PDA

View Full Version : Beko AB910S woes

redland_doug
18-07-2011, 11:12 AM
Hello everyone,

I have a problem with my Beko AB910S fridge-freezer. Last week we got -E0 flashing where the freezer temp should be. Then it stopped all on its own. But now the freezer temp seems to be too warm. The temperature bar for the freezer varies a lot too - from no bars to 3 bars over a period of minutes. Now, I really don't think that the temperature in the freezer is really changing that fast, so it must be the stat in the freezer. Does anyone have an idea where it is, where to get a spare and how easy a job is it? I've seen other threads stating that -E0 is a temperature sensor failure, so it all ties in. I reckon its feeding duff readings to the main board (which must have seen erratic values leading to the -E0 display).

My main problems are to understand which of the several sensors this error applies to (I need a part number), and where the dang thing is! I've contact Beko for the info, but astoundingly I've had no reply! :(

Many thanks for any help!

Doug

tonto33
18-07-2011, 05:00 PM
need to replace sensor can get them from here http://www.partmaster.co.uk/cgi-bin/product.pl?PID=1629730&query=ab910%20sensor

redland_doug
19-07-2011, 11:15 AM
Hi!

Thanks! I just had a couple of conversations with Beko, who have been really helpful I have to say! Here's what they said:

Our technical department have advised:

E0 = Freezer sensor failure: Part no. 4216600385

I then asked where it is, and they said:

I have attached a photo indicating the position of the sensor which is behind the marked position.

However we would advise an engineer replaces the freezer sensor as the ice maker motor, ice maker assembly and rear plastic panels inside the freezer have to be removed.

Fortunately I don't have the ice maker/water chiller option on mine, so its really a simple job - the rear panel is held on by a few screws. I'm not able to attach the picture here, but they have highlighted a small grill at the back of the freezer compartment, on the left hand side, roughly halfway up. I was looking in there last night and thought that it was probably that! ;)

PS - part seems to be widely available, roughly £10 delivered. Cheaper than an engineer call out!

Hope this helps anyone else who gets this problem. I'm off to fix mine now....

Thanks,

Doug

redland_doug
13-08-2011, 09:08 AM
Hi Again,

Well, I ordered the part and fixed it myself - took 15 mins. Trouble is that the freezer still isn't right! The freezer temperature is subzero (ice cubes are made OK after a while), but its not cold enough. The freezer temp gauge (4 LEDS from min to max) still has no bars lit, 24hrs after the repair. Stuff in the freezer is frozen - just. Ice cream is soft & slushy. No error code illuminated at all.

Anyone got any other ideas? I noticed when I had the back of the freezer compartment out, to access the sensor, that the heat exchanger sits backs there, enclosed in polystyrene, with a fan at the top to force air around the freezer (with the back in place there are vents top and bottom where the air flows round). I am beginning to wonder if the fan has failed. Without the air being forced around, the freezer would get cold, but would be very inefficient. Or are there any other sensors in there that could be responsible?

Any tips gratefully received!!

Cheers,

Doug

install monkey
13-08-2011, 05:49 PM
push the door switch to see if fan starts,if not disconnect the switch to see if power is present at the switch,prove power is leaving the switch,prove power at the fan motor,usually goes via a pipe thermistor which only runs the fan if the coil is below 0deg(stops fan during defrost then delays the start)
its not one of them beko's with the built in fire is it??

redland_doug
22-08-2011, 01:03 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the advice - I'll try that. The freezer did eventually get down to something approaching the right temperature, but it took days. Now the temperature indicator is doing its 'random' thing - going from all on to all off over a period of minutes. If the sensors are not feeding the right info to the controller board, then it won't be doing the right things.

I've heard people advise a thorough defrost of the unit (even though its frost free) may help. Looking on the web there seem to be lots of people in the same boat as me, so if it is a long term build up of ice, this could explain it I suppose.

I've asked Beko if there are other sensors that I should replace, but in the meantime I'll check the fan and once I've used up the food, do a full defrost. (This is where you realise the pain of having a combined fridge/freezer - defrosting the freezer means switching off the fridge too - unless anyone knows a trick?)

Cheers,

Doug

redland_doug
30-08-2011, 11:00 AM
Hi,

All fixed now. I got a replacement fan and fitted it (took 10mins). The old one was clearly knackered - coils were brownish and smelt 'cooked'. I also noted that the plastic frame for the fan was broken on one side! Someone did not take much care putting this unit together. The fan could not be transit damaged given where it is, so it had to have been to be fitted bust. Nice. Maybe the knock that broke the casing lead to its fairly short lifetime (about 4 years).

Anyway - if anyone ever gets an E0 error, and/or finds that their fridge & freezer are frozen at the bottom and melting at the top, its a simple fix:

Get a replacement fan (£25-£30 delivered)
Switch off the unit
Remove the top glass shelf from the freezer
Remove the ice cube make (4 screws)
Remove the screw from the top panel at the rear of the freezer
Remove the panel (may need a bit of pulling and easing but it does come out)
Remove the polystyrene block that is now visible
There's your fan - unscrew it and disconnect it.
Fit new fan and reassemble unit (reverse of the disassembly order)
Switch it back on.

Cheers,

Doug

redland_doug
10-09-2011, 03:59 PM
And the woes continue.... even with the new fan, the freezer is again not getting cold enough. Grrrr....!!! I put it on fast freeze last night (-27), and in the morning it had gotten properly cold. Temperature display was fully lit. Putting back to its normal setting, and within a few hours all leds had switched off again, and once more the freezer did not seem cold enough. Definite moisture at the top of the freezer, not ice. Anybody got any more ideas? Could the compressor need recharging (if that's even possible?)

Cheers,

Doug

install monkey
10-09-2011, 07:03 PM
If in fast freeze mode it reaches temp,all it does is bypass the stat,if the resistance of the sensor is correct,replace indoor pcb?

tonto33
10-09-2011, 09:34 PM
error code E0 = Freezer sensor failure... :)

tonto33
10-09-2011, 09:41 PM
oops should of read it properly not just half way down....
pcb dont fail much on these, may need regas, here's error codes if needed
ERROR CODES
Error codes is displayed at freezer display and while there is an error code “!” icon is lit on the display. Actual freezer display and error code/codes are shown in sequence.
E0 (Freezer sensor failure):
- Entry: If measured sensor value is open circuit or short circuit
- Behaviour during error: Compressor and freezer fan run continuously. Freezer bar-graph display will be off.
- Exit: If the sensor value is correct (not open or short) error is omitted.
E1 (Freezer defrost sensor failure):
- Behaviour during error: Defrost heater will be switched on for 25min. during normal defrost.
E3 (Fridge sensor failure):
- Behaviour during error: Baffle should be opened for 3min. and closed for 7 min. Fridge bar-graph display will be off.
E4 (Defrost heater failure):
- Entry: If defrost time is equal to the maximum defrost time of 60min. for 3 consecutive defrosts this error is shown.
- Behaviour during error: Control runs defrost heater normally.
- Exit: When a defrost finishes shorter than maximum time of 60min error is omitted.
E8 (Ice sensor failure):
- Behaviour during error: Ice machine should not operate.
E9 (Ice machine failure):
- Entry: If switch does not change as described during initialisation or, while rotating ice machine, if SW position does not change in 1 minute
- Behaviour during error: Ice machine should not operate.
- Exit: If ice-off is selected, or if during initialisation switch changes as described.
When the failure is corrected the error code will disappear on the display and control will run according to normal related algorithm.
After a power interruption, error codes should be remembered.
After an initial power-up, error codes, except heater error, should not be remembered. (Heater error should be remembered)
Error codes are cleared after a self-test.

redland_doug
14-09-2011, 12:37 PM
Update -
In desperation to avoid slushy ice-cream and soft burgers, I left the freezer on fast freeze for a couple of days. It certainly got properly cold! I then switch it off fast freeze, and onto its coldest conventional setting : -24. It managed to maintain this for 24 hrs, all bars lit on the temperature display! Progress! Yesterday I took it up to -22, and after few hours one bar of the temperature display went out ... but that was it. And now 24 hours later we're still OK, and the freezer it maintaining it nice and cold. Tonight I'll try -20, and if we're stable there I'll leave, and shrug my shoulders! What ever was wrong seems to have cleared itself ...?????

Cheers,

Doug