PDA

View Full Version : Dont glue drain into toshiba cassettes!!!

langy
24-07-2011, 06:03 PM
I've been glueing 3/4 pvc overflo into all makes of A/C cassettes for years and never had any problems.
Fitted 15 Toshiba units in a place, had the first unit on for a week before power supply was ready to commission the others.......had a water leak at the boss connection on the cassette.
The overflow pulled out of the boss, so assumed the lad who did it forgot to put glue on.
The leak came back and every unit has started leaking :eek:
It seams that the plastic type boss on the cassette does not accept solvent glue:mad:
Never really fitted many Toshiba's so I dont know if this has allways been the case.
Has anybody else experienced this?????

moondawn
24-07-2011, 06:32 PM
hi does the unit come with a rubber nodder like mitsubishi ones? which goes over the plastic outlet and then the 3/4 goes inside the nodder?

seems strange as if it does not have a nodder how else can the drain stay inside without being glued?

langy
24-07-2011, 06:52 PM
hi does the unit come with a rubber nodder like mitsubishi ones? which goes over the plastic outlet and then the 3/4 goes inside the nodder?

seems strange as if it does not have a nodder how else can the drain stay inside without being glued?

Same as most other units, a flexi pipe connector comes with the kit...never used em as I dont like pushing water horizontaly before it goes upwards. Got onto CDL (supplier) who sell a black rubber piece that fits tightly over the boss and reduces to fit tightly over the overflow. I asked them if they had ever had this happen before? They said no:rolleyes: but said everyone buys these rubber kits (which are an exta):(........I think that they should put a warning NOT GLUE COMPATABLE! on the boss and they should supply the rubber kit free!!!

moondawn
24-07-2011, 07:24 PM
ah yes i have seen them before, they are not that cheap them either. i usually use the flexi pipe or rubber nodder.
Each to there own and all mate.

install monkey
24-07-2011, 07:30 PM
arent u supposed to use the flexi pipe so the drain can be seperated if it becomes blocked and also to stop vibrations fracturing the glued joint.-ive never fitted tosh,i stick to daikin,mitsi,panasonic

langy
24-07-2011, 08:06 PM
arent u supposed to use the flexi pipe so the drain can be seperated if it becomes blocked and also to stop vibrations fracturing the glued joint.ive never fitted tosh,i stick to daikin,mitsi,panasonic
What vibration?:confused: and never had problems with blocked drain on a cassette. Like I previously said, I dont like the thought of having to pump water horizontally before you push it upwards like you would have to if you use the flexi pipe......It obviously works but when I see installs with them on it looks kinda sloppy:)

install monkey
24-07-2011, 08:12 PM
when u go in sports shops etc and u see cassettes hung off the roof purlins 10mtr up. and theyre still 4mtr off the floor. when u try and clean the filter when ur stood on tip toes the unit rocks like a wrecking ball

langy
24-07-2011, 09:34 PM
Get yer boss to buy you some bigger steps:D

install monkey
24-07-2011, 09:55 PM
and pills for vertigo!!!

stufus
24-07-2011, 11:15 PM
Used to do a lot of Tosh work and it always stated in the install manual that solvent glue was not to be used on the drain connection.On some units it was stamped into the connection.
The flexi connectors can be bent through 90 degrees to go vertical.
Cheers
Stu

langy
25-07-2011, 06:48 AM
Used to do a lot of Tosh work and it always stated in the install manual that solvent glue was not to be used on the drain connection.On some units it was stamped into the connection.
The flexi connectors can be bent through 90 degrees to go vertical.
Cheers
Stu
It states in the manual that you can't put a bend or a set in the flexi connection.....that bit of the manual I have read.;)

stufus
25-07-2011, 01:10 PM
I read that bit too.
But puting a bend or set in the flexi doesnt cause a leak.;)
Cheers
Stu

install monkey
28-07-2011, 06:06 PM
looks like someones going diggin in the skip for flexi's

eggs
28-07-2011, 09:54 PM
Right chaps, this is what you do.....

Fit the elephants trunk to the cassette, glue some 32mm drain to the trunk end ( it is a perfect fit). Fit a 32mm elbow to the pipe then insert a 22mm reducer and off you go.

Never had one leak yet.

Steve