system

kurt s
28-07-2011, 08:43 PM
this is just a thought but in a smaller r410a system with no TXV do you believe R22 would work a replacement refrigerant? maybe just replace the piston / orifice to correct size, and i think you would be good to go as long as all the old oil and refirgeant were removed.... ????? any thoughts

install monkey
28-07-2011, 09:00 PM
r22 mineral oil 410a synthetic,is this due to r22 is cheap and r410 is pricey? best stick to whats its dsigned for

monkey spanners
28-07-2011, 10:21 PM
Do it right or don't do it.

Duty would be less, pipe sizes may be wrong, some ester oil can go frothy with R22 (additives are put in some oils to stop this) it could cause problems should someone later want to put the correct refrigerant in the system.
If you are not geared up to work with R410A either sub contract the work out or be honest with your customer and walk away from it.

Jon :)

Fri3Oil System
29-07-2011, 07:02 AM
r22 mineral oil 410a synthetic,is this due to r22 is cheap and r410 is pricey? best stick to whats its dsigned for
R22 is also miscible/soluble with POE. The problem has more to do with working pressures, pipes sizing and so on.
The question is why to switch from R410A to R22? wouldn't it be cheaper just to top up
with R410A?

Regards,

Nando.

kurt s
29-07-2011, 05:46 PM
i just thought it would be a interesting topic, i have seen many many many 410a systems all pipe sized the same as R22... so it got me thinking why not?? i havent tried it and never plan to but i do think it could work. you may end up pulling out the old r22 after and couple seasons and installing fresh R22 again, but i think it would last forever after that.

i guess is doesnt matter sense its just a hypothetical question anyway but just a thought.

monkey spanners
29-07-2011, 07:18 PM
i just thought it would be a interesting topic, i have seen many many many 410a systems all pipe sized the same as R22... so it got me thinking why not?? i havent tried it and never plan to but i do think it could work. you may end up pulling out the old r22 after and couple seasons and installing fresh R22 again, but i think it would last forever after that.

i guess is doesnt matter sense its just a hypothetical question anyway but just a thought.

Hi Kurt,

I hope i didn't sound too preachy in my first reply, we sometimes get home owners on here asking if the can top up the systems with whatever jug they have lying around.

I was basing my comment on line sizes on the mini splits i fit, since the swap from R22 to R410A line sizes generally have gone down a size for the same duty, but most mini splits have the expansion device in the outdoor unit so these don't work the same way as the central ducted style units i'm guessing you are more familiar with.

Jon :)