PDA

View Full Version : The costs keep building....

Goober
29-06-2011, 02:33 AM
Sooooo......7am this Sunday I have a crane lift....60 ton crane, check. Traffic management, check. Subcontactor installer, check. Building owner informed and safety analysis completed, check. Building owners safety rep informed and safety analysis completed, check. Building Atrchitect informed and consulted and approved job, Check. Security company arranged to have gaurd onsite, check. Council permits obtained, check. Actual end cutomer informed, check. Drag my sorry ass out of the scratcher at 5am Sunday morning to be onsite before everybody else, to be checked!

All for a 90 kg fujitsu ABTA45LBTL lift up 4 stories.

Think I'll become a truck driver instead....

MikeHolm
29-06-2011, 02:38 AM
Put it in a bigger box so people won't laugh

mad fridgie
29-06-2011, 04:05 AM
From what you said in a past thread, why did you not carry it up, with your willy, what profit that would have been

Goober
29-06-2011, 05:22 AM
Mad Fridgie, Sigh.....back in the day I would have strapped the unit to my back and scaled the outside of the building......I'm not allowed to show off my superman skills anymore.

Magoo
29-06-2011, 06:18 AM
Goober,
next time look at using a helicopter, less drama all done in minutes. they pick up from trailor in local parking area and deliver onto roof. Only real problem is sticky beeks that stop and watch, so do it at 4.00am in morning.

Goober
29-06-2011, 07:41 AM
Magoo....didn't even think of it on this job. Did on a job years ago and it came up cheaper to use but that job never actually got off the ground........

r.bartlett
29-06-2011, 08:36 AM
Cheaper to dismantle and take up in bits and reassemble. If done correctly it won't affect warranty

mad fridgie
29-06-2011, 08:59 AM
Cheaper to dismantle and take up in bits and reassemble. If done correctly it won't affect warranty
And thats not a silly idea

Goober
29-06-2011, 12:51 PM

Mmmmm......yeah, yeah maybe. Didn't think of that either. Although the hatch in the roof is only 550mm square and its a step ladder upto that....Did measure it in the hope we could manhandle the thing up complete. But whatever way we looked at it....square peg in a round hole.

That chopper idea is growing on me...might make a few calls in the morning, might not be to late to cancel the crane, the traffic managment, the permits....I won't go on.....

MikeHolm
29-06-2011, 01:39 PM
There are also rentable hoists you can dismantle that will go up that hole size and 4 stories is not high from a wind perspective. I do it with solar and other equipment often enough. Defo cheaper than a copter.

SeanB
03-07-2011, 08:38 PM
Saw them doing the same for a pair of new water coolers for the government building near me one sunday. The crane, the closed roads, the 15 storey lift.

Not as much fun as watching them bring a Super Frelon in to do the removal and replacement of the units from another building a few years ago. That brought back memories of how that hoist works, and the 3 safeties it has, 2 being pyrotechnic charges to disconnect the cable in an emergency, the other being a good loadmaster to read the strain gauge and make sure of the load in the first place.

install monkey
03-07-2011, 08:52 PM
how much red tape is involved in getting a recip saw on your roof hatch???

SeanB
04-07-2011, 07:20 PM
My solution was an angle grinder to the window, and rivet it back in place afterwards. Was easier than lowering the unit from the roof into the air well, or temporarily removing all the razor wire that keeps the unit from being a scrap yard candidate.