PDA

View Full Version : suction line not sweating on R22 system.

my a/c follies
03-07-2011, 11:52 PM
hello.i just had a new unit installed.well i could not afford a bran new unit,so i had a local guy install a newer carrier condenser unit and he cut out my slab evaporator and reinstalled it.anyway,its a 3 ton unit.and when he first installed it,i remember checking the suction line to make sure it was sweating and it was.now my vent temps are 62 and 63 degrees with a 73.5 degree return air temp.its comfortable,but not as cold as it was 2 weeks ago.seems like my suction line should be sweating?i have not measured superheat yet,because im pretty sure its too high.i put my gauges on and at 100 or 98 degrees im getting a high discharge reading. im getting 260psi.is that too high?i remember the vent temps being in the high 50s when the suction line was sweating.could too much vapor cause it not to sweat?is this normal?thanks for any advice.i dont think i have a leak because my gauge readings are high.what do you guys think?

texas64
04-07-2011, 12:39 AM
Hello,

What is the suction pressure and suction line temp reading about a foot away from the compressor?
What is the ambient outdoor temperature?
What is the discharge pressure?
When you say the slab coil was cut out and reinstalled, do you mean a new 3 ton evaporator coil was installed? The blower section is 3 ton, right?
Did you install a TXV or piston(orifice) type expansion device?

Your vents should be putting out 53 to 56 degree air temps depending on the humidity in your space.

But just from the initial information you have provided, it would appear that your system is undercharged which usually means a leak, possibly from the workmanship since the system appeared well 2 weeks ago. Just a guess..

texas64
04-07-2011, 12:39 AM
oh one more thing: what is the liquid line temperature?

my a/c follies
04-07-2011, 02:00 AM
Hello,

What is the suction pressure and suction line temp reading about a foot away from the compressor?
What is the ambient outdoor temperature?
What is the discharge pressure?
When you say the slab coil was cut out and reinstalled, do you mean a new 3 ton evaporator coil was installed? The blower section is 3 ton, right?
Did you install a TXV or piston(orifice) type expansion device?

Your vents should be putting out 53 to 56 degree air temps depending on the humidity in your space.

But just from the initial information you have provided, it would appear that your system is undercharged which usually means a leak, possibly from the workmanship since the system appeared well 2 weeks ago. Just a guess..

suction line pressure:not sure because low side gauge was pegged out at 120,so i dont know if i am getting an accurate reading.i did not wait for that 120 to come down though.it was 120 psi as soon as compressor kicked on.(i should have waited)will get an accurate suction pressure in the morning.

ambient: 97 degrees at 1pm
discharge pressure:260psi

slab was cutout of attic and cleaned thouroughly with water hose.and reinstalled(didnt have enough money for a new one).so i guess im still using the same metering device (not sure if its an orifice or a txv valve)

ALSO I HAVE NOTICED THAT MY EVAP DRAIN LINE IS NOT DRAINING NEAR AS MUCH ANYMORE. IS THIS RELATED?

thanks TX64.im in fort worth.where in TX r u?

AND would my discharge pressure still be reading so high if i had a leak?seems like my pressures would be lower,but i dont know much about r22.

my a/c follies
04-07-2011, 02:01 AM
oh one more thing: what is the liquid line temperature?

not sure but it was not sweating about 12 inches from compressor.i will check and post tomorrow.can i just shoot it with a laser thermometer?thats what ive been using to get all my temps.thanks

texas64
04-07-2011, 02:33 AM
Houston. The temp check at the suction line near the compressor is to check superheat. Your drain isn't draining due to poor humidity removal from air passing over coil, hence the sweating you see. Laser thermometer is ok, but the best is a clamp type thermometer. Find out the suction pressure, but I think you are undercharged. I bet your system runs all day long. BTW, your discharge pressure is not high. You may see 275 to 285 right now based on 97 degree ambient and cleanliness of your condenser coil.

texas64
04-07-2011, 02:36 AM
*the sweating you should see...

my a/c follies
04-07-2011, 10:51 PM
update. my suction pressure at 89 degrees ambient is 70psi. i actually had a guy come out and help me measure super heat.i was getting 20 degrees superheat.way too much.tx64 you were right.i was a tad bit undercharged.we added about .5 lbs and the superheat started coming down.now im sitting at 10 degrees supeheat and my suction line is sweating like a suction line should sweat.vent temps are colder.its exactly 100 degrees right now and my vent temps are 59 degrees!thanks for the advice.