PDA

View Full Version : Fairland, 36000btu

Draco
07-07-2011, 11:57 AM
hi Guys,

Got a problem here, i have a split unit, 36000btu, it's winter in S.A. the previous unit was not heating, when i checked the unit cooling was good, was only getting +/- 15 deg on heating, i changed the compressor & reverse valve to no avail, it was the same? So i changed the condensor unit just to see if there was a difference, the temp outside is abut 14 deg, i gas up the4 unit to 4 bars, the high side is only about 5 bars on the gauge? i get cooling, but i still don't get heating, the unit starts compressor, fan & all my suction pipe is about +/- 10 bars & cold the discharge hot, but the compressor kicks out & the fan remains on, but at a slower speed then speeds up, but the compressor does not kick in & unit does not warm?:mad:

monkey spanners
07-07-2011, 11:01 PM
When charging a split ac system with refrigerant you need to charge it by weight plus any extra if needed due to a long pipe run, again in weight worked out from a chart.

There should be a sticker on the unit saying what the factory charge is. The system needs leak checking, a good deep vacuum pulling and then charging with refrigerant.

I suspect from your description the compressor is going off on high discharge superheat due to insuficient refrigerant.

Also check the air filter in the indoor unit and fan also.

Jon :)