PDA

View Full Version : Can't think of suitable title!

aircon50
14-07-2011, 02:24 PM
Hi all.
Been trawling the internet using various key words, but so far have not found anything suitable. Also, not sure if this the right section in the forum for this post.
We have a client who has an an apartment with three wall splits, two bedrooms and lounge. This is used as a 'holiday let'.
Many holidaymakers when confronted with a/c in their accommodation, come in, switch the a/c on, open all the patio doors and windows, and the a/c stays on until they leave. We see this more often than not.
Our client has asked us if it is possible to fit switches to doors and windows so that the a/c is off when said doors etc are open.
Because of the the layout of the apartment it would be easier if a wireless installation could be made. We have seen many wireless security installations, with movement sensors etc.
Can anybody point us in the right direction of a supplier of such equipment? Any help appreciated.
Many thanks, Graham

al
14-07-2011, 06:23 PM
Graham

First check can the a/c take an externa on/off, if not then you need to fit a contactor to kill power to the units.
Why not use a wireless alarm set up? You only need something to switch the contactor, door and window contacts are very cheap!

alec

frank
14-07-2011, 07:04 PM
Everything is possible - but it all depends on how easy it is to integrate it with your particular units.
What manufacturer are you talking about ?

Fri3Oil System
15-07-2011, 07:55 AM
An extra cost for the AC might work. Like in hospitals that you have to pay to watch tv.

I called it pay-per-cool (like pay-per-view). We thought that could have been a nice business, but not maybe for the Spanish tourists, who expect AC without any additional charge. Maybe for British, German... tourists could have more sense. At the end, there were more negative than positive inputs and we just abandoned the idea. Maybe now, someone would like to retake it :D

Regards,

Nando.

TRASH101
15-07-2011, 11:49 AM
Killing power to the units may cause more trouble then its worth.....most systems would suffer.

How about sensor manipulation.....switching in a resistor to fool the set point and thereby keeping the integrity of any protective devices (assuming an external off isn't available).
Maybe even adding a hold off timer for reasonable access and egress to not hamper ;)

texas64
15-07-2011, 02:26 PM
I wired up a new school gymnasium during construction. It had 6 garage roll up doors, 3 on either side of the gym. I used security contacts at the floor of each door wired in series so when any of the doors was not making contact to the floor, power would be interrupted leaving the transformer. Since this was a larger facility than what you are considering, I had to install a separate transformer just for this control circuit due to the length of wire, using a isolation relay to interrupt power leaving the AC unit transformer to the thermostat. This was a 30 ton split system. As far as wireless, which would obviously be easier to install in your case, I am not familiar. Just scout around. The main thing for you would be to cut control power when any of the windows are opened. I don't think wiring in the doors would be logical.

sinewave
16-07-2011, 06:09 PM
A couple of big signs placed at strategical locations stating the A/C will not work if you leave doors & windows open would be the cheapest route!

:D