PDA

View Full Version : need some help

wolfpack82
02-07-2011, 12:42 AM
I am dealing with an lg lmu366hv condenser unit. Started out throwing a ch61 code and would still run after restarting. Suspect a refrigerant leak a small one. In trying to top the unit off the compressor will not start now. I have about 240psi static in the unit. The dc does not appear at the compressor terminals when it tries to start. I suspect a lo pressure cut out of some kind is the cause? As you may know lg s support is kinda lacking. I appreciate any help. I'm unable to access a wiring diagram/troubleshooting guide. If I could find out how to force compressor start I should be back in business. Thanks for any guidance.

update on the advice of a tech friend of my brothers I purged the unit and installed fresh charge to static 175. Compressor still will not start it is a panasonic 208v dc
unit. I am measuring .8 ohms across all the terminal combos and am told this is normal. I am wondering about the thermistor which senses the condenser coil temp since it is listed in the possibles for ch 61. on board diags still flash 61? Maybe a mystery reset sequence?

thanks again, Puzzled

charlie patt
02-07-2011, 07:53 PM
condensor coil over 61dc if you have recharged check thermistors resistance as it should still fire up unless thermistor totally out the resistors are highly unrealiable

install monkey
02-07-2011, 08:07 PM
sensor resistance 17k ohms at 0 deg
4k ohm at 30 deg if this helps

charlie patt
02-07-2011, 08:12 PM
dont always assume the code is gosble i have had several lg units saying one code and it something else also check the thermistor on discharge pipe its insulated in a red heatshield very prone to faiure you can join in a sensor all the lg sensors are the same just differ in length and plugs if it has a hard wired controller set controller to remote and pinch the indoor air off sensor of the coil and fit to the condensor to test

wolfpack82
02-07-2011, 08:39 PM
the thermistor that senses air temp is open. I dont have one available so I tried subbing in a 4.75k ohm sustition box for a minute same results still throwing ch 61 no compressor start.??

install monkey
02-07-2011, 08:59 PM
with ur dummy 4.75k ohm resistor measure the dc voltage accross the 2 pins on the outdoor board should be 2.2v dc
range is from 1 vdc to 4 vdc
http://www.mylg.co.uk

wolfpack82
03-07-2011, 02:42 AM
Install Monkey Thanks so much for the link I think it might be a big help! gonna go look at it now. LGUS tech support sucks! seems to me a guy ought to be able to get a schematic and a troublshooting guide etc. these guys don't want to help.. Question ? ok if I have a fixed resistance attached {using a lab substiution box that is variable} i tried a 6.75k as well. are you saying measure across the resistance? If not which 2 pins? I cant figure why I am not getting any new codes now that the conditions have changed. We had a pretty bad storm the night before this started. Lights went off once for a moment, but after the 61 code would start and run all night. or maybe for just an hour or two in the heat of the day. Then just crapped out altogether. but it seems like it would set some new codes.. pretty strange I always seem to end up with head scrathchers lol. thanks for the link and any further thoughts Cheers Kevin in USA North Carolina

wolfpack82
03-07-2011, 09:29 PM
Just out of curiosity I removed and refitted the eeprom chip resulting in a 44 code which refers to the same thermistor as the original 61 code. I once again substituted a 10 kohm value and tried a restart. back to the 61 again. I am thinking the pcb got a surge that did not kill it dead all at once. Any diagnostics to check the pcb?