PDA

View Full Version : wall mounted unit just under ceiling !

pvl
12-07-2011, 06:32 PM
I have to place a wall-mounted unit and the only possibility I have is just under the ceiling ... there are only one or two centimeters between the unit and the ceiling. What are the implications of this location ?

sinewave
12-07-2011, 06:46 PM
As long as you can open the door to access the filters it will work fine.

Wall mounts should be mounted as high as practical, heat rises remember! :)

monkey spanners
12-07-2011, 06:50 PM
Just make sure the cover comes off ok, have had a few that have been really close and once you've taken the screws out the bottom you can't 'hinge' the cover up enough for the clips at the top to let go. Would depend on the make of unit though.

Jon :)

Kev The Tool
12-07-2011, 07:04 PM
it will be fine, ideally i like to go 100mm from ceiling to top of unit but sometimes you just cant.
Kev

JoeAT50A
13-07-2011, 07:21 AM
New Flat type wall mounted units required minimum 50mm for better return intake.

6774 HERE

pvl
13-07-2011, 02:18 PM
thank you all for your advice

paul_h
13-07-2011, 04:15 PM
It won't work with a lot of systems.
Most modern splits had ALL of their intake from the top, they don't have front grilles any more.
Some brands are as noisy as hell being less than 100mm from the ceiling.
then come to warranty claims they'll point you to the install instructions saying 100mm or 150mm from the ceiling and warranty void.
Fujitsu used to make a model specifically for close to ceilings (higher profile sticking out more), but I wouldn't stick up any old split system less than 100mm from the ceiling, the ones I look after now would be horribly noisy and may cut out on over heating in heat mode with just 2-3cm. edit: And as mentioned above, you wouldn't even be able to take the fascia off with a small gap as you need to tilt them back a fair bit to unclip the top.

Looks like fuji got rid of their plain 'close to ceiling splits' and only have the nocria now, which even then needs 40mm from the ceiling.
To be honest I wouldn't put any system 1-2cm from the ceiling and I'd sell them a cassette. If they don't want that, well let someone else put up with the complaints of poor performance and the system being noisy.

I have done manufacturers warranty and have had to support and check others installs, so I've learnt plenty about what I shouldn't do.

paul_h
13-07-2011, 04:32 PM
As long as you can open the door to access the filters it will work fine.

Wall mounts should be mounted as high as practical, heat rises remember! :)
So when they are on heat mode they short cycle and you are down below freezing?
If you want reverse cycle heating they shouldn't be too high. Cool air drops, no reason to cool air above where you stand, the hot air can stay up there above the a/c and do nothing even if a cooling only system.
The warm air in winter needs to be as close to the occupants as possible.
Ie, if you need to stand on a chair (or to do it safely from a ladder) to reach the wall split on a normal domestic single level regular height ceiling, flat level floor building to clean the filters, the a/c is too high!

al
13-07-2011, 07:38 PM
PVL

Check these from Fujitsu: http://www.fgeurofred.co.uk/default.asp?docId=12593

Or what about a ceiling console unit? These are designed to go tight to the ceiling, I'd be with Paul above as i've had to lower some Panasonic and Fujitsu's that were too tight to the ceiling.

alec

JoeAT50A
14-07-2011, 03:05 AM
Most manufacturers had done CFD simulation and come out with minimum required spaces.
Please follow their service manual.
Earliar (above) thread attached picture is for Mitsubishi Wall mounted type.