PDA

View Full Version : Is a refrigeration mechanic a dangerous job?

gbgel
21-07-2011, 10:13 AM
Hi, I am interested in taking up the trade but unsure about the safety and concerns to my health:

-Are there many substances used in the trade that are harmful
-How often is wielding required?
-And many times a day would you have to wield?

Cheers

Hi gbgel
There are many harmful substances in our trade - Like asbestos, fosgene, solvents, electromagnetic and electric radiation, phone radiation, refrigerants, stress, acids, oils, viruses and bugs from people, fast moving machinery, electricity, legionnaires disease, PCBs, noise, sun, and much more but around the same as most other trades.
Welding is required around once a week for where I work but it varies on what company you work for and which area you work in.
So if your a bit squemish do something else like an office job and you could die from getting a unfit sitting on a chair all day. It's not too bad for me and most my work mates and we enjoy it. We have much better protection today than when I started the trade many moons ago. I don't mean to scare you too much just telling the truth. it pays well compared to average jobs and you can stay honest doing your job.
Where are you from there could be an opening where I work for an apprentice.

Thanks for your reply,

I am very interested in the trade and think will enjoy it. I am just concerned about the welding aspect of it and risks associated with it. I was thinking of working on commercial/industrial side of it. Could you tell me if there is more or less welding here? or which areas involve the least?

Cheers

Tesla
21-07-2011, 12:02 PM
Hi gbgel
There are many harmful substances in our trade - Like asbestos, fosgene, solvents, electromagnetic and electric radiation, phone radiation, refrigerants, stress, acids, oils, viruses and bugs from people, fast moving machinery, electricity, legionnaires disease, PCBs, noise, sun, and much more but around the same as most other trades.
Welding is required around once a week for where I work but it varies on what company you work for and which area you work in.
So if your a bit squemish do something else like an office job and you could die from getting a unfit sitting on a chair all day. It's not too bad for me and most my work mates and we enjoy it. We have much better protection today than when I started the trade many moons ago. I don't mean to scare you too much just telling the truth. it pays well compared to average jobs and you can stay honest doing your job.
Where are you from there could be an opening where I work for an apprentice.

monkey spanners
21-07-2011, 08:40 PM
What is it about welding or brazing that concerns you?

Jon :)

install monkey
21-07-2011, 08:58 PM
think he has an oxygen fetish! -couldnt resist that!

glenn1340
21-07-2011, 11:11 PM
Welding`s a safe part of the job, how about falling from a ladder or tower, rotating parts, electric shocks, being hit by a fork truck on site? the list could go on. it`s as safe, or as dangerous, as you want it to be. There`s risk associated with every job, even living. You`ve just got to use common sense.

mikeref
21-07-2011, 11:45 PM
Yeh, there will be welding, oxy or electric for sure. One way or another you just suck it up and do it. Would be like asking a sparkie if there are any dangers involved with working with electrics and how often.

mad fridgie
22-07-2011, 01:01 AM
Horny housewives, Unhappy wife/girlfriend, vicious managers, back stabbing work mates, driving whilst your knackered.
We should be getting danger money!

mikeref
22-07-2011, 03:51 AM
What is it about welding or brazing that concerns you?

Jon :)
Ah, maybe the odd blob of solder that falls into your boot:rolleyes: or shirt pocket, next to the BIC lighter.

Tesla
22-07-2011, 09:34 AM
Hi gbgel
I think for the least amount of welding you could look at air conditioning. If you are interested in a start in Sydney PM me with a few details and I will PM back with the right contacts for an interview. I have worked on refrigeration, air conditioning, industrial and commercial, controls and fitting. We had an apprentice leave to go overseas this week so it a hot opportunity.

james10
22-07-2011, 06:58 PM
Horny housewives, Unhappy wife/girlfriend, vicious managers, back stabbing work mates, driving whilst your knackered.

im familiar with the above but yet to come accross a horny house wife, maybe i'm in the wrong sector:D:D

install monkey
22-07-2011, 07:48 PM
thats because the word hot was missing from the comment,its always the swamp donkeys that want a bit! they always complain the air con is dripping water,normally due to the u value of flubber!!!

frank
22-07-2011, 08:13 PM
Good honest start to the thread and even better honest answers.....:D:D:D
I could comment but I won't in case the boss (LOL) is looking over my shoulder...:D:D:D

glenn1340
22-07-2011, 09:00 PM

Horny housewives....where!!

MikeHolm
22-07-2011, 11:29 PM
Vicious managers??? I guess that's me. horny housewives are not unknown in these parts either.

Magoo
23-07-2011, 04:41 AM
never seen a horny housewife yet without a plan B, let alone one in a ammonia plant. The ammonia reaction on the wet bits drives them off.